PK-451 : Packard Victoria ++++ FINISHED ++++

Three days of no activity (but lots of thinking time, experimenting and dry fitting) and then a burst of activity today.

Outer bodywork sprayed yellow. Interior painted satin black to simulate leather. Inner and outer bodywork installed, and the gaps between the two filled with layers of plastic card to simulate the door recesses. The doors (not shown as they were still under construction when the picture was taken) have had similar treatment. Door pillars, firewall with attached sidelights, dashboard and the steering column added. I have sourced some black felt so there's going to be some nice carpet installed (shortly).

spacer.png

I test fitted one of the back sections of one wheel, and it's such a tight fit, I can't get it off without risking snapping the axle, so there's currently one half wheel on my wagon. I've also painted the wheel hubs red, as they didn't look right as aluminium. Somehow, and I've no idea how or when, I've broke off the near side rear bumper bracket (see "hook" thing on the rear off side). Not happy about that.

More work was done this evening, but I'm waiting for daylight to take more pictures. There has also been some minute scratch-building going on, which I'm very pleased with.

Stay tuned.

• Like 6

Things are moving very quickly now. Here's the state of play right now.

spacer.png

A wheel at each corner, right hand side bonnet attached, wooden trim to bodywork painted, and two scratch built coolant pipes added to the top and bottom of the engine to connect the radiator to the engine. Carpet and gear lever installed.

The window winder handles are only a tiny engravings in the plastic, so last night I worked on building some replacements. They just need tidying up, chroming with the Molotov pen and adding to the door cards and rear passenger compartment.

spacer.png

It'll soon be time for the shiny bits!

• Like 6

Looking great Mike. Amazing how this is all coming together now. Lots of small sun assemblies then bang… it’s looking all car like. 
Cheers and nice updates.. Dave 

• Like 1

A gentle canter towards the end now.

This is where the car is at 10:35 this morning.

spacer.png

Not many bits to add, and there's no more painting, only gluing (maybe a touch up here and there).

The folding bonnet has been done, and looks the business (no picture, but trust me). The rest of the day is gluing on the rest of the shiny bits, the windscreen and finally the doors and the canvas top.

Next picture will be the finished article.

Edited by Mike Dean
Forgot to add the picture
  • Like 5

Not the finished picture yet, but coming soon!

Two of the last bits to go on are the chrome, soft top folding brackets. Having cut them from the sprue, I hadn't realised one of them was broken and the broken bit missing. So I had to scratch build the lower section of the one on the right to make a mirror image of the one on the left. To give the idea of scale, the new bit is 4mm long. They have now been added to the soft top and looking good. I didn't realise I could do such small work, so I'm crafting new skills on this build, and doing things I didn't think I was capable of.

spacer.png

Edited by Mike Dean
  • Like 6

Here we are then, the end of the road so to speak. The light is not the best here: I might take some more pictures in better light for the gallery.

spacer.png

And with the soft top removed to show the internal detail:

spacer.png

Here's a list of modifications:

• Front axle modified to turn the wheels out
  • Bonnet fixed in the open position
  • Coolant pipes added to connect the engine to the radiator top and bottom
  • HT lead covers added to the top of the engine
  • Fan belt added (not that you can see it, but I know it's there!)
  • Rear view mirror removed from spare tyre drivers side, and placed on the back seat
  • Front windscreen tilted open
  • Doors cut out, door recesses added, new door cards created with added door closeure handles and window winder handles (front and back)
  • Front passenger seat tilted forward
  • Carpet added
  • Front door window glass cut down/removed (rear windows slide up and down in their reccess!)

Other than that, everything else is as per the kit.

I'm quite proud of that! :)

Edited by Mike Dean
typos (again).
  • Like 11

Sensational Mike, that looks every bit as good as it should be. Lovely paintwork, assembly and modifications all point to the perfect modelling package. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Here is an OOB build I acquired many years ago (with missing windscreen!), alongside my group build. I forgot to mention that I changed the licence plate to 620 WJH to match the real example shown up thred.

spacer.png

Edited by Mike Dean
  • Like 8

• Mike Dean changed the title to PK-451 : Packard Victoria ++++ FINISHED ++++
  • 4 months later...