PK-116 Mosquito +++FINISHED+++

Greetings peeps😉

I acquired this kit in a swap with a fellow BMer. It came in a Matchbox Black Beaufighter box so sadly no lovely box art to share. This means there is no paint scheme to follow and the original transfers are awol. 

I have also noticed that it is slightly started with phase 1 being complete albeit without crew figures. Well under the 25% rule.

I have attained the new Airfix kit so I will have a few pointers for adding some internals as the kit typically lacks much in the way of internal detail. 

Looking forward to getting started. Photos to follow.

IMG-20211229-152741.jpg

IMG-20211229-152902.jpg

IMG-20211229-162828.jpg

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 14

Hi Greg.

the Mosie is definitely cool!

But I have no idea of what you mean when you mention a Matchbox black box... 

Sounds very hush hush!

JR

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jean said:

But I have no idea of what you mean when you mention a Matchbox black box... 

Jean - I believe the Matchbox term 'Black Box' is in reference to the change of box art design and logo around the 1982-83 period. I'm sure someone will confirm or deny this later down the track. It was also a period where the EU governments took offence at anything that even resembled a firing machine gun, so made model kit manufacturers tone down their 'action packed' artwork to something a lot more sedate. Many of Roy Huxley's beautiful 70's era paintings were completely changed and IMO completely ruined, hence why the initial releases are going for some serious money these days. 

Greg, great to see the Mossie announced and this WIP thread created. The Mosquito is certainly a design that you can easily get away with in a Matchbox kit as there's very minimal panel lines and has an overall beautifully smooth skin. This should look really good once finished. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Jean - I believe the Matchbox term 'Black Box' is in reference to the change of box art design and logo around the 1982-83 period. I'm sure someone will confirm or deny this later down the track. It was also a period where the EU governments took offence at anything that even resembled a firing machine gun, so made model kit manufacturers tone down their 'action packed' artwork to something a lot more sedate. Many of Roy Huxley's beautiful 70's era paintings were completely changed and IMO completely ruined, hence why the initial releases are going for some serious money these days. 

Hi Dave,

thank you for educating this French bush bumpkin!

With political correctness in full swing nowadays, I am surprised a firing machine gun is allowed again! I guess it depends whom it is firing at...

Anyway, thanks to you I shall die a little less stupid (but there is still a long way to go).

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Greg, great to see the Mossie announced and this WIP thread created. The Mosquito is certainly a design that you can easily get away with in a Matchbox kit as there's very minimal panel lines and has an overall beautifully smooth skin. This should look really good once finished. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Cheers Dave,

Spot on with the Black box too. Political correctness has been a real killjoy in respect of boxart from the past but I guess that's progress for ya! 

Looking forward to the start of this GB immensely.

All the best and Happy New Year when it comes

Greg👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olmec Head said:

Greg

I have just found out that I have the same kit  as retrieved from the loft, I might do the fighter version...

Cool! 

I have no decals with mine as its second hand trade. I couldn't find AM decals for the NF version so will probably build the glass nose job. Either way I look forward to seeing how our builds progress. 

Enjoy your Mossie 🤓

Cheers Greg 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Cool! 

I have no decals with mine as its second hand trade. I couldn't find AM decals for the NF version so will probably build the glass nose job. Either way I look forward to seeing how our builds progress. 

Greg, I’m 110% sure I’ve got the No. 105 Squadron decals for this Matchbox kit, so if you’re going with the kit option just let me know and I’ll post them over. You could also use the No, 109 Squadron ‘HS’ codes that come with the new tool Airfix Mk. XVI kit. Both 105 and 109 operated Mk.IX Mossie bombers as part of No. 8 PFF group. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Do you want a set of props for your Mossie?

The Matchbox ones are neither 'needle' nor 'paddle' shape. 

A set from the Airfix kit puts things aright.

If you'd like a pair of props, foc, just PM me

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Greg, I’m 110% sure I’ve got the No. 105 Squadron decals for this Matchbox kit, so if you’re going with the kit option just let me know and I’ll post them over. You could also use the No, 109 Squadron ‘HS’ codes that come with the new tool Airfix Mk. XVI kit. Both 105 and 109 operated Mk.IX Mossie bombers as part of No. 8 PFF group. 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Do you want a set of props for your Mossie?

The Matchbox ones are neither 'needle' nor 'paddle' shape. 

A set from the Airfix kit puts things aright.

If you'd like a pair of props, foc, just PM me

Guys thank you very much for the kind offers.

BK I'm not at home at the moment so can't check the kit. Once I get back home I will let you know.

Dave OBS I don't have decals so if you can spare yours they would be most welcome. I will PM you when I get back.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 2

Hello again,

I have finally got underway with the Mossie. Comparing it to the new Airfix kit is a bit unfair but does  show how simplified the Matchbox kit is. Particularly the undercarriage and the cockpit. 

I may do a little bit of scratch building in these areas but be warned scratch building is not my forte. Mostly it will be OOTB with some basic additions 

I have started by assembling the wings and joining them to the respective fuselage halves, which in the photos are only taped together. This is so i can rub down and fill the wing attachments on the insides before i fit the basic cockpit floor, which i am going to replace with plastic card and reposition the pilots seat and add the armor plate to it. I will add a rudimentary instrument panel as the kit does not provide one, and the rear shelf behind the crew to shut off the view in to the rear fuselage. 

Here are some pics meantime. Now if you will excuse me i have "work" to do :) 

TFL  Cheers Greg

IMG-20220111-194258.jpg

IMG-20220111-194228.jpg

IMG-20220111-202208.jpg

IMG-20220111-202821.jpg

IMG-20220111-202906.jpg

• Like 12

Hi, 

Could anyone viewing this thread let me know if my photos are too small to view please? 

I have switched to Postimages from Flickr and I may be doing something wrong 😒

Thanks. Greg 

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi, 

Could anyone viewing this thread let me know if my photos are too small to view please? 

I have switched to Postimages from Flickr and I may be doing something wrong 😒

Thanks. Greg 

Your images are showing around 320 pixels wide, I'd be aiming for 800-1000px, max 1200px wide for modern computer screens, so 3 times bigger would be ideal. 

Try and keep file size 2-300kb so page loading speed is fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I'm on a 15 inch screen lap-top.

The images are on the smaller side but easily viewed.

I'd say, maybe about 50% bigger would be nicer

Thanks Fred 👍

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Your images are showing around 320 pixels wide, I'd be aiming for 800-1000px, max 1200px wide for modern computer screens, so 3 times bigger would be ideal. 

Try and keep file size 2-300kb so page loading speed is fast.

Thanks for that Dave,

I'll see what I can do for the next batch

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

Evening all!

As i suggested in the last post i have tried a bit of scratch building in the pit. Where possible i have retained or reused the Matchbox parts. The cockpit floor was chopped up and has been used to fashion the stepped fight station as well as the nav seat. The bottom of said original seat has fashioned the radio(?) box at the rear shelf. I have also cobbled up a IP.

Hopefully the pics will be self explanatory. I have since started painting the bits up readu for installation in the fuse. Onward and upwards

Thanks for looking, cheers Greg

IMG-20220115-112816.jpg

IMG-20220115-112830.jpg

IMG-20220115-112928.jpg

IMG-20220115-113512.jpg

• Like 12

11 hours ago, TimJ said:

Nice cockpit detailing, it looks a lot better. 👍

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great job on the cockpit Greg, looks good fella.

Chris

Thank you folks, much appreciated 👍

• Like 1