PK-125 Noorduyn Norseman

My first entry in the Group Build will be the Noorduyn Norseman, a kit first produced by Matchbox in 1981.  I have the 1982 boxing,

which like the original one, is listed as PK-125.

spacer.png

This, as you can see, was purchased for the princely sum of £2 - as far as I recall, at the kitswop in Scale Model World at Telford a couple of years ago.

spacer.png

The kit shows that characteristic Matchbox three colour sprue layout, plus a small sprue of transparent parts.

spacer.png

However, no doubt due to the age of the kit, the decals are, to say the least, somewhat suspect.

spacer.png

As it happens, I have also the later Revell re-boxing of the kit, dated 2009. 

spacer.png

While the box is somewhat worn, the decals look to be fine. 

spacer.png

Of course, the sprues are the same, though now entirely in light grey.  I propose to use the decals from that kit, with the first

option, that of the Saskatchewan Government Air Ambulance Service in 1949,  for the Matchbox kit.  Not sure yet whether to go

for the skis or the floats....

spacer.png

If time allows, I may add a second entry, doing the other decal option in the Revell kit, of a military

aircraft (UC-64A), from 1944, complete with D-Day stripes, and on wheels.

Looking forward to the start on January 8th!

Philip

• Like 13

An excellent choice even if I say so myself. I've previously built two and have another stashed for a rainy day. I honestly think you need to purchase yourself a third kit which will make the hard choice between "wheels, skis' floats?" so much easier to solve!  

Cheers, welcome abroad and best of luck. Dave 

• Like 2

Thanks for those comments,, folks.  There seems to be a bit of a consensus that the float version is a good idea.

"Oh well...I guess....OK"  (as a celebrated character in a Stephen Sondheim musical once said*),  I will go with the float version.........maybe famous last words.....

So - a question for the Britmodeller hive mind.  In my internet search, I have heard that this Matchbox kit is a bit of a mixture of a Mark IV Norseman and a Mark VI.   What is the difference, and what changes do I need to make to the Matchbox kit to do the kit's decal version of the Saskatchewan Government Air Ambulance Service aircraft 'CF-SAM'?  (I already know about the flying surfaces being over pronounced, so these will be meeting my sanding stick very soon).

Thanks,

Philip

(*  Stephen Sondheim's musical:-  "Company" - see  this clip for context...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T062wD825JQ.  The whole performance is worth watching, if you have the time...especially the actress playing Kathy.....😗)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have begun, by sanding down the exaggerated flying surfaces on the wings and tail, and I have just done a coat of primer - Mr Surfacer 1500 white - on all of the yellow plastic.  Not worth photos yet, to be honest, as there is nothing to see.

Once I get something done on the interior, then I will post up something more.   Many thanks for those photos @dogsbody   👍

Philip

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2022 at 16:00, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Philip,

Look forward to seeing the photos later on.

Cheers Pat

so would I, Pat.

All my photos seem to have disappeared, to be replaced by small little.png logos, all over Britmodeller, including from last year.  (the photos were in .jpg format from Village Photos)    Don't know what is happening....Chris's (dogsbody) photos are still visible to me....

Can you still see the photos in the earlier posts??

Philip

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Prenton said:

so would I, Pat.

All my photos seem to have disappeared, to be replaced by small little.png logos, all over Britmodeller, including from last year.  (the photos were in .jpg format from Village Photos)    Don't know what is happening....Chris's (dogsbody) photos are still visible to me....

Philip

V.P has been having issues now for most of the past week.

See here: 

Chris

Yes I got the same with someone else's pictures too, hosted by Village. My phone says it doesn't like the security certificate!?! 

I found if I click on the the little png square, it takes me to the photo but tells me I'm in an insecure site. Shrug! So BM doesn't auto imbed the pictures. 

I expect they'll update their security code or whatever at Village and all will be well in the world, again, for a while, till the next glitch...... 

Glad someone else is having a go at the Norseman float plane 👍😅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prenton said:

so would I, Pat.

Philip

Sorry Philip, I can't see the pictures, I was having the same trouble with one posted by @825 I assumed it was my steam driven mobile phone that was the problem  !

I look forward to seeing your progress when the pictures appear 

cheers Pat 

Well - something has happened, as my photos at the start of this thread have re-appeared....so here's hoping.....

As I was saying,...

So I did some sanding on the fuselage, and tail, and also on the lower wings, and then gave everything that was yellow a primer coat

using the Mr Surfacer, cut with about 40% Gunze levelling thinner.  Does a great job, that does..

This allows me to show, in respect of the upper wings, how much of the exaggerated flying surfaces on the upper wings needed to be

sanded off - here you can see the lower wings, already sanded and primed, and the upper wings, both primed, and with one of the two

sanded. The other one awaits my attention.

spacer.png

I think that this shows just how much needs to be sanded off to give a more realistic impression of the true appearance of the wings, as

seen in the photos.  Of course, I will need to do a further primer coat, but I think it was worth it to just show how much needs to be taken

off. (Early Matchbox kits need some work, but, in fairness, not so much as a similarly produced Airfix kit of the time, with all of those rivets

with which Airfix festooned their creations then....)

As it happens, having looked at a LOT of photos, I am leaving the flaps and ailerons with nothing but a very light sanding, as the photos

seem to show that the fabric effect was more pronounced on those than on the wings.

More later in the week. Thanks for looking,.

Philip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...