1:25 Revell Kenworth W900 Aerodyne

Getting waaaay out of my comfort zone...

Time for the yearly SAPMA build an unwanted kit summer build. Each year at the December meeting, members bring a wrapped unwanted kit and we all take a number and the idea is to have the kit built for the first meeting of the year in February. This year I ended up with this truck kit.

As this is the first truck I have built, and probably will be my last, as it's not my usual subject. 

Build was generally quite good, with no real gotchas for a first timer like me. However I should have left the exhausts off until the decals were done. I'm not a fan of chrome plastic either. 

I did take the easy route with painting and what wasn't chromed plastic, clear or rubber tyres, got a coat of SMS PL01 black. 

The decals were the hardest bit in that once they were on that was it, they were hard to move around. Dishwashing liquid in the water did help a little bit. 

Build Progress Video

51782611850_0dfbd56a23_b.jpg 

51782612180_a264d76b36_b.jpg 

51782612540_df26a64386_b.jpg 

• Like 15

For a model you received as an unwanted build, you did a really nice job!  I agree, the overdone kit chrome does not help - it's just so unbelievably shiny!  Every now and then I'll put a wash of highly diluted NATO black (acrylic) over these bits to knock them back a bit and to highlight the detail that gets lost in all the shine.  If you have any patience remaining for this build, you could add some orange to the tips of the five running lights on the roof - or, not!  😄   I think the unwanted kit lottery is a fun idea too - 

Cheers

Nick 

• 1 month later...

As a regular truck model builder (see sig below!) I can offer a spot of advice

Yes the chrome parts are always way too shiny. I find a black oil wash tones it down nicely.

The lights on top of the cab should be orange.

spacer.png

What are those things on top of the headlight surrounds?

Add suzies and you have a nice build there

spacer.png