Mojo restart, with added Clogs: 1/350 Hr. Ms. Bloys van Treslong, Naval Models

Great to see someone building something different,I have built their Dutch cruiser from the 1950's De Ruyter built and have the Dutch destroyer 1/350-02 B-Fighter – Hr.Ms. Friesland to build.Check out Naval models ,a small tip, email then before ordering anything for a price it always comes back a bit cheaper,their email.

WvjjXs5.jpg?1

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not gone away, but little to show you that’s new; the down side of how they’ve chosen to do the quarterdeck (a separate part for each side, another for the transom plus the flight deck on top) means that there’s work to do to fair it all in properly - visible seams here would be awful.

So prime, check seams, sand, rinse & repeat:

51853018189_b3d1b24ce3_b.jpg

51852695741_ccdc03b5be_b.jpg

While I’ve had the airbrush charged, I have also primed some of the completed sub-assemblies:

51851728037_ff98a4710c_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 10

…and starting paint tests to get the right colour.  Kon. Marine ships seem to have a different grey to RN of the same period; paler (I’m inclining to Tamiya LP32, 4th down on this lot, though will see once everything dry).  Decks not dissimilar grey to ours, and there will be plenty of salt staining etc; Mr Color 306?

51854600476_a322985fa3_b.jpg

Weekly trip up that Lunnon for work from tomorrow a.m. so no more tangible progress until Friday.

Pip pip

Crisp

• Like 5

Not for the first time I must pay tribute to the generosity of members of this board.  This was always intended as an OOB build other than adding a brass gun barrel & the railings which the kit lacks.  However, @Chris Hewitt of this parish has sent me some relevant spares that he has, namely Veteran Models’ Harpoon and Standard missile launchers [Veteran include more in the box than he required].  

It would, of course, be rude not to use them, and it has to be said that they’re significantly superior to the kit’s offerings.  Today I have built the Harpoons (which come in 3 parts):

51864161634_89b181b211_b.jpg

51863915373_014975dc64_b.jpg

And here with some of the Naval Models Harpoon tubes visible behind:

51864489160_77b25a9bfd_b.jpg

Tomorrow it’s the Standard launcher, plus I hope some proper paint on that quarterdeck.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 10

Someone alert Giorgio: paint!

The hull is primed (Mr Surfacer Black 1500 with a bit of Tamiya Lacquer White)

51866056130_6c2c62215a_b.jpg 51865409186_3ca44d13f1_b.jpg

Particularly pleased with the quarterdeck / transom area, where my sanding efforts (after previous test prime showed visible seams) have paid off:

51866056125_55f84c39f9_b.jpg 51865409176_55d5f20ff9_b.jpg 51866056215_f09903c2b8_b.jpg

Plus I have built the Veteran Models’ Sea Sparrow launcher, seen here with the kit version:

51866056115_d205ee10a9_b.jpg

The only thing that defeated me was a PE ladder that complete disintegrated as I shaped it (you can see the mangled wreckage on the right!)… though the platform to which it was meant to attach (itself two pieces of ridiculously small brass) has made it onto the launcher - visible on the near side (rear of launcher) between the missile cells:

51865724419_a00cef9cb7_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 13

Respect Crisp, and to all your esteemed brethren that do such fine work in such stupidly small scales.

I’m surprised that you don’t all have the eyes of centenarians with the amount of squinting that must be involved.

Lovely smooth primer coat.

• Like 2

Thank you!

I even managed to find time to get a first coat of the deck colour laid down:

51866985920_126ab54889_b.jpg 51866336606_ed4e4de5ac_b.jpg

[Note that now that it’s dried there are a few bubble holes that are going to need some attention, especially in the breakwater area.  Ah well.]

More soon

Crisp

• Like 5

Hi Crisp, 

I'm just chiming in on this build from you, amazing to see how well you fare on improving on this kit! As with any kit there is alway room for improvement and I take my hat off for yours.

As a matter of fact I'm one of those 'chaps from Naval Models', last November in Telford. I wasn't the engineer that created the Kortenaer class model (that was Wasili Angelopoulos many years ago) but I'm responsible for several of the newer kits including the cruiser De Ruyter. 

Of course mention any need for help, I'm following this topic now!

Maarten Schönfeld

• Like 5

5 hours ago, maarten.schonfeld said:

Hi Crisp, 

I'm just chiming in on this build from you, amazing to see how well you fare on improving on this kit! As with any kit there is alway room for improvement and I take my hat off for yours.

As a matter of fact I'm one of those 'chaps from Naval Models', last November in Telford. I wasn't the engineer that created the Kortenaer class model (that was Wasili Angelopoulos many years ago) but I'm responsible for several of the newer kits including the cruiser De Ruyter. 

Of course mention any need for help, I'm following this topic now!

Maarten Schönfeld

It's an excellent kit, Maarten; of course it's always possible to improve almost any kit with after-market, but (as the example on your stand at Telford showed) it's possible to build an excellent Kortenaer straight out of the box.  The fit is remarkably good, even in places where your instructions (and thank goodness for Google Translate!) talk about maybe needing to fill gaps around the various deck houses with strip or filler; dry fitting mine seems to suggest I won't need to do that (though never say never till it's all definitely done...).   We have all built kits (styrene, resin, whatever) where it feels as though the thing is fighting you all the way; this one is not like that at all.

Thanks; I'm really enjoying it.  

