PK-112 Fairey Swordfish Mk.I - Finished

• 3 weeks later...

Sub-assemblies, so many sub-assemblies

Tailplane, oil cooler, undercarriage, struts, bomb racks, flare racks. The more references I look at the more I have to make!

It's fascinating working it all out but ye gods June is coming up fast.

2022-03-31_07-50-29

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

It's times like the above that I'm glad I concentrate on ship building...

But.

But you build teeny tiny boats!

Full of teeny tiny components to add to a teeny tiny hull.

That's a thimble you're storing those parts in right?

20220403_001444%201.jpg?psid=1

Tiny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, erniewise said:

But.

But you build teeny tiny boats!

Full of teeny tiny components to add to a teeny tiny hull.

That's a thimble you're storing those parts in right?

20220403_001444%201.jpg?psid=1

Tiny.

Excuse me my good sir, that is a large thimble! But point taken.

I more meant the various struts etc on show above, I struggle more with that than balancing  everything on a hull and inserting glue.

This build is looking mighty impressive btw.

David

• Like 1

This is really looking superb. Yes, the end date is looming however if we all desperately press on… God willing we will get there! 
Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Excuse me my good sir, that is a large thimble! But point taken.

I more meant the various struts etc on show above, I struggle more with that than balancing  everything on a hull and inserting glue.

This build is looking mighty impressive btw.

David

Thank you very much.

I have to say the same about your USS Fletcher build, I'd never have the nerve to take on the amount of PE, yet you are just taking in your stride!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spent some happy time painting the collector ring for the engine last night. A combination of Tamiya metallics and flat red scumbled and blended, with the help of a paint retarder to stop it going all flaky. Matt varnish today and voila!

The camera never forgives but I'm happy with it with my naked eye. (Though I may dry brush some more flat alu on that lip🤔)

2022-04-28_04-14-57

2022-04-28_04-15-07

Cheers

Erik

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Undersurfaces and fuselage sides painted in "Sky Grey" or as near as I can get to it!

20220509_223315

Another sub-assembly is taking shape. The Torpedo is an airfix example from my spares box, the cradle is being scratch built.

20220509_223507

Cheers

Erik

• Like 9

Gradual progress still happening, still hopeful of getting  this over the line before the 5th June.

Tail plane and cockpit auxiliary tank painted up ready for eventual assembly.

20220518_134735

Cheers

Erik

• Like 7

Great stuff Erik

Your attention to detail will really make a difference when it's finished.

I've every confidence in you to finish this one in time for inclusion the Galley :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

Just had a trawl through this thread, Fab work. The box art really makes a good impression too with its excitement, I also built this one years ago, I think it is till in the loft too.

• Thanks 1

Dry fit of some of the components.

20220523_104127

Still some touching up and finishing to go but happy with where I am.

20220523_104207

Had a battle with the Matchbox decals for the upper wing which would not settle and eventually started breaking up. Managed to find some of equivalent size in my spares folder (Almark) , red may be a bit too dark but I will leave till last to see if I can live with it after the matt varnish.

20220523_104653

Cheers.

Erik

• Like 9

Yoiks!

Time is marching on. I think I'm going to make the deadline it but it's going to be a damn close run thing.

Decals On. Lower wing to be finished in shadow compensating finishes.

20220526_113353

Power egg ready for attachment.

I've taken a punt on the spinner colour being different from the colour call outs that I have seen. From looking at the few black and white images of HMS Eagle based aircraft from 1940, there does seem to be a tonal difference from the underside colour, so I'm running with white!

20220526_113846

Cheers

Erik

• Like 8

My original intention was that this would be my only build for this GB, I confess I got swept along in the let's see if we can build all of them euphoria. Therefore I was feeling a little guilty that I had consequently commited to another two builds as the 5th June deadline loomed; as I felt I may not be able to do justice to my other builds becaue of the time I was spending on this.

So it was with some relief that I saw notice of the deadline extension on Saturday morning. I think I would have been satisfied to submit this to the gallery as it was but the extra time will enable me to add those few extra details that I had decided to omit without detriment to my B-25 build.

State of play is top wing on. (No issues due to the rugged Matchbox engineering @JOCKNEY!)

Rigging added, with a combination of Ammo rigging line and a generic elastic thread finished with a Gundam marker pen.

Various sub assemblies added to the airframe and some prepared for later finish and attachment. (The torpedo and sling were ready to go but I've detached them to add a little more detail.)

20220605_222630

20220605_222701

Cheers

Erik

• Like 4