first attempt at stripes

a weekend edition (wish i had weekends as long as it took me to do this!) eduard spitfire Mk.ix late version.

painted from no 310 squadron appledram mid june '44.

went together with no problems, painted up well, even did some of my own roundels, and was happy with it up to the weathering.

really not sure where i go wrong with the weathering, but i'm never happy with it.

lgC3UHW.jpg

qL64CAb.jpg

ANyYE3O.jpg

2QTTrZm.jpg

oqinInP.jpg

IpGhHzO.jpg

JTCRabC.jpg

thanks for looking,

ken

• Like 31

Lovely model. It is often forgotten that the orders to apply the stripes were not issued until June 3 or 4, giving very little time for assorted ground crew to make busy with the black and white paint on a large number of aircraft. Perfect they would not have been, unlike those applied to preserved warbirds etc, and models.

9 hours ago, Farmer matt said:

Lovely model. It is often forgotten that the orders to apply the stripes were not issued until June 3 or 4, giving very little time for assorted ground crew to make busy with the black and white paint on a large number of aircraft. Perfect they would not have been, unlike those applied to preserved warbirds etc, and models.

Indeed, look at the ones being applied to the Spitfire in this archive photo

WHmxDht.jpg

They may not have gone all the way round the fuselage either.  If you look to the lower part the paint seems to stop, it’s quite possible that they wouldn’t have crawled underneath to finish off the stripes.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nheather said:

Indeed, look at the ones being applied to the Spitfire in this archive photo

WHmxDht.jpg

They may not have gone all the way round the fuselage either.  If you look to the lower part the paint seems to stop, it’s quite possible that they wouldn’t have crawled underneath to finish off the stripes.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ha ha, even my painting is better than than that. 

6 hours ago, Ken the panda said:

Ha ha, even my painting is better than than that. 

That's the conundrum.  If you apply stripes in a prototypically correct fashion it doesn't look realistic, it just looks like sloppy modelling.

Your Spitfire looks good to me.  Congratulations on unlocking the Invasion Stripe achievement!

• Like 1

Thats fantastic! Looks like a well used Spit but not too overdone.

Weathering is the deal breaker by this point in the build. I've learnt the hard way, but the best advice I could give is as soon as you think you've done enough stop and walk away from it. Come back to it several hours, or a day later and have another look, its easy too add more but not so easy to take it off again!! Loads of good reference pics and knowing the subject helps too 

Eng

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, eng said:

as soon as you think you've done enough stop and walk away from it. Come back to it several hours, or a day later and have another look

True :) 

It looks good but what about the weathering don't you like? Personally I find black basing which for me doubles as priming is a good start and I mottle the layers of colours with browns etc until I'm happy with a used paint look before I do a wash. Each to their own though. I saw guy's on YouTube doing it and went from there. There's a few good channels on YT if you don't already watch you'll get loads of ideas. I watch Scale A Ton and Plasmo.

Edited by Deano353
Spelling mistake