Mojo restart, with added Clogs: 1/350 Hr. Ms. Bloys van Treslong, Naval Models

And a bit more; only windows, wheels and main rotor to do (tail rotor visible below still on fret).

51912223809_157bee8c8e_b.jpg

I don’t use them often, but acrylic inks are fab for this kind of precise colour painting - Liquitex red & blue, Windsor & Newton white & black

More soon

Crisp 

• Like 9

Weathering the hangar roof, part 1 (before):

51912866707_beeb37787c_b.jpg

…and Part 2 (after):

51914149184_6376035c40_b.jpg

Now let it dry fully and see what more is needed, gradually building up a more convincing surface patina.

Crisp

• Like 9

I like the way you toned down that deck down using the oil dot method…very convincing….

Paul

Edited by PAUL67
  • Thanks 1

The main issue with the RIB PE was bending it cleanly, because Naval Models’ brass is quite thick.  In most places that’s a good thing, because it is strong… but there are exceptions 

• Like 3

Hi Chrisp,

Have you considered to drill out the funnel channels (x6)? In fact these are rather large dark holes with shadows when viewed from above, hard to replicate that with paint alone.

As your funnel component is still apart it's a suitable time to do it. On my own model I did that afterwards when the model is already together, having much more risk of damage. 

Illustrating the point:

spacer.png

https://marineschepen.nl/schepen/images/kortenaer2.jpg

Maarten

Edited by maarten.schonfeld
image link added
  • Like 5

I had thought about it, decided not to… and now I’m considering it again!  Not sure; there are lots of things I could do (e.g. replacing the signal lamps on the bridge wings etc etc), but as I have said before I am trying to resist my usual habit of disappearing down inessential rabbit holes on this build.

Also, thinks for confirmation that the deck colour extends to the roof of the ?gas turbine down takes? section (the polygonal piece of superstructure in the foreground of your picture); I hadn’t found completely clear evidence before now - so yet more masking tape!

• Like 3

OK, Maarten, you win!

51920000293_c84a890f39_b.jpg

Masking of bridge superstructure complete:

51920174584_1657cefd1b_b.jpg

…but as I masked and looked more closely, I realised that I have a casting error (bearing in mind that I don’t know the class well).  Starboard side liferaft stowage looks like this:

51920462545_c73a060ea0_b.jpg

…but port like this: 

51918878852_10d079108b_b.jpg

Even allowing for a deliberately empty rack on the left as we look, there’s a section of deck missing and a blooming great dent in the ship’s side (which only really shows clearly under primer).

Dent filled & curing; new deck section (below) cut out roughly, to be refined once in place.

51920475470_9cfcb07e19_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 9

Good save on the missing deck section!

You may heave seen these but If you look at the second image down under ship images on the first link below, you can see the deck is only populated with rafts in the middle section...

https://www.seaforces.org/marint/Netherlands-Navy/Frigate/F-824-HNLMS-Bloys-van-Treslong.htm

and then a closer shot on a sister ship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNLMS_Van_Kinsbergen_(F809)#/media/File:Niederl.Fregatten.jpg

So definitely doing the right thing. This is going to look rather splendid when finished.

Terry

• Like 1

The things one comes up with to delay painting, I say!

:rofl:  :rofl:

Excellent fix and masking, Crisp - I remain in awe of your patience and skill at such a minuscule scale :gobsmacked:

Ciao 

• Haha 5

The weekend did not get off to a great start when I dropped the hangar section & dislodged the liferaft deck to port; it’s now re-glued, but the deck needs work again, which is dull.

51936521609_e521860946_b.jpg

I also spent at least an hour cleaning up two davits for the motor cutter; lots of flash (unusual for this kit), but with care cleaned up well & now ready for primer & paint:

51936815900_9762f56331_b.jpg

Other than that, yet more masking work…

51936278263_8ca874b433_b.jpg 51936278268_1aca78942a_b.jpg 51936207891_3c6e97cbd3_b.jpg

As so often, hours & hours of masking will doubtless end with just a few minutes of airbrush work… but it will be worth it!

More soon

Crisp

• Like 9

So did it work…?

51938430901_4e3dfdc954_b.jpg

Not perfect - there are a couple of places where the deck colour has lifted - but I am very happy; even where it’s lifted it is in places that are relatively easy to reach.

And I’m really happy with the boot topping; I always find it a bitch to fix if it’s not good first time.  Starboard:

51939044880_4389422f4d_b.jpg

…and Port:

51939044875_2d9e68266d_b.jpg

Still lots to do, but good progress.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 12