Airfix 1/72 C-47 'Drag Em Oot'

Hi all.

This build was a bit out of my comfort zone. I usually build 1/48 jet aircraft. Someone who made several para jumps from this aircraft during a battle of Arnhem commemoration, asked me if I wanted to build this model for him. Since I like a challenge, I couldn't refuse.

The model was mostly built straight from the box. After the model was assembled, I decided to add rivets to the fuselage and wings. In my opinion that was something this model really needed.

The model was painted with MrHobby acrylic paints and weathered with Abteilung 502 oilpaint wash. The decals come from A Kits World set.

Thanks for watching.

René

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 58
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding! I love this! :clap2:

I didn't know decals were available for it. I read an interview of the pilot some years ago. IIRC, "Drag em oot" was the phonetic spelling of an expression used by his Canadian grandmother.

• Thanks 1

That is one beautiful C-47! Museum quality! If this is your 1st 1/72 scale effort, I would be afraid to see one of your 1/48 models- maybe you could do this one in your scale, using the Trumpeter kit? :worthy:

Mike

6 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That's amazing!  Perhaps it's outside your comfort zone, but it's certainly not outside your league.  It looks like the real thing, right down to the crew figures inside!  Which ones did you use?

Thank you. The pilot figures are the ones from the kit. They were designed in the fifties by the looks of it, Absolutely no detail at all.

René

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That is one beautiful C-47! Museum quality! If this is your 1st 1/72 scale effort, I would be afraid to see one of your 1/48 models- maybe you could do this one in your scale, using the Trumpeter kit? :worthy:

Mike

Thank you. There are several 1/48 builds of mine here on the site.

I do like the C-47 but in 1/48 scale it is way too large for me.

René

1 hour ago, HartDeco said:

Thank you. There are several 1/48 builds of mine here on the site.

I do like the C-47 but in 1/48 scale it is way too large for me.

René

Build it as a derelict and or in maintenance with the main wing off and just the centersection…just stack the wings besides it😉or crate them.

The real plane still has some patches from the bullet holes it recieved in Normandy and one is even in one of the cockpit seats!!

Great build René , lovely to see the small details👍👍👍.

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

René...

:wow:  :wow:

OUTSTANDING  build..You did a STUNNING  job on it.

She looks delightfully  LOVELY.

:clap:  :clap2:

What he said! Fantastic result for something you wouldn't usually build 👏👏👏

• Thanks 1