PK-007 Westland Lysander in Irish service - DONE

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Just some paint and an oil wash on the engine and happy with that.

51838653771_1cb9189669_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_6.1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Nose now attached as is the landing gear. I drilled out the spats for some lights. 

51838771203_8f1535af49_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I know old kits get a hard time for their poor fit, non-detail or clunky parts...but apart from a small bit of filler at the tail, this has been a joy to build and I'm really enjoying it!

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 14

Thanks all.

Spent what felt like the weekend masking!

51853049895_d0653d15c3_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then sprayed Dark Earth and masked for the Dark Green.

51852718309_dcce9677d2_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_9 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

A few places to tidy up but very happy with that!

51852469923_4dc08ae71d_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_10 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 19

Just found this one. Looking forward to see the completed article.

Made a couple back in the day and don’t remember anything difficult, other than sweating on getting the wheels spats fixed without giving it a ‘wonk’! 

Trevor

• Thanks 1

I'd be more than happy with that as well Dermot. Masking always takes tens times as long as the actual painting process but it's all worth it in the end. She's looking great. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all and on to decals..

51867531916_83bb3dfb38_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_13 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Just the Celtic boss, a/c number and squadron badge by the cockpit.

51867531841_04c7c848a8_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_12 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I'll add the wing decals after painting the flag on the lower side. (which aren't on this decal set)

51867846994_657e1ffd0b_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_11 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 14

Always great to see decals applied to glossy models. It’s a shame Max didn't provide those underwing flags, as matching those colours could get a little tricky. I’ve been after that decal sheet for a good while and thought it was going to get a reprint at some stage. To be honest I haven’t checked in a while, so this has reminded me to do so. Nice progress Dermot. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Always great to see decals applied to glossy models. It’s a shame Max didn't provide those underwing flags, as matching those colours could get a little tricky. I’ve been after that decal sheet for a good while and thought it was going to get a reprint at some stage. To be honest I haven’t checked in a while, so this has reminded me to do so. Nice progress Dermot. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Speaking of which @Rabbit Leader, just announced over on FB today by Joe at Max Decals..

"Hi All, We will be back in the Autumn with some favourites and some new releases.

Max7206R Aer Lingus Classics DC-3, DH-84, DH-86, DH-89- updated based on recent research.

Max 7208R DHC-2 Beaver selection - update with new options

Max 7211R Antarctic Hercules limited re-release

Max77221 Irish Air Corps 1922-1952 limited re-release.

New sheets to be announced in the summer."

Grab 'em when they are out as they won't hang around I'd say!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How did the Max Decal decals go on? I've heard that the early sheets were printed by Propagteam and they had a tendency to grab straight away on contact. I have that sheet and will hopefully put it to use at some point. Great build so far.

BM.

12 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

How did the Max Decal decals go on? I've heard that the early sheets were printed by Propagteam and they had a tendency to grab straight away on contact. I have that sheet and will hopefully put it to use at some point. Great build so far.

BM.

Hi @Blue Monday

Yes, that was my experience - they grabbed straight away and definitely not keen to be moved around. One of the number 6's broke in half and I had to touch in with black paint. I've heard that some people overcoat them with a light coat of Klear before using. I'm copying @murfv here as he's the expert on using them.👍

Some bleed on the flag paint but mostly happy with them.

51875677980_f691f84861_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_12 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone and into the home stretch now.

Glued the wings and struts which went fine. The 'sit' of the wings and strut on one side looks slightly off from certain angles - must remember that when I'm taking photos, lol

51876695452_5bc5fbc086_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_14 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The decals on the top wing are from the Airfix 1/72 Gladiator kit as I couldn't find the Max ones on the bench here..:facepalm:

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 15

That looks just lovely Dermot, the Lysander wobbly sit is very common and something slightly off can really play around with your head. Looks good to me, and a fitting scheme as well. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 12/02/2022 at 11:00, Dermo245 said:

Hi @Blue Monday

Yes, that was my experience - they grabbed straight away and definitely not keen to be moved around. One of the number 6's broke in half and I had to touch in with black paint. I've heard that some people overcoat them with a light coat of Klear before using. I'm copying @murfv here as he's the expert on using them.👍

I have found a that a coat or two of Microscale Liquid Decal Film is a definite help with older, more fragile decals,

The Max Decals I have used in the past have benefitted from a coat but even with the liquid decal film they still require careful handling when being used. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks all and with the last bits added and a coat of Matt varnish, she's done.

51892955018_63512e0481_b.jpgMatchbox_172_Lysander_Irish_Air_Corps_done (11) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51893521245_3b9d0fb3ae_b.jpgMatchbox_172_Lysander_Irish_Air_Corps_done (12) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51892868686_f105090c2a_b.jpgMatchbox_172_Lysander_Irish_Air_Corps_done (22) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Really enjoyed this build and I must admit to liking the challenge of trying to get a decent result from a kit this old.

Thanks for all your comments and encouragement, and to @JOCKNEY for leading this trip down Matchbox memory lane.

All the best and happy modelling.

Dermot

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

• Dermo245 changed the title to PK-007 Westland Lysander in Irish service - DONE