Jump to content

AZ/KP announced a new Spitfire MkX/XI from metal moulds, 1/72 scale


GioCare
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Spitfire Mk.XII is one of those aircraft everyone seems to want in 1/72 form (the XIV is another), judging by how many limited-run kits and conversions have been done over the years, and yet no one among the mainstream manufacturers wants to be bothered with it (or the XIV, except for Academy, I guess). I even built one myself, years ago, using an Airfix Mk.V and a Frog Mk.XIV nose (or maybe it was from a Testors Mk.22 - obviously we're going 'way back now). Yes, I know - to 90% of their customers, it's "just another Spitfire", I suppose.

 

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Must admit I prefer the XI to a XII so hoping AZ/KP do a good job of this one 🙏

Although my wallet thinks otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Col. said:

Must admit I prefer the XI to a XII so hoping AZ/KP do a good job of this one 🙏

Although my wallet thinks otherwise.

 

Same here, not because I have anything against the XII but I find the XI more interesting as saw wider service and wore several schemes and markings. Have to say that I have a XII and I may build another just to see what I could do with my current skills..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Same here, not because I have anything against the XII but I find the XI more interesting as saw wider service and wore several schemes and markings. Have to say that I have a XII and I may build another just to see what I could do with my current skills..

From purely personal viewpoint Giorgio I've three PR.I/IV, an FR.IX, and two PR.XIX in the display cabinet yet lack a PR.X and my favourite version which is the PR.XI so have high hopes for this forthcoming kit. As you say it wore a nice variety of markings and PRU Blue is my favourite colour so thus could get expensive haha.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, John Thompson said:

(or the XIV, except for Academy, I guess).

Fujimi did a XIV series as well..  low and razorback.

 

But back ontopic.  I guess I can safely put that old Ventura XI to rest now :P

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 352nd Fighter Group said:

Does any one no if the 1/72 scale resin Spitfire MK.XI from Attack squadron is still available ?

 

It's been OOP for years and the Attack Squadron brand was sold a while ago

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, John Thompson said:

The Spitfire Mk.XII is one of those aircraft everyone seems to want in 1/72 ... yet no one among the mainstream manufacturers wants to be bothered with it... Yes, I know - to 90% of their customers, it's "just another Spitfire", I suppose.

 

John

Perhaps more to the point, there's only one colour scheme and two front-line units  A choice of two rudders and tailwheels.....  

 

As for interesting, the Mk.XII with its single-stage Griffon appears to me to be much more interesting than the Mk.XI, which is in the end "just another" two-stage Merlin variant.  Nice enough indeed, but the Mk.VIII is already the star there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Released

- ref. KPM0290 - Supermarine Spitfire PR.Mk.X - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10615,en_spitfire-pr.-mk.x.html

- ref. KPM0291 - Supermarine Spitfire PR.Mk.XI - USAAF - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10616,en_spitfire-pr.-mk.xi-usaaf-.html

- ref. KPM0292 - Supermarine Spitfire PR.Mk.XI - RAF - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10617,en_spitfire-pr.-mk.xi-raf-.html

- ref. KPM0295 - Supermarine Spitfire PR.Mk.XI - SEAC - https://eshop.kovozavody.cz/10618,en_spitfire-pr.-mk.xi-seac-.html

 

KPM0290-RUist-.jpg KPM0291-RUist-.jpg

KPM0292-RUist-.jpg KPM0295-RUist-.jpg

 

V.P.

 

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 352nd Fighter Group said:

 Thinking of doing the NHS Spitfire 

The RAF boxing has PL893 included.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just bought both...the windscreen of the PR XI cockpit is wrong..is not curved...is the same of the PR X but KP only has removed the frame but the shape is the same, flat on the front.

 

Rgds

 

JOSE LUIS

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Jose Luis said:

Just bought both...the windscreen of the PR XI cockpit is wrong..is not curved...is the same of the PR X but KP only has removed the frame but the shape is the same, flat on the front.

 

Rgds

 

JOSE LUIS

 

Thanks for sharing the information ! It is quite disappointing, of course there are vacform replacements on the market but we shouldn't have to buy an aftermarket canopy for a kit issued in 2022....

