Airfix 1:72 Typhoon 1B. Part C45. Wotsit?

BobCNutt

18 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Probably additional "tropical" radiator. Look at the section 12 in instructions. Cheers

Jure

Thanks Jure.

It looks like that sort of thing. I've just spotted it in section 15 of the instructions. It just appears, unannounced, in the greyed out part of the drawing.👍

Must be a different kit number (mine is A02041). In my instructions, too, it lacks a part number, although it is marked with letter B to indicate its use with the second colour scheme. It is positioned under the central wing section just behind the regular radiator. Cheers

Jure

1 hour ago, BobCNutt said:

Anyone know what this part is?

I can't find it referred to in the instructions. It's a rhomboid type shape with what looks like venting/louvres. 

TIA

It's a late series air inlet filter, also seen on Tempests

Shown in section 12 of the original release instructions for decal scheme B

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/9/4/3/173943-63-instructions.pdf

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Must be a different kit number (mine is A02041). In my instructions, too, it lacks a part number, although it is marked with letter B to indicate its use with the second colour scheme. It is positioned under the central wing section just behind the regular radiator. Cheers

Jure

I think it's a different kit. Mines A02041A. 

3 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

It's a late series air inlet filter, also seen on Tempests

Shown in section 12 of the original release instructions for decal scheme B

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/9/4/3/173943-63-instructions.pdf

Thanks Dave.

It's not shown fitted on either of the schemes for my release of this kit (A02041A) and I can't see it on any of the photos of the aircraft itself, so I think I'll leave it off.

It's only marked on this kit, in Step 12:

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Hawker-Typhoon-Mk.IB-2913765.html

It's a carb air filter that was fitted after some Typhoon squardons moved to the continent after D-Day and were flying from dusty airstrips.

Chris

Hello

Yes Chris, that is the kit I have. Finn, I think those Typhoon had been sent to Sudan. Nevertheless, it was on one of the photos of those "trop" Typhoons that I first spotted the filter and incorrectly assumed, it was an additional radiator. Thanks for corrections, Dave and Chris. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

That's the kit I linked to above 🙂

29 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

It's a carb air filter that was fitted after some Typhoon squardons moved to the continent after D-Day and were flying from dusty airstrips.

Technically correct, but but not completely accurate

The solution for the dusty airstrips post D-Day was initially a dome shaped separator in front of the carb air intake, shortly followed by an annular filter. This was then superseded by the annular filter with the "cuckoo doors" on the front to cure the problem of the filter unit being blown off by intake backpressure.

The part being questioned is the final factory fit solution of a proper inbuilt carb inlet filter that could be selected in use for low level or ground running when needed and bypassed at higher level when not needed. It was only fitted to some Typhoons but the design was carried over to the Tempest VI and fitted in a similar mounting 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.

Great information.

Given that the part is referenced in the earlier release of the kit, and explicitly shown as an option in the instructions and fitted on one of the schemes, but barely features in my "A" release, I'll leave it off my No. 121 Wing, RAF aircraft. 

All the best.