Emhar 1/24 Bedford flatbed

Hi all, I managed to squeeze in one more build thanks to this year's Blitzenbuild. In one of the earlier Blitzes I tried to build the Bedford Wrecker but only just failed to complete in time, so I wanted a rematch! This time around I built the dropside version and converted to a flatbed with wooden deck, which I've done 3 times in a row now. Next one will be different 🙂 

The Emhar kits are well engineered, the Bedford not too complicated as it's an old truck (but so nice!), so if you hurry a little it can be done in a Blitzbuild. Total build time was 20 hours exactly. I'm happy with the result, there aren't too many "Blitzbuild blemishes" so I'll gladly add this one to the shelf. I have one more of these Emhar kits, the tanker, which will receive proper care once I get around to it. 

Anyway, here are some pics of the finished article. Paints are Tamiya Semi Gloss Black and Tamiya Sky Grey coated in Tamiya X22, and later brushed on Vallejo Gloss Varnish to seal in the decals. The chrome bits are brushed with Greenstuffworld chrome (now my favourite chrome!). 

20211229081107-2d704762-me.jpg

20211229081108-1aeebfdd-me.jpg

20211229081104-61d08609-me.jpg

20211229081100-350e3ff0-me.jpg

20211229081105-a1498ba0-me.jpg

20211229081105-79d6d2bc-me.jpg

20211229081103-c4710d93-me.jpg

20211229081102-c5c318ff-me.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Full album here.

• Like 41

Superb! I had built the short wheelbase tipper a few years ago. Great kits.

• Thanks 1

Lovely finish to the lorry, I used to drive a similar type in the 60s delivering milk. Your comments on the emahar being well engineered went down well with me, wife got me rhe Emhar Bedford O Series SWB Recovery Truck Model Kit 1:24 as a xmas present, I look forward to starting the build after my current project.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FrankJ said:

Lovely finish to the lorry, I used to drive a similar type in the 60s delivering milk. Your comments on the emahar being well engineered went down well with me, wife got me rhe Emhar Bedford O Series SWB Recovery Truck Model Kit 1:24 as a xmas present, I look forward to starting the build after my current project.

That's very nice of her! I Blitzed that Recovery truck last year, they look real nice next to eachother on the shelf. Maybe these build logs will be of some use to you. They're not as detailed as usual because of Blitzbuild speed, but they might be helpful anyway. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JeroenS said:

That's very nice of her! I Blitzed that Recovery truck last year, they look real nice next to eachother on the shelf. Maybe these build logs will be of some use to you. They're not as detailed as usual because of Blitzbuild speed, but they might be helpful anyway. 

Thank you for the link to the build log,, much appreciated. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These are lovely models and you have done it justice in your usual way

I didn't realise that they seem to have re-released them

I have done the breakdown truck, very enjoyable

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hello there i know it's been a couple of years since this build. Which i think is cracking. I have just discovered these Bedfords, I passed my dual test in the Army in a Bedford RL at 17.

I have a question about the flat bed. Did you do the wood effect yourself, or is the bed textured plastic. If you did do it, what did you use?

I have purchased the Tanker, to start with, with the intention of doing the series.

So far my modelling has been Military Trucks. So a bit of colour will be a big change, I don't have an air brush, so its Cans, for the paintwork, which will be a first as well. You can get away with a lot doing camo.

Well hopefully, you will see this and give me tips.

Chris 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chb760 said:

I passed my dual test in the Army in a Bedford RL at 17.

You and me both mate. Germany, 64. Then forgot to get a slip when I came out of the army, to get my civvy licence and had to do it ll over again, only this time with the TA's.

Lovely model Jeroen. Can't believe that you achieved this standard in only 20 hours. Nice work.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chb760 said:

Hello there i know it's been a couple of years since this build. Which i think is cracking. I have just discovered these Bedfords, I passed my dual test in the Army in a Bedford RL at 17.

I have a question about the flat bed. Did you do the wood effect yourself, or is the bed textured plastic. If you did do it, what did you use?

I have purchased the Tanker, to start with, with the intention of doing the series.

So far my modelling has been Military Trucks. So a bit of colour will be a big change, I don't have an air brush, so its Cans, for the paintwork, which will be a first as well. You can get away with a lot doing camo.

Well hopefully, you will see this and give me tips.

Chris 

Hi Chris, thanks and welcome to the forums. The bed is made out of wooden coffee stirrers, they're glued down with thin CA. Then, brushed on acrylic washes in various colours for the staining. 

41 minutes ago, JohnHaa said:

Jeroen,

Excellent results !

I like the colors, right for the old times.

Just an idea, how about a conversion to a semi -rig ? ....:-)

Vriendelijke groeten,

JohnHaa

Thanks John! Well, I may have that in store for an upcoming group build, but not with a Bedford. Definitely with an old truck though. 

6 hours ago, activexp said:

Love those Emhar kits. Built the tanker a while ago, turned out real nice :)

I still have the Tanker in the stash as well, should be nice to have it sit next to its relatives. 

• 10 months later...

I just came across this topic. I'm a military modeler but wanted something out of the ordinary, colorful. I ran across these kits and was wondering how they well they went together. I think i could manage one. Thanks everyone for your input.

Cheers....Rich

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Armorrich said:

I just came across this topic. I'm a military modeler but wanted something out of the ordinary, colorful. I ran across these kits and was wondering how they well they went together. I think i could manage one. Thanks everyone for your input.

Cheers....Rich

I think you should be fine! They're really nice kits. 

15 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I agree

They are really well made and go together easily as the fit of the parts is superb :) 

20220605_133927

• Like 3

17 hours ago, JeroenS said:

2 hours ago, Redstaff said:

I agree

They are really well made and go together easily as the fit of the parts is superb :) 

Gents,

Two really nice builds there.

I have also been looking at this model to carry part of a 1/32 scale fuselage, do you think with the scale being 1/24 that it will look too large next to the 1/32 aircraft? 

Do you know of a similar vehicle in 1/35 or 1/32 scale? 

Best regards

Keith.

31 minutes ago, Mpfiend said:

Gents,

Two really nice builds there.

I have also been looking at this model to carry part of a 1/32 scale fuselage, do you think with the scale being 1/24 that it will look too large next to the 1/32 aircraft? 

Do you know of a similar vehicle in 1/35 or 1/32 scale? 

Best regards

Keith.

The range of trucks in 1/32 is very limited, it's mostly quite modern Japanese trucks like Fuso or Hino. Trucks in 1/35 are really quite small I think. The Bedford might just be sort of right to carry a large 1/32 fuselage, although it's a 1/24 truck it's on the small side. 

For comparison, here it sits next to a 1/24 Unimog (crappy photo, sorry). 

20240107112908-4b076b2a-me.jpg