1/18 Curtiss P40C

airscale

thanks fellas :)

so... part three of the transparencies - with two done without issue, this canopy hood surely would be the screw up..

..started by steaming & draping some PETG over a form - the shape is constant so that made it a bit easier, then from drawings determined the shape..

..also started making framing from litho..

sQBJqj.jpg

..spent time scoring the middle of the frames onto the hood.. you might just be able to see it..

lgcg4z.jpg

..started with the bottoms and the ends..

70mIaX.jpg

..and then it happened - the inevitable...

as I was finishing up for the night, I went to wipe some fingerprints off, and they wouldn't move... I tried CA debonder and acrylic thinner, both of which seemed to leave no mark but these were not shifting - I even tried polywatch which is for polishing scarred watch faces but no luck...

YSJqXP.jpg

..I still don't know what happened, but it meant the part was scrap and time to start again..

..I ordered some latex finger cots, but they were a few days away so I experimented by cutting the film from the PETG where the frames were and then CAing parts to it... it seemed if a brand new blade was used i could splash about CA with no weeping or damage to the glass...

dZlfcz.jpg

..so with that, I made a new one and cut everywhere I had to attach litho..

..as long as tape wasn't used, or I did anything to lift the edges this should work..

kjJmCK.jpg

..then spent a day adding the frames inside & out - there must be 50 parts to it...

dGNRWg.jpg

oxloa3.jpg

sqF4QX.jpg

..the interior was harder and included the emergency release handle..

NaYvBd.jpg

..then I primed & painted it with the blue masks in place..

..I can tell you it was a twitchy moment pulling the blue stuff off, but thankfully it worked really well..

FUTnvt.jpg

Iw4pCF.jpg

JhnxL1.jpg

hhMsBH.jpg

0pj6q0.jpg

HHuFJq.jpg

ZTBxRj.jpg

..still more to do, including the lower fairings but I am really glad thats all over...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 30

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Peter,

Looking back at your photos I cannot see how you sorted out the machine gun fairings and carb intake fairing on the nose.  I know you had skinned around them but don't see them detailed explicitly.  Your latest shots appear to suggest their skinned.  Just wondering how you worked out those fiddly parts and how it went?

Otherwise, insert standing applause [ here ] for a most excellent job!  Truly inspirational!!

• Like 1

Each time I click into this thread I am stunned. The work is absolutely fantastic! Piece by piece, it is spectacular and together it is even greater than the sum of its pieces.

Very, very well done

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

howdy folks :)

thanks for all your kind comments - very inspiring :)

after a few weeks getting my next project underway with 3D design & print & huge PE frets, I am back to the P40...

it's been lots of little jobs including...

ailerons - these were 3D printed blanks then skinned with very thin plastic card scored with a ballpoint for the ribs and then decal ribtapes..

3rmQTS.jpg

j6064H.jpg

..the underside is ready for the US ARMY markings when I can get some masks done..

No79iB.jpg

..wingtips - these are different to ones I have done before in they have an upper and lower panel sandwiching a frame..

WTFwRa.jpg

stabiliser and fin tips..

kY1QV3.jpg

Zez06B.jpg

..the unit marking..

OjKwq6.jpg

..the nose guns..

Sxlrtc.jpg

..the mainwheels were 3D printed, painted and a litho hub made up..

YSjcz0.jpg

HZIUhg.jpg

..and the tailwheel & fork..

1wz07X.jpg

..I can't stand it on it's gear yet, as they just rotate on their mounts, but it is nearing the finish line..

IwwTq0.jpg

all I really need are the masks so i can paint the markings, in the background I am making the gear doors, pitot tube and bomb sway braces, but in terms of construction there is not much more to go..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 24

thanks all

Right - it's done...

started 29 December 2021, finished 9th May 2023 so 17 months in the making...

there are still a few bits to do - mainly the flaps - jury is out on these as while I spent a lot of time making them, I have not seen one picture with the flaps down at rest so I may just close them up...

Max on LSP helped me out with the masks and they were perfect (thanks Max :)) & lots of bits done in the last weeks to get it pretty much done. i really enjoyed the build and learned a lot so here are some pics...

NXbpxg.jpg

kq9rut.jpg

7B0fxV.jpg

q1bMdA.jpg

TGZXmQ.jpg

NlB7gk.jpg

wLd9IV.jpg

jWaLl6.jpg

tANfJF.jpg

XawM9z.jpg

Q6JeZ1.jpg

bpYSpa.jpg

kb2AHF.jpg

467WrS.jpg

5fIo1T.jpg

so thats it

onto the next one - which is a 3D experiment with very few skills that has got totally out of hand..

GsGa94.jpg

pJwpFA.jpg

thanks for coming along for the ride :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 25