4th,last,and the ghost I fear the most. PK129 the Meteor NF 11/14.

Hi folk's,way back when this kit came out I eagerly took it home,opened it up and after trying to build it

had a modelling meltdown and left the hobby for a good few years! To be fair it wasn't really the kit but that 

spell we've all experienced when other thing's come into your life but I remember it was awful.

Well I was trawling e-bay for a final build saw it for £8:99 took a punt and here we are

maybe I now have the patience to stick with it and have another go.We shall see🙄

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/matchbox-pk-129-armstrong-whitworth-meteor--122482

• Like 9

Great to see you are facing your demons and having another go at this one.

Fear not, lots of us are on hand in this GB to apply, hand holding, mickey taking, encouragement and commiserations where appropriate, so trust me relax we've got it covered :thumbsup:

Enjoy this one mate.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

For such a seasoned and well established modeller, I’m sure you will overcome any issues that this box of coloured plastic may throw at you, Steve. Now should those ghosts of the past happen to reappear,  just quietly pack it away and send it on to the @theplasticsurgeon. Tim has tamed the beast seven times already and will probably eat the eighth one happily for breakfast, given another chance! 

Cheers and lets think positive thoughts mate.. Dave 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Kit arrived today doesn't look half as daunting as I remember it back in the day time will tell,I'm leaning towards the Belgian scheme

as I do like the framed canopy.I won't post box art etc I think the basics have been well covered with other proposed build's.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Watch the decs - see my post on Nigel's build re potential problems. Also, just looked at my write up of the build I did a couple of years ago and should you be building wheels down, it looks like I used 13g noseweight and perhaps could have got away with less. I also have a Freightdog resin replacement nose for the NF 14 but did not use it as the kit one seems pretty close - I gather there were mistakes made over measurments leading to the belief the kit one was too short in some references.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PeterB said:

I gather there were mistakes made over measurements leading to the belief the kit one was too short in some references.

From what I've read (mainly on BM) the NF.11 nose is fine and you should use the NF.12 nose if modelling that version or the NF.14. 

Matchbox provides and even longer nose for the NF.14, however many well versed scribes on here would suggest that's too long and not correct.  

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, PeterB said:

I seem to remember that @John Aero of Aeroclub did explain the nose "problem" in an article on the Meteor on BM a few years back.

Pete

He did, and it's the NF14 one that's too long.

My only memory of problems with this is the attachment for the rear fuselage/tail fin can be a bit weak and the guns on mine were broken when I opened the box.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Thought I'd drop in and say hello. I've read the bits about the nose but I've gone with the longer version of the NF-14 just so it looks like the box art :wink:

Cheers

NIgel

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Steve,

Thought I'd drop in and say hello. I've read the bits about the nose but I've gone with the longer version of the NF-14 just so it looks like the box art :wink:

Cheers

NIgel

Thanks for dropping in Nigel.I had a little session tonight cleaning up the parts and trying a dry run of part's

miht get a start on the cockpit this week.

• Like 1

Hi folk's I decided yesterday due to my reservations of this kit to crack on to see what problems would crop up and how much

I could do before the bin beckoned! So putting all others to one side off I went.I've not detailed the cockpit with belt's etc but now

thing's have turned out so well I will,there's no getting over the poor fit(well to be fair gaps) but a mix of hard and flexi filler did the 

job and I'm happy to prime her next session a dry fit shows a nice fit of the glazing which will need carefull painting,so far so good.

20220116_194950

20220116_195026

• Like 18

Looking good Steve.

However, I've just noticed that although it's the same box, our kit parts are reverse colours (my fus is green with the wings being grey)!! I wonder, did they just pour what they pleased on any given day?? :wonder:

• Haha 2

Hi folk's,while the airbrush was out for the Skyraider I primed the Meteor,a little filler is needed on the odd spot but I'll use flexi so no sanding.

20220117_194418

• Like 16

You're making that look really good Steve, I've plans for one of these in that scheme too, I had thoughts to do for for this GB, but then everyone got the same idea. ;) :D Maybe if my Buffalo gets along OK I could look at mine, maybe..... :shrug:

Steve.

• Like 2

Hi folk's still a bit of tidying to do once the canopy is fitted properly but for now I'll give the Matchbox builds a week of I'll not get 

much time at the bench next week anyway.

20220123_183955

• Like 10

Evening folk's,wheels fitted and left to dry for a couple of days,a black wash brings out the detail quite well.Just the canopy

to fit properly and a little filler to add then an arial or two she'll be in the gallery soon.

20220128_202645

20220128_202854

• Like 13

9 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

She's looking great Steve! Did you have a locating holes for the UC?

I'm asking as mine didn't hence had to take a bit of a stab as where the parts should be located!!

Thank's Nigel,I'm glad I've seen this build through as I had such a bad opinion of this kit which wasn't really justified,no holes for the

u/c was a poor move on Matchbox's behalf so yes Guesswork was needed!

• Like 3