PK-26 Armstrong Whitworth Siskin IIIA,Finished!

This is my entry for the Group Build. I built this kit in 1980, and I have a memory of it being in the same colours. It will have added detail rather than straight from the box, as I know I am unlikely to build another one. My two major sources of reference are shown and, it will be finished as the Squadron Leaders aircraft of No. 43 Squadron from Modeldecal Sheet 31A. The first major job will be to drill holes for rigging whilst it is easy to do. I have an Aeroclub Jaguar engine and going to use it instead of the kit engine, if the fit is not too bad.

51781727232_6b0a2e3836_c_d.jpg

51781727082_4b7b58367a_c_d.jpg

I am looking forward to doing this kit as it offers the prospect of proper old-fashioned modelling. No resin and no bespoke etch for the details that I plan on adding.

• Like 19

Hi Pat, 

Thanks, the sheet was an amended one with some changes

The other options are:

Fury I of No1 Sqn in 1936

Bulldog IIA of 23 Sqn in 1932

Gladiator I of 87 Sqn in 1937

There are also some spearhead badges for 43 and 80 Sqns and some squadron numbers Harts etc.

In my opinion it is one of the best Modedecal sheets. 

• Like 1

Our first Siskin thread and what a beauty she looks to be. With that Modeldecals sheet and Silver Wings reference on hand I can also see you tackling the Matchbox Fury and Gladiator before this GB is over! It would be good to see how the replacement engine stacks up to the kits parts as from memory I think Matchbox did a decent job on that little Jaguar. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone thinks I have forgotten about this kit, I haven't. It is a bit slow at the moment as I 

have just finished a Bristol M1C and finishing off a Harrier. So far I have drilled a lot of the holes for rigging in the wings and tailplanes, that are not going to make a good photo and the next job that will be done soon is shortening the undercarriage leg to loaded from the static position as provided. 

Away for a long weekend to visit our daughter in Windsor. She lives not far from a pub called the 'Duke of York' which is currently boarded up. Must be some kind of metaphor. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Constructional work is now underway with the Siskin. Spent some time making the interior to replace the somewhat uninspiring floor and seat. Found a surplus PE seat that is approximately the right shape and made cockpit  framing etc out of plastic rod and strip. The Silverwings Siskin instruction sheet is available as a PDF download and contains some useful information. I was going to use the  instrument panel decal from the Modeldecals sheet, but it is a work of fiction and so a new scratch built panel will be made using information from the Data plan. The fuel filler and pump have also been built.

51839546477_79fc54d982_c_d.jpg

I am going to use the kit engine with a bit of detailing to the reduction gear case.

• Like 13

All the cockpits bits painted up and placed in the cockpit. The fuselage is together and, you can see virtually nothing. Ho Hum, I know it's there. The fuselage is together and has needed a bit more filler than I expected as there is a fair bit of shrinkage near the location pins. Lower wing next I think and possibly tailplane. The engine is nearly finished paint wise and the undercarriage and wheels are nearly sorted. The legs require some attention as where the axle goes in a bit clumsy to say the least (a big disc with a hole in it).

51856401636_3576814af7_c_d.jpg

51856401496_7acfc00237_c_d.jpg

The white blob on the forward fuselage is the fuel filler, it looks a bit more impressive in real life.

• Like 11

More progress. The engine is painted and will be ready to attach to the fuselage at the appropriate moment. It will require a couple more bits of fine brass wire to attach to the oil pump? into the front fuselage. The lower wing and tailplane are on, and the wing needed some filler. I have primed  the airframe to see what will need attention. There are a few bits and pieces, but not as bad as I feared. The undercarriage legs have been shortened to their loaded position. Looking at the Data File, there is quite a range between the unloaded and loaded position on the undercarriage. My guess is a combination of poor airfield surfaces and  relatively unsophisticated shock absorption.

51862004319_dcbe220642_c_d.jpg

Hopefully some paint on soon. Given that Dark Green as a colour was still a little way off, the upper fuselage anti-glare finish will be Nivo, unless someone comes up with a better idea.

• Like 10

Thanks, I was looking at the article the other day. I wished my copy of the Magazine had come a bit earlier! It is a lovely model.

Apologies for the late look at this thread @Mr T, the Siskin is coming up very well and I didn’t know about the lengthened undercarriage struts on this kit until now. Seems like the Matchbox Provost suffers from the same issue so that a little disappointing. Anyway, it’s nice to correct these little issues wherever you can. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks, Dave. I remember reviews of the Provost in the mid 70's mentioning the u/c legs. The fin is on now and  a bit of a tidy up and re prime and the top of the front  fuselage will get some paint on it tonight, all being well. This GB is a real nostalgia fest. 

• Like 1

A gap as we are away for a few days as off down to Duxford and up to Ely as part of my birthday. Nivo anti glare painting done, and early next week the 'silver' will go on. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress. Fuselage and wings sprayed with 'silver' in two shades for the metal front fuselage and fabric covering and touched up. Undercarriage painted at the same time. Varnished ready for some decalling on the fuselage and tail. I have also added the actuating gear for the elevators out of bits of wire and plastic card. I figured it was easier to do before it was rigged etc. It is just visible in the pics. A fuel pump has been built, and a propeller added to the generator. They both need a coat of paint, which is tonight's job.

51898560527_a9a2e93ec0_c_d.jpg

You may have noticed a missing strut. It is safe and going to be added when the top wing goes on.

51899844969_cf8b75bb42_c_d.jpg

• Like 12

Decals and gun sights added and so top wings and undercarriage will hopefully be attached in the next couple of days, then it will start to look like a proper aeroplane.

51903798489_07eed82f96_c_d.jpg

The thirty-year-old Modeldecals went on perfectly

• Like 14

Thanks Adrian. I am pleased with it so far. The decals settled down really well which is a big plus. I scratch built a new Aldis sight from a some plastic rod and brass tube as the kit version was a bit blobby and the ring sight came from an old PE sheet in the bits box. The wing will go on tonight, which is always of a bit fraught experience, even with the help Matchbox give you. 

Martin 

Now that I've had a catch up, I'm most impressed. Some nice work going on with some great tips against the day I do mine.

Afaik, your decal sheet is no longer available from the big H but it strikes me it could be a good one for them to reprint as they have with several other OOP Modeldecal sheets.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Top wing and undercarriage and a few other bits and pieces on and so now ready for the rigging. I plan on starting this tonight, and hopefully will not be too bad a job. It is a single bay biplane with no interplane structs apart from those in the centre section. Getting there.

51911858058_6b1db7c62c_c_d.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks, I would like to think so. Started rigging tonight. It's slow work, as quite fiddly, but beginning to come together. I aim to finish rigging tomorrow with luck.