The Mighty Habu - Revell's new tool SR-71A Blackbird! *new pics - engines*

Great looking build, Looks like the real deal! 

However I won't be building one @ nearly €100 in the LMS so I don't think that price tag is worth it,

Good luck to Revell for doing it but not forking out that for something that will be stuck in the loft forever. I stick with me 1/72 birds for now.

• Like 1

Wow that was a quick build! Last I looked you were dealing with the legs and primer! 

Absolutely outstanding work as always, what a lovely finish.

This ones too big for me but very impressive to see one put together already, you've set a very high bar for those that follow.

Eng

• Thanks 1

Built at the speed of Mach 3! Lovely end result, I’ll go over your build thread and make notes re the issues you’ve discovered in the instructions if you don’t mind? It’s prove an invaluable document, of that I have no doubt. 

I’m still soldering on with my now obsolete Italeri SR-71B build. My bench looks like it has a thin layer of snow covering it, but in reality it’s dust from sanded filler…

• Thanks 1

This is a real beauty Alan. Excellent work!

I built my "Ichi Ban" out of the Testor's kit and it was horrible; I've never used so much Milliput on a single model. And then I re-scribed all the panel lines...

I will use your WIP as a reference when this kit becomes available here in Finland. My fingers have been itching already for quite awhile😉

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

Huge thanks to everyone who's replied, very much appreciate your generous comments 😊🙏

Those who've built the Italeri/Testors kit, if you've got space for another, you'll weep with joy building this 😂 

Thanks again and wishing you all a happy New Year 😊

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

that’s really impressive. This is really a beast! Glad to see it first built from a professional modelbuilder like you. The details are spot on and your weathering nails it absolutely! Can imagine that it is hard to make pictures, due to the 70 cm length. Seems to be that you had a lot of fun through the built, as the WIP shows. That’s what I like!

Thank you very much for sharing!!

A happy new year!

Andy 

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 6:09 AM, drake122 said:

Very nice, but, er... main undercarriage wheels look like they have a metal finish? Is that supposed to be like that? 🤔

G'day Drake, the wheels were impregnated with aluminium to cope with the high temps

Pappy

• Thanks 1

G'day Alan,

Well done and thank you for a great review and the finished ' article'  (sorry couldn't help it), I wish all reviewers were as thorough,

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks very much everyone, I'm very glad you found the build thread useful and interesting, that was always the intention.  The input from many different contributors really brought a lot of good general information together, along with the build tips.

Thanks very, very much again for your kind words 🙏

Hello Alan, and happy new year.
Congratulations for your magnificent build of the SR-71, observations and detailed explanations.
Your build thread will undoubtedly remain for a while THE reference to follow.
To be honest, I was viewing the britmodeller forums on a regular basis, but it is your build thread that prompted me to take the plunge and sign up.
Big fan of the SR-71, it takes me back to my many memories at RAF Mildenhall in the 80s🤐.
Although visually not very useful for details on the aircraft, may I share here with you this video where Kelly Johnson speaks about "his" plane?

I am still unfamiliar with the rules of the forums, so please the moderators forgive me if this sharing is inappropriate.

Cheers,

Pascal

Edited by Froggy2A
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much Pascal @Froggy2A and Tony @F-32 

On 1/5/2022 at 7:15 PM, Froggy2A said:

I am still unfamiliar with the rules of the forums, so please the moderators forgive me if this sharing is inappropriate.

Not a problem, it's hardly inappropriate!

Cheers,

Alan

• Thanks 1