Can I ask you if you can compare the main dimensions with for example the Eduard kit ? I'm curious to see if AZ/KP designed the kit from scratch or based this on their previous Spitfire IXs..

Thanks in advance !

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t have mine yet but there is always sand paper, known to improve shapes. Or a piece lifted from a PR XIX. Agree that shouldn’t be necessary in 2022, especially since AZ/KP clearly knew there was a difference.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They look quite nice, and I haven't done a Mk X yet, so that will probably be my first choice. From the screen shots both the bowser wing and fuselage seem well proportioned. I could see a bit of kitbashing with Airfix or Sword to create a better XIX in my future.

 

One should check one's references for the American XIs: towards the end they ditched the larger carburettor intakes for the small ones, probably in the interests of a few extra mph.

 

Justin

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IIRC the Mk.XIV was done not that long ago by Sword but no idea how accurate they are, although they received a good review on Hyperscale.

 

As for the Mk.XII if like me you are not up to doing conversions/amalgamations/surgery then nothing has yet filled this void, so the wait continues despite Mr. Quill regarding it as being the nicest Spitfire he ever flew.

 

Regards

Colin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to add that over the years there have been 4 main stream manufacturers who've had a go at the XIV with varying degrees of success, Frog, Academy, Fujimi and Sword, so the marque is quite well catered for to some degree for an average modeler like myself. So perhaps a XII is worth a shot for those who lack the skills, and perhaps courage, to undertake a conversion/amalgamation etc.. 

 

I did buy the Brigade conversion many years ago along with the recommended Italeri Vb donor kit but even then it seemed rather crude and a lot of hassle so I moved it on in the hope that a 'proper' one would come along.

 

Regards

Colin.

 

Ps. Oops, that should read 5 as AZ also did it as well

Edited by fishplanebeer
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2022 at 8:36 PM, Trenton guy said:

Don’t have mine yet but there is always sand paper, known to improve shapes. Or a piece lifted from a PR XIX. Agree that shouldn’t be necessary in 2022, especially since AZ/KP clearly knew there was a difference.

 

 

Sand paper is a great product however is less effective when it comes to adding material and judging from the pictures this may be the case here, with the windscreen too flat on the PR.XI. I'll only be able to fully assess a best way to sort the matter with the kit in my hands though, for the XI I'm willing to give it a go even if I know that I may end up dissatisfied with the kit...

 

16 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Just to add that over the years there have been 4 main stream manufacturers who've had a go at the XIV with varying degrees of success, Frog, Academy, Fujimi and Sword, so the marque is quite well catered for to some degree for an average modeler like myself. So perhaps a XII is worth a shot for those who lack the skills, and perhaps courage, to undertake a conversion/amalgamation etc.. 

 

I did buy the Brigade conversion many years ago along with the recommended Italeri Vb donor kit but even then it seemed rather crude and a lot of hassle so I moved it on in the hope that a 'proper' one would come along.

 

Regards

Colin.

 

I would not personally consider Sword kits as "mainstream", to me they are still short runs. Very good short runs but still not in the same league as companies like the others mentioned. Said that, Sword in a sense did make a XII in the past: the Xtrakit XII was made by them for Hannants

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Sand paper is a great product however is less effective when it comes to adding material and judging from the pictures this may be the case here, with the windscreen too flat on the PR.XI. I'll only be able to fully assess a best way to sort the matter with the kit in my hands though, for the XI I'm willing to give it a go even if I know that I may end up dissatisfied with the kit...

Since we're on the subject the PR.XI I'm with you in this respect Giorgio; like the type enough to be willing to deal with a flaw but would rather the kit was correct in the first instance. I've some Pavla canopies that can potentially be grafted into place but it would be a lot easier if the kit didn't require such additions. At least there's an armoured windscreen for any of us who want to do PL965 as she currently is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apart from the canopy, if this new kit is as good as AZ's 1/72 Mk.VIII from ten years ago (!!!), it will be a gem. I'm just starting the VIII (got the fuselage halves joined), and except for a bit of flash here and there, it reminds me of something by Arma Hobby - very fine panel lines, good shapes, and lots of fine detail!  :thumbsup:

 

John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...