C-133 Cargomaster

zebra

Here's my last one for 2021 - Roden's C-133 Cargomaster, with Caracal decals. Enjoyed this one - the fit's not perfect, but not awful either, and it builds up into an interesting model. I'd build another, except that it's one of those aircraft I only really need to build once! Caracal decals were excellent, as usual. The natural metal finish is AK Extreme Metal, I had a bit of trouble with it, and I have to say I've fallen out of love with this product. It doesn't seem to want to dry completely (still feels slightly tacky, two weeks after I painted it), and I've had a few issues with the paint reacting with the adhesive in Tamiya (and other brands') masking tape. Might try switching back to Alclad next time.

1/144 Cargomaster

1/144 Cargomaster

1/144 Cargomaster

1/144 Cargomaster

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 42

Looks great!

I have not had any issues with AK extreme metal paints curing (just finishing the Roden B-36B).

I have had issues with tamiya tape on the dark aluminum and AK primer. I find that I have to mask (detack the tape by applying it to the inside of my wrist a couple of times first). Then paint immediately.

The only real problem I’ve had with AK is the filler/primer. That stuff never seemed to cure. I stayed tacky for weeks. I ended up wiping it off with solvent and using mr surfacer. 

Edited by Bejay53
  • Thanks 2

I well remember seeing these, and sitting on the flight deck, at Mildenhall air shows in the late 60s/early 70s.  The model certainly captures the Cargmaster's look, well done. :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

I know I'd be a glutton for two of these. I already have the Gene Hooker one. Even though the paint is not helping it looks good. Looks like a well cared for machine. I never thought much of these until I read the book on them.

• Thanks 1