What glue, kit plastic to resin

LaurieS

Building a SeaKing with FlightPath resin sponsons to convert to RAF.

The sponsons are connected to a kit connecting effort which fits on the fuselage..

Thought of C/A but danger of cracking. Have Evostick Resin & Milliput superfine & silver grey.

Advice would be very welcome.

These are the parts.

http://IdhWJc.jpg

I use slow-drying epoxy to glue resin to resin. I don't use CA for this application because of a previous experience with instantaneous curing.

I use CA for plastic-resin binds. I don't find epoxy to be well suited for plastic bonds.

To round it out, I use an acrylic or PVA glue for surface bonds between PE and resin or plastic. This avoids CA shear bond failures due to thermal expansion differences, which is CA's weakest direction. I will use CA for edge bonds between PE and resin or plastic.

HTH

-- 

dnl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Steve Noble said:

I did the same kit many years ago. I drilled the sponsons and added metal wire with superglue to hold them in place and for strength. It worked very well, no movement or flexing and a very strong join.

Thanks Steve very imaginative.

Will have a look at that see what I can do.

Laurie

3 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

I did the same kit many years ago. I drilled the sponsons and added metal wire with superglue to hold them in place and for strength. It worked very well, no movement or flexing and a very strong join.

That's a great idea! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I have started using "Bostik Fix & Flash".  It is brilliant so far for all my gluing .  I can't guarantee it will work for you but I would be surprised if it didn't.  It claims to have been inspired by dentists who use a similar technique, curing with a blue light.

22 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I have started using "Bostik Fix & Flash".  It is brilliant so far for all my gluing .  I can't guarantee it will work for you but I would be surprised if it didn't.  It claims to have been inspired by dentists who use a similar technique, curing with a blue light.

Thanks Alastair.

Just ordered on Ebay. £8:98.

But you buy one get one free. All the other are one for £9.

Thanks again. Be able to do my own dentistry now 🤣

Laurie

To Laurie S  Have just seen your reply.  Hope your order includes the "torch" which emits a blue colour which cures the glue.  This is essential.  I have bought my kit from the local hardware store at 14.90 € and spare tube of glue from Amazon.

Good luck!

I have used this kit to stick very delicate undercarriages and a ten-gram nose weight.  Treat as you would super glue and don't stick things to your fingers.

Alastair