PK-112 Fairey Swordfish Mk.I - Finished

Hello Folks

2022 will be my first GroupBuild and first WIP. I build, more accurately complete, at a very slow rate so will hopefully be able to have the results ready for inspection by June!

I see @theplasticsurgeon has already started his build thread for this kit as a Mk.III but I will be completing mine as a Taranto Stringbag: specifically, E5H of 824 Sqn as flown Lt. J. Wellham & Lt. P. Humphreys.

Box art and sprue shots below;

Stringbag Stringbag Stringbag Stringbag

The more I research I do, the more I see that I need to do. Roll on the 8th January!

Cheers.

Erik

Edited by erniewise
link to theplasticsurgeon added
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Nice choice Erik,one of my favourite Matchbox offering's they really did seem to have a different designer on their Bi-plane kits

great fit of parts and a finese missing from most other kits in the range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great to have you taking part in your first Group Build and first WIP Erik.  I'm sure you will enjoy the fun filled experience and end up becoming a seasoned GB member as times goes on. 

Matchbox's Swordfish is a lovely model and comes with cracking Roy Huxley action packed box art...  what's not to like in that overall package?   

Cheers, welcome aboard and very best of luck.. Dave  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see - Erik.   Genuine 3-colour kit.  

Mine is a single colour from the days when Revell operated Matchbox, and Made in England has been ground off the sprues.

I see you've opened up the observer's position, an additional fuel-tank in there for Taranto.

Nice start and I’ll be keenly watching on as I have a slightly later Matchbox boxing on its ‘slow’ way over from Germany. I’m keen to see your improvements and although I have the new Airfix kit, this old clunker still looks quite good to me. 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 11/01/2022 at 16:39, theplasticsurgeon said:

Good to see - Erik.   Genuine 3-colour kit.  

Mine is a single colour from the days when Revell operated Matchbox, and Made in England has been ground off the sprues.

I see you've opened up the observer's position, an additional fuel-tank in there for Taranto.

Thanks. The colours are very restrained compared to some of the other Matchbox offerings on view here! The fuel tank is indeed on the list of things I must make for this build.

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice start and I’ll be keenly watching on as I have a slightly later Matchbox boxing on its ‘slow’ way over from Germany. I’m keen to see your improvements and although I have the new Airfix kit, this old clunker still looks quite good to me. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thank you. I am in fact using the Airfix kit instructions (thank you ScaleMates) as one of my reference points as well as Heather Kay's lovely build of it in the High Wings Group Build of last year. The Matchbox offering is very charming and, considering that it dates from 1974, the fit of parts is pretty good.

• Like 2

Steady progress being made. Aelerons have been corrected, panel lines scribed or filled (ongoing), and the stub lower wings "persuaded" to look a bit more like the real thing.

19Jan Pic02 19 Jan Pic1

I really need to make start on the interior now!

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2022 at 00:54, Rabbit Leader said:

Ailerons corrected? I’ll have to take another look at my kit and see what’s going on here. Nice progress, coming along very smartly.

Cheers.. Dave 

Yes, the ailerons (I see what you did there!) have a different outline topside as opposed to bottomside; it looks like it is something to do with the mass balancing relative to the hinge points.

Things are going a little Dirk Gently on this build in that there are a lot of things that I need to do, that are connected to other things that I need to correct, before I can get on to the next bit that I want to make. But we've all been there right?

Despite this I'm still finding this an immensely absorbing project to work on, this is the state of play at the moment. I have to make the seat and gun mount for the TAG, as well as the overload tank, the pilot's seat, control column etc. etc. etc. but still maintaining momentum.

SB02
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Steady progress. I'm happy with how it is coming on though.

Gun mount finished, long range fuel tank scratched up from an old Edding pen and Milliput. You won't be able to see it but there is an approximation of a radio/transmitter set in front of the TAG's seat under the tny tarp!

Should be able to button up the fuselage in the not too distant future.

2022-02-22_06-40-34

I've also made a start on the engine. Lots of little solder slugs have been cut to link to the exhaust collector ring!

2022-02-22_06-41-27

Cheers. Erik.

Sorry if my user name causes confusion!

It's a complicated concatonation of Ernie (apparently I sound like Ernie) from Bert and Ernie and Eric, from Morecombe and Wise, that I was christened with by the tea-lady (that dates me!) at my first job.

Edited by erniewise
Last sentence corrected!
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

The fuselage is now buttoned up. Some basic seat pads made up from Milliput and painted and pilot's sutton harness made from wine cork foil. Though I did of course forget the add the lap straps bfeore closing up!)

2022-02-25_05-59-24

The harness is a bit out of focus in this piccie unfortunately but you can however see my basic representation of the RT set.  I need to get some weathering in there to flatten things down but other than that I'm calling it a day, the lap straps will just have to miss out on this occasion.

2022-02-25_05-59-34

The solder slugs have all been bedded in to the collector ring and the supporting frame mocked up from brass and plastikard rod. Paint and weathering to follow.

2022-02-25_05-59-56

Closing the fuselage up allows me to add some detail to the blank canvas offered by Matchbox. Some work still required but I'm happy with this rendition. Need to scratch up a torpedo cradle to hang under this now.

2022-02-25_05-59-12

Cheers.

Erik

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly ready for priming. I've added some detail to the fuselage and fashioned a landing light on the port wing. Need to do some fettling on the undercarriage but I'm happy with it as a first fit.

I've also just noticed checking these photos that one of the solder slugs has escaped from the collecter ring! Good job I cut a few spares.

20220308_204258

20220308_204312

20220308_204325

Cheers

Erik

• Like 9

Hi @erniewise, I'm intrigued with the little model support unit [vice ? ] that features in your build, something I've never come across before.

Any chance you can give me some details please.

Thanks in anticipation,

Rog.

26 minutes ago, roginoz said:

Hi @erniewise, I'm intrigued with the little model support unit [vice ? ] that features in your build, something I've never come across before.

Any chance you can give me some details please.

Thanks in anticipation,

Rog.

Hello Rog

It's actually something I cobbled together from a hand held jewellers vice and "third hand" base. A non cobbled together version https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363173259190?hash=item548ed027b6:g:wOkAAOSw3iBfqY6N is available on Ebay in the UK, obviously not an option for you, but it is manufactered in India so may be available in Oz.

Cheers

Erik

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the info, @erniewise, it's a little ripper !

Looked at the Ebay models and I'm sure there's something similar available over here.

I'll ask my grand daughter who works in a jewellers shop and see what she can come up with.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Rog

PS enjoying your Stringbag build and the work you've done to the cockpit ! Carry on !!

• Thanks 1