Mobius 2001 Space Clipper in 1/72 due early 2022

SallysDad

I believe it is a new kit.
At 1/72 scale, it should be quite large compared to the existing one, about 29” overall. But it does come with cockpit and cabin details…NO Pan Am decals.
It’s up for preorder now, @$160 from https://www.culttvmanshop.com/2001-Space-Clipper--large-kit-172-scale--from-Moebius-Models--15999--PREORDER-RESERVATION-_p_6868.html
I’ve done the existing one (1/160th ish) but I don’t have room for the new one!

Here is mine

p?i=8ca7c6b782b56ea4b754ddb3f67d4086

The Pan Am decals are second sourced.

Edited by Bejay53
  • Like 8

You’re welcome. 
I need a new work space. I’d love to have the new clipper, the 1/350 Discovery and the new 1/48 Aires 1B moon shuttle.

I do have the moon bus to build and that will be it for 2001 kits. I can hope for a 1/72 Aires 1B!?

I will try for the 1/72 shuttle. Why not... after the great collapse of civilization, my savings will not be worth anything anyway.... :) 

At least I will have something special to work on while I tend to my potato fields.

I know... watching way too much SF, listening to too much doom and gloom news. 

But seriously, I'm almost 70, so I am going to treat myself a bit more while I am still here.

I have played with the idea of getting a small Discovery, and then using that as a template and guide to building a bigger version.... not 1/72 though.

I hope you can get that shuttle too.

Happy New year.

Randy

On 01/01/2022 at 04:57, Bejay53 said:

You’re welcome. 
I need a new work space. I’d love to have the new clipper, the 1/350 Discovery and the new 1/48 Aires 1B moon shuttle.

I do have the moon bus to build and that will be it for 2001 kits. I can hope for a 1/72 Aires 1B!?

I would temper ones expectations. The Moebius 1/48 Aries 1B has been in the works for over two years and I'm not aware of a recent update of its progress. That said, it would not surprise me if the Orion jumped the queue so to speak.

Tommo.

5 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I would temper ones expectations. The Moebius 1/48 Aries 1B has been in the works for over two years and I'm not aware of a recent update of its progress. That said, it would not surprise me if the Orion jumped the queue so to speak.

Tommo.

The moebius 1/48 Aries in on preorder now.

Sounds like a nice kit, interesting. 

I tend to like kits of similar scale so you can compare them, so the Aries in 1/72 would be interesting to go with the Orion shuttle. 

I know that is not always possible. Years ago I visited the Smithsonian museum and viewed a 1/72 kit of the USS Enterprise, US navy. 

It was massive, beautiful, detailed. Covered with 1/72 Tomcats also. Wonder how much a kit of that Enterprise would cost? 

18 hours ago, Bejay53 said:

Thanks, however, I have had on pre-order from Cult for very nearly two years.

Tommo.

• 4 weeks later...

Curious to see that Moebius has included two parallel strips just behind the hatch where the landing light is located.  These do not show on any photos of the actual filming model as far as I know.  They do look identical to the styrene strips I added on the Atomic City build to hide the nasty resin joint between the passenger and cockpit sections of the kit.  I don't recall any other built models of the Orion having these two strips.  Such an odd coincidence!

MOEBIUS 1/72 KIT:

spacer.png

MY BUILD OF THE 44 INCH ATOMIC CITY ORION:

spacer.png

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Jeddahbill
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks they saw your photo’s and mimicked it in there build ? 

Maybe.  The only reason I added these strips to the fuselage was to hide the ugly parts joint and to cover a misaligned panel line molded into the resin.  I did not have any reference to add these and have never seen them on any Orion, so I wonder why did Moebius include these strips? 

Here is the WIP I posted in 2019:

And here is a WIP photo of when I added these strips as scratch built parts:

spacer.png

Regards,

Bill

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 7:54 PM, Neil Lambess said:

"My God it's full of parts"

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Graham

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2022 at 2:54 PM, Neil Lambess said:

The platz blog also has the Aires 1b up 

"My God it's full of parts"

March release in Japan . Mobeius has reported on face book that the kits are produced just waiting on a chinese wharf for shipping ...

At least two builds up on YouTube. The best so far is Lou Dalmaso on his “Aztec dummy” channel.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just had a look at the production kit parts on the HobbyTalk forum.  A little disappointed, it appears that Moebius could have done better and produced a really superb kit with just a little more effort.

Panel details on the fuselage are very pronounced and looks awkward.  Exhaust area is smooth, no strip details included.  No flight crew or passengers figures included.  No landing gear included which would have been great as it can be a problem to display such a large model on a stand.  No Pan Am decals.

The two wrap around strips on the fuselage behind the hatch as seen on the preproduction images are still there - I have yet to see these on any photos of the filming model.  Not sure why they included these, but they will be difficult to remove.  I included these on my 44" build a few years ago to hide a large part seam and later Larsons Designs oddly added them also to their 1/72 resin kit mastered by Alfred Wong.  Have yet to see these anywhere else.

Interior parts look very good and the wings appear to be correct, but may have some overly thick panel details.  With some work to correct the surface detail flaws and the addition of figures, decals and lighting this kit can probably look fantastic.

Bill

Edited by Jeddahbill