Republic F-105 Thunderchief NMF panel materials/colors

Pax_1601

Hello everyone!

I've recently started building the Republic F-105D Thunderchief in 1:72 scale from Trumpeter. I'd like to build the Natural Metal Finish version from the 334th Tactical Fighter Squadron. For my previous NMF builds I've always gone for a uniform aluminium colour, but this time I would like to paint the panels with the appropriate shades. I've found some pictures online, for example this one:

Republic_F-105B_060831-F-1234S-049.jpg

However, all pictures I've found are in black and white, and never show the underside of the aircraft. 

Could anyone help me with some pictures or digital books I can buy to get a better reference for panel colours (both upper and lower sides)? I've already purchased an ebook but most of the pictures are for the camo versions, as expected, and this remains the best reference I've found.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards

Davide

Hi Davide

I have an F-105 D which I am about to backdate - maybe - to a B model

Your photo shows the earlier B model which has differences that would need to be addressed from your kit if its a "D".  The B has a smaller radome and front fuselage.

Cutting Edge did a conversion set in 1/32 scale for the Trumpeter kit under ref CE32171 and its worth looking that up on a review just to see whats involved there.

You can do an early D version and to some extent the painting can be made easier away from natural metal unfinished to an all over aluminium type paint under the "Look Alike" program.  Just seeing which machine was all natural metal unfinished and which was finished in the look alike program may require a bit of research but its there on line.  I think I recall that nearly all the D models were so finished.  I need to check that as its a while since I put my research away.

I have some reference  stuff that I can dig out and will PM you with later

bestest

John

Edited by JohnT
edited for spelling and fat finger typing
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Hi Davide

I have an F-105 D which I am about to backdate - maybe - the a B model

Your photo shows the earlier B model which has differences that would need to be addressed from your kit if its a "D".  It has a smaller radome and front fuselage.

Cutting Edge did a conversion set in 1/32 scale fro the Trumpeter kit under ref CE32171 and its worth looking that up on a review just to see whats involved there.

You can do an early D version and to some extent the painting can be made easier away from natural metal unfinished to an all over aluminium type paint under the "Look Alike" program.  Just seeing which machine was all natural metal unfinished and which was finished in the look alike program may require a bit of research but its there on line.  I think I recall that nearly all the D models were so finished.  I need to check that as its a while since I put my research away.

I have some reference  stuff that i can dig out and will PM you with later

bestest

John

Hi John thank you very much for your help! I went straight for the NMF because the box art of the kit shows it in such a finish and I really like it:

102677-11185-pristine.jpg

I've found a couple of pictures of F-105Ds in NMF, like here: https://www.airhistory.net/photo/11831/60-0474/00474

I would assume that panel colours would be the same in the B and D versions? However clearly I would prefer to use D references if possible :D

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pax_1601 said:

Hello everyone!

I've recently started building the Republic F-105D Thunderchief in 1:72 scale from Trumpeter. I'd like to build the Natural Metal Finish version from the 334th Tactical Fighter Squadron. For my previous NMF builds I've always gone for a uniform aluminium colour, but this time I would like to paint the panels with the appropriate shades. I've found some pictures online, for example this one:

Republic_F-105B_060831-F-1234S-049.jpg

However, all pictures I've found are in black and white, and never show the underside of the aircraft. 

Could anyone help me with some pictures or digital books I can buy to get a better reference for panel colours (both upper and lower sides)? I've already purchased an ebook but most of the pictures are for the camo versions, as expected, and this remains the best reference I've found.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards

Davide

All of the above references are fantastic and informative. I'll add my 2 cents and these may help. Starting with a USAF reference photo of a centerline MER and behind a fixed pylon

MER

The nest a color of a D model somewhere and has a contrast of shiny and dull. Not sure if the dull is aluminum paint or not.

Republic F-105D

The last I'm not sure if again aluminum paint or just the way the photo was taken. The remainder of the photos I have collected over the years are in black and white.

Republic F-105D

Maybe these will help or maybe not. At any rate you should have plenty of reference photos for your needs.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Hook said:

I think the Trumpeter F-105D, like the RoG kit, needs a few mods to accurately represent a unmodified example - see this RoG build

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/f105d.htm

Cheers,

Andre

It certainly does - it has all the airframe mods - despite having decal options that would not have had the mods 😃

Pat

Just now, Pat C said:
Edited by Pat C

Here are the access panel diagrams for the F-105D, sorry I thought I had the Structural Repair Manual which would have listed the material they are made from. 

These will at least give you an idea of the removable panels.  

bill

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2021 at 2:00 PM, JohnT said:

Santa Claus brought me a new book on the Thud which was recommended on here as perhaps the best Thud reference.  I will go away and have a read and PM you !

The best references for the Thud are these:

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-republic-f-105-thunderchief/james-geer/9780764316685 And 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thunderchief-Complete-History-Republic-F-105/dp/1580072593

As stated earlier, if you want a natural metal Thud you must go for one in its early career. There are lots of references above.

if you are going for a B this might help:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052712-a-colourful-thud-trumpeter-conversion-f-105b-thunderchief-54-0107-172/

Martin

PS: Davide

@Pax_1601 the poor old Trumpeter Thuds gets a lot of comments but it actually it isn't too bad. There a some scape issues and, of course, there is the rash of “rivets” but you can work around those. Good luck :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, f111guru said:

The last I'm not sure if again aluminum paint or just the way the photo was taken. The remainder of the photos I have collected over the years are in black and white.

My understanding is that Thunderchiefs were painted in an aluminium lacquer finish as part of an anti-corrosion measure in the early 1960s. I would guess this would mainly effect F-105Ds.

3 minutes ago, 71chally said:

My understanding is that Thunderchiefs were painted in an aluminium lacquer finish as part of an anti-corrosion measure in the early 1960s. I would guess this would mainly effect F-105Ds.

Correct, Project Lookalike IIRC, pretty sure this applied to any silver finished F-105's operating out of SEA.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your help, I think I have all the necessary references for my project. I think I will make a small panel chart with the various shades and upload it here should it ever be useful for anyone else!

Regards,

Davide

On 12/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, f111guru said:

The nest a color of a D model somewhere and has a contrast of shiny and dull. Not sure if the dull is aluminum paint or not.

Republic F-105D

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

It looks to be a mix of aluminum paint and natural metal, while the F-105 in the background looks to be overall paint.

Regards,

Murph