The most obvious improvement would be PE railings, but I understand the economic challenge!  [Incidentally, the PE you do provide is excellent; I was pretty sceptical about how strong the radar tower on the hangar roof would be, but once built it's remarkably robust].  

• Like 4

On 06/02/2022 at 18:17, Fritag said:

Respect Crisp, and to all your esteemed brethren that do such fine work in such stupidly small scales.

I’m surprised that you don’t all have the eyes of centenarians with the amount of squinting that must be involved.

Lovely smooth primer coat.

I couldn't agree more, to the point where I thought Steve had written centipedes instead of centenarians because mine eyes have gone a long way down that inevitable slippery slope.

Fabulous modelling Crisp, wow.

• Haha 4

Un-sexy but important work today, while listening to the rugby.  Firstly filling the numerous tiny pinhole bubbles (a common issue with resin) that only really became apparent after I’d sprayed a base coat on the deck (Vallejo filler, because in small applications like this it’s relatively easy to sand / shape after drying):

51877856520_a21174708f_b.jpg

And lots and lots of tiny pieces of Tamiya tape to mask the quarterdeck before a coat of the light weather works grey (for which I’ll be using Tamiya LP-32 Light Grey IJN)

51877291203_6e01dbb0d7_b.jpg

More soon - it’s half term so I have a couple of days off next week

Crisp

• Like 13

Pin holes filled & base layer re-sprayed:

51879489228_0210ee249f_b.jpg

And down at the blunt end, the masking seems to have worked nicely.  I LOVE these Tamiya lacquers!  You can see a couple of pin holes revealed by the paint here, too, but this area will be almost invisible once the flight deck is in place, so I’m not going to get excited about it this time.

51878445892_eaa91b38ea_b.jpg

The hull has a slightly raised line to mark the boot topping, which you can see in this shot (which confirms that my work to eliminate the seams on the side & the transom). It’s not ideal, but I think the work to remove it would probably not be worth the effort once I’ve painted and weathered it properly.

51879725159_6dccb15ab5_b.jpg

Going to leave this to cure and then detail paint the quarterdeck… which will allow me to fit the flight deck, and then we’re really cooking with gas!

More soon

Crisp

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

All looking very neat. I especially like that little Goalkeeper unit!

Terry

The Goalkeeper is mostly OOB, but the barrels are Airfix with WEM PE (unused from Ark 5 build)

• Like 1

Finally for today, close up of the quarterdeck after a bit of detail painting (following the instructions for the red (Tamiya LP-21 Italian Red) lifebuoy, and ref photos / experience for the bare metal (Tamiya LP-54 Dark Iron) bitts & capstan - if you paint them, you tend to get smouldering when you work hawsers under tension).

Now sealed, so all it lacks is a wash to bring a big of definition, and this is done sufficiently to allow me to fit the flight deck.

51879850263_3981879799_b.jpg

To that end, all the masking tape removed so the various superstructure parts will still fit:

51880099174_088ea03522_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 12

On 06/02/2022 at 14:41, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Someone alert Giorgio: paint!

Here comes! And just in time, it would appear :rofl:  :rofl: 

Most excellent job so far, Crisp :worthy:  :worthy:  It should really serve you well to restore the necessary mojo for the winged project.... :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1

Stop waffling on about rotors and concentrate on boot topping (Tamiya LP-65 Rubber Black) - slightly wobbly around the propeller guard here, but fixable:

51880935202_b8472d7ca4_b.jpg

Port side better:

51882226904_998819db83_b.jpg

And the structure of the hangar is now complete (or complete enough for paint, anyway), with the addition of a platform supporting life rafts and a couple of aerial bases - all of which will be easier to see once it’s grey rather than (Mr Surfacer 1500) black:

51881905621_4478063844_b.jpg

I almost glued the flight deck in position earlier, but then realised I need to paint the underside (deck head over the quarterdeck) first.

More soon

Crisp

Edit: the new deck / life raft platform is more visible in this shot:

51881926896_03b7e58186_b.jpg

• Like 14

The same (hangar) section of superstructure, now with the deck colour sprayed:

51884330120_3e0426d567_b.jpg

Plus the foremast & Harpoon launchers with some grey:

51884001744_02d861489a_b.jpg 51884001719_71346a5196_b.jpg

…and a Lynx with a Sky underside (the Cloggies continue with EDSG over Sky many decades after we abandoned it!):

51884428480_08792e7e0f_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 12

Lynx, I am loving the Lynx.

S'all good natch, but this is me, what makes my boat float?

My ship come in?

Gimmee lots of wobblechopters to make me content.

Great story so far Crisp, mojo well I hope?

There's a big wobblechopter to finish yet...

:whistle:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The same (hangar) section of superstructure, now with the deck colour sprayed:

51884330120_3e0426d567_b.jpg

Plus the foremast & Harpoon launchers with some grey:

51884001744_02d861489a_b.jpg 51884001719_71346a5196_b.jpg

…and a Lynx with a Sky underside (the Cloggies continue with EDSG over Sky many decades after we abandoned it!):

51884428480_08792e7e0f_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Hi Crisp,

Just a little note on the Lynx: the Netherlands Navy used in those days in fact still the old FAA colour scheme of Extra Dark Sea Grey with Sky underneath. Isn't your green maybe a bit too dark to represent Sky? And because of the scale effect I wouldn't go for Extra Dark Sea Grey but a somewhat lighter version, Medium Sea Grey. 

Btw: you remind me I should make decals for 1:350 Dutch MLD Lynxes, I promised this to the Naval Models owner...

• Like 1