Airfix 1/72 Mosquito B.XVI

Simon Cornes

Is it just me but does anyone else think that the 'pipework' on the undercarriage legs that actually deflect the bungees that pull the gear doors closed is very chunky on this new release? I am very familiar with the old Series 3 kit and always felt that the designers had done a good job with that pipework. Is it just me?

Probably not. That piece of thin rods has been chronically overscale for decades. If you really want to show off your skills, you'll remove the plastic ones and replace them with thin copper wire.

/Finn 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

Probably not. That piece of thin rods has been chronically overscale for decades. If you really want to show off your skills, you'll remove the plastic ones and replace them with thin copper wire.

/Finn 

Now that would be skilful!! The real thing is pretty fine anyway. I’m surprised that the designer didn’t refer to the old kit - I watched the process on the tv show and thought it looked clunky then but his attitude was to make it durable I think. He’s probably never looked at the old kit!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

I thought it clunky on the CAD and said so then. It certainly is compared with the Tamiya Mosquito.  

The props are vile too, thick and with little aerofoil section. I'm using spare Tamiya ones.

I suppose Airfix are trying to balance scale fidelity against durability but I'd always prioritise accuracy. No doubt the aftermarket do some sort of retraction guide pipework but the original Airfix was fine IMHO ! I haven't particularly noticed the props so again it sounds as though they've prioritised strength? Maybe their injection moulders can't get that level of finesse ?