PK-007 Westland Lysander in Irish service - DONE

The Matchbox Lysander is a RL family favourite and although I cannot seem to lay my hands of a decently priced 1/72 kit, I'll be tackling Matchbox's monster 1/32 kit as soon as this show makes a grand start. I've always has a soft spot for the IAC too, so will look forward to seeing this great model take shape in this thread. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So here we go - another trip down nostalgia way!

51808449633_63d0c2d35f_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_contents by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51807378037_e72b53da9e_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_contents_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Scheme will be standard RAF dark earth/dark green and light grey undersides with Irish Air Corps Celtic boss and tricolour under wing.

51807378212_a385eec7fe_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_scheme by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Six Lysanders were supplied to the Irish Air Corps in July 1939. While intended for an Army Co-op role, they served with 'B' Flight, No.1 Fighter Squadron. Three were written off in accidents between 1941-42 and the remaining three were replaced by Hurricanes in 1943. Converted to target tug duty in 1944. they remained in service until late 1946/early 1947,

Thanks for looking and good luck with your builds.

All the best,,
Dermot

• Like 18

Dermot, that sprue photo brings back so many memories of my two Lysander builds from many many years ago. This Lysander will look great in IAC markings. 

Cheers and apologies for the lack of feedback so far.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 09/01/2022 at 12:57, Dermo245 said:

Scheme will be standard RAF dark earth/dark green and light grey undersides with Irish Air Corps Celtic boss and tricolour under wing.

Always nice to see a Lizzie. I’m a bit gutted I didn’t go for the one that popped up for sale here last week.

The light grey should probably be aluminium dope, if you’re worried about such things.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dermot

Built the Airfix Lysander last year in the IAC finish using the very old Maxdecal sheet. I had built the Matchbox kit a fair few times over the years and the Airfix kit isn't a patch on it. Would like to get my hands on another Matchbox one. Looking forward to your build.

Derek D.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Always nice to see a Lizzie. I’m a bit gutted I didn’t go for the one that popped up for sale here last week.

The light grey should probably be aluminium dope, if you’re worried about such things.

Thank you and correct - dud reference on my side; should be aluminium dope.

Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 1

Thanks everyone and here's a small update.

Cut out the inspection windows at the tail. 

51811879156_25e4627b42_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then added some framework inside the fuselage just to take the bare look off it.

51816591576_77d7c1707f_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Not at all accurate but will look better with the cockpit floor in place.

51816938119_0da8e65cb4_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 17

Thanks everyone and a little more done.

51825501075_76d45a388a_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The interior got some colour which is the closest I had to interior green. I've also made an instrument panel for the front and a fuel tank to go in the middle of the cockpit, both from plasticcard. Won't be able to see much in there and just to take the bare look off it.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 13

All buttoned up now.

Won't win any awards for accuracy but better than a plain floor and seats. The pilot's column was made from some hollowed-out sprue and plastic rod.

51829229737_138f54b73a_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51830299883_e0e91bac00_b.jpgMatchbox_Lysander_wip_6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The fuselage fit was great, just a small bit of filler needed at the tail which had a bit of a gap where the left-side meets the full tail on the right-hand side.

Thanks for looking and enjoy your builds.

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 15

Well done Dermot and a belated re look at this great thread. All the little extras to busy up those open spaces is always helpful and what you’ve done so far is excellent. Nice progress mate.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Nice build Dermo, great to see someone else flying the flag :) I have a Hawk 1/48 Lizzie in the stash that’s earmarked for the same scheme whenever we get around to it.

Maybe we could propose a STOL GB for 2023!

• Like 1