Mojo restart, with added Clogs: 1/350 Hr. Ms. Bloys van Treslong, Naval Models

A belated welcome back Crisp, and what a great subject to energise the mojo. An important class of warships within NATO at the time.

You may well be aware of this site. There are some excellent reference photos of most post war Warships, the link below leads to the greek Kortenaer class. If you navigate the site you can find the Dutch ones also.

https://www.seaforces.org/marint/Hellenic-Navy/Frigate/Elli-Kortenaer-class.htm

Looks like you are well back in the groove on this one.

I'll sit (fairly) quietly and admire!

Terry

• Like 1

Good to see you back and healthy again, Crisp. I've donned my sea boots for reading this thread.

Nice looking ship, and I like the fact that it will be a gift for your friend.

Too much micro modelling for me in this scale!

Carry on!

• Like 1

There’s always a lot of sanding and dry fitting going on, which is never very photogenic - but I can at least show you the flight deck now that I’ve filled in the deeply etched “panel line” deck markings:

51821390307_926511d7f1_b.jpg

Top, top marks to my new acquisition, a full set of Infini sanding sticks, including their tiny detail jobbers, which are superb for cleaning up resin parts.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 7

And in case anyone wants to see where all the sanding is getting me, a bit of dry fitting as of stopping this evening:

51822440841_40c5001c7f_b.jpg 51823161520_35644ce090_b.jpg

More work tomorrow: yard arms on that pyramid foremast thingy, so more brass.

Crisp

• Like 16

I have spent much of today sanding.  Not just any old sanding, but the gradual (& very dusty) process of reducing the underwater section of the hull to make the whole model more stable during build, and reduce the amount of seascape I have to build.  Still more to go, but definite progress (I stopped for today when I felt I just couldn't face any more time in a mask):

51824379401_17841cd530_b.jpg

The hull is already much less wobbly.

Then, as mentioned in my last update, on to brass yardarms for the distinctive pyramid foremast.  Needless to say, they’re at odd angles, just to make it harder (though to be fair the instructions , once translated from the Dutch by Google translate, are very clear). Seen from above:

51824379361_d006a0d398_b.jpg

From astern:

51824485988_cd12a8cb5b_b.jpg

Starboard quarter:

51824379386_b13d937bb5_b.jpg

Starboard bow (note to self; one needs a bit of straightening):

51824486003_ca5c222bf3_b.jpg

And a couple dry fitted on the bridge structure:

51824485998_2b066385a2_b.jpg

51825098050_9673e0e00e_b.jpg

Just the navigation radar (on the platform) to do now.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 15

Getting to the point where I need to close in the quarterdeck, because it’s the part of the model that’s probably going to need the most filling & tidying up; there are 3 parts - different resin, I think slightly stronger (though that hasn’t stopped me from losing a fairlead from the starboard side piece, because stronger seems to equal more brittle):

51827142634_5625a985ac_b.jpg

I plan to get this area as neat as poss (& fully painted) before fitting the flight deck.  Same thing seen from directly astern:

51826799991_91a4ca8fc0_b.jpg

Like all ship models, I’m building this as a series of modules, and we’re not that far away now from all major modules being done, so I thought a quick dry fit (aided by Blu-Tac) to see what she looks like:

51825853317_abbdb1b664_b.jpg

51826908683_c33e0a1c88_b.jpg

51826908688_6d52526af7_b.jpg

I’ve also done a bit more hull sanding, too; down to the bilge keels now, which is probably enough.

Happy.

Up to London for work tomorrow, so more later in the week

Crisp

• Like 17

One of the few defects with this kit is that the hangar section has the resin equivalent of a short shot (short cast?):

51837040045_1ffc996b78_b.jpg 51836660254_71cd50efe7_b.jpg

I filled it a couple of days ago but even as I did it I wondered whether my Milliput had gone past its useful life - a suspicion confirmed by the fact that it retained a Blu-Tac consistency 2 days later (& only took about 30 seconds to strip out).

I’ve redone it after buying a fresh packet at my LMS this morning.

The other action today has been to fill a couple of bubble holes & a slight join gap on the port side of the quarterdeck, so I can prime & paint it (steady, Giorgio) before putting the flight deck on:

51836306506_e0d30d54c6_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 9

Happily the new Milliput worked perfectly:

51837616422_cf27f6e603_b.jpg

And the rest of the day was spent fettling the quarterdeck and stern, and it’s now pretty much done; the flight deck is dry fitted here, so (though a bit of filling will be needed to sort out the back end) it’s not as bad as this looks.

51839302205_57dcba1ae5_b.jpg

A bit of washing & scrubbing out sanding dust tomorrow, and I think we’re into primer for the quarterdeck.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 13

I still dont know what you are doing, impressive though.

I might have been tempted to illuminate some resin for that short shot rather than piffle about with Milliput.

But you know wot you do, I wot it not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I might have been tempted to illuminate some resin for that short shot rather than piffle about with Milliput.

I wasn’t sure that the hole wasn’t too deep / big for my puny UV light!

Just now, perdu said:

Crisp I used my puny LED UV torch to fill the nose transparency for my Whirlwind and set it for working on.

No matter you got the job done in no time.

Must give it a go, then; thanks!

Resin always looks so 'soft' in the raw that I'm genuinely fascinated to see how all those fabulous details turn into sharp focus once the paint's on them.

Absolutely beautiful work Crisp.

'Mad about the Bloys'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2