AZ/KP announced a new Spitfire MkX/XI from metal moulds, 1/72 scale

GioCare

33 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I hope that for this kit AZ will make a totally new mould and not use the measurements on which their existing Mk.ix is based.

Personally I would rather bet on reworking a resin CMR kit of Spitfire XI (CMR1055) to a form suitable for injection from galvanised moulds.

• 2 months later...

Release by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - expected in March 2022

- ref. KPM0290 - Supermarine Spitfire PR.Mk.X

https://www.kovozavody.cz/produkt/spitfire-pr-mk-x/

KPM0290-box.jpg

KPM0290-kamo.jpg

- ref. KPM0291 - Supermarine Spitfire PR.Mk.XI - USAAF

https://www.kovozavody.cz/produkt/spitfire-pr-mk-xi-usaaf/

KPM0291-box.jpg

KPM0291-kamo.jpg

- ref. KPM0292 - Supermarine Spitfire PR.Mk.XI - RAF

https://www.kovozavody.cz/produkt/spitfire-pr-mk-xi-raf/

KPM0292-box.jpg

KPM0292-kamo.jpg

- ref. KPM0295 - Supermarine Spitfire PR.Mk.XI - SEAC

https://www.kovozavody.cz/produkt/spitfire-pr-mk-xi-seac/

KPM0295-box.jpg

KPM0295-kamo.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

The PRXI looks nice . I just might borrow the SEAC scheme options as a source of reference to revamp my Ventura build I have which is currently in Danish markings.

HA!!  Just finishing my Freightdog/Airfix Spit XIX conversion.  Don't all thank me at once.

🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

Edited by Meatbox8
Forgot to add my Ukraine flag.
  • Haha 7

Why have they repeated the Spitfire X in pink?

I thought that threads on this forum had debunked that scheme?

The RAF wouldn't paint a high-altitude aircraft in low-level markings!

Nice choice of other markings though, so I will just ignore the spurious one.

I've always been led to believe that the AZ Spitfire IX's were pretty good and accurate (I have the AZ low back IX/XVI kit somewhere) so if this is the case and the new KP kits are based upon these previous molds then I'm really looking forward to both the X and XI and I have both on back order.

Not sure when they will appear but I'm quite happy to wait as I don't see anything else out there, or planned, that covers these two marques for someone who isn't adept at  butchering various kits, some of which are currently not available (Eduard), in order to create either.

If they are up to the standard of their recent Spitfire/Seafire and Tempest releases then I will be more than happy.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

I've always been led to believe that the AZ Spitfire IX's were pretty good and accurate (I have the AZ low back IX/XVI kit somewhere) so if this is the case and the new KP kits are based upon these previous molds then I'm really looking forward to both the X and XI and I have both on back order.

Not sure when they will appear but I'm quite happy to wait as I don't see anything else out there, or planned, that covers these two marques for someone who isn't adept at  butchering various kits, some of which are currently not available (Eduard), in order to create either.

If they are up to the standard of their recent Spitfire/Seafire and Tempest releases then I will be more than happy.

Regards

Colin.

Good would depend on each modeller's standard, to me they are Ok-ish, not too bad but not as nice as others and not as good as for example the later Bf-109Gs from the same company in terms of quality of the parts. They are quite simple to build, fit is ok but still feel to me more like advanced short-runs than "mainstream" kits

Accurate however they are not, the wings in particular lack in span and chord. In general they look on the small side in everything and this difference shows when compared to for example the Eduard kits (that on the other hand compare well to measurements of the real thing).

Mind, only talking about the Mk,IX kit and variants here, that is the closest to the PR.X/XI.

That's why I hope that for these new kits AZ/KP have started from scratch and not based the design on their existing kit. If they have used the previous kit, then to me it would mean another missed opportunity to build a proper PR.XI from the box. But then I like my Spitfires to be on the accurate side of things, I'm sure many will not care

• Like 4

I'm also keen for a kit to be accurate but I'm not one who meticulously measures every dimension and then compares with the available plans, always assuming the plans themselves are correct of course which is another subject and COW (can of worms). 

If their new kits 'look right' then I'll be happy until perhaps Eduard, Arma or SH produce their own versions, although as Eduard currently aren't even producing their existing Spitfire kits (not sure why) this may be a while yet.

In the meantime I think KP should be applauded for being so active in terms of new releases when you think of their recent Tempests, Seafires and Spitfire 1's as at the very least they are providing a very good start point for those who may have a far greater eye for absolute accuracy than myself, of which I know there are many.

Just my humble thoughts as a very modest modeller.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fishplanebeer said:

I'm also keen for a kit to be accurate but I'm not one who meticulously measures every dimension and then compares with the available plans, always assuming the plans themselves are correct of course which is another subject and COW (can of worms). 

If their new kits 'look right' then I'll be happy until perhaps Eduard, Arma or SH produce their own versions, although as Eduard currently aren't even producing their existing Spitfire kits (not sure why) this may be a while yet.

In the meantime I think KP should be applauded for being so active in terms of new releases when you think of their recent Tempests, Seafires and Spitfire 1's as at the very least they are providing a very good start point for those who may have a far greater eye for absolute accuracy than myself, of which I know there are many.

Just my humble thoughts as a very modest modeller.

Regards

Colin.

Just to put a few things right, my comments on the accuracy of the KP Spit IXs are not based on drawings that may or not be accurate. These and other kits of the same variant have been compared to measurements of a number of real aircraft by several modellers. Certain kits matched better than others, the KP ones were not among the ones that matched.

To give an example, wingspan is shorter than should be by around 5 mm. Is it something to worry about ? Up to each to decide, personally I consider this quite a lot on something relatively small as a 1/72 Spitfire but then I have a particular interest in Supermarine's finest, others may not be bothered.

Regarding the Eduard kits, a large number of sprues was destroyed by a fire in a warehouse, Once Eduard will have replenished their stock the kits will return to the market.

• Like 2

I don't have any of the KP Spitfire IX's so I have no hands on experience of them but I do have the AZ HF.IXe low back which I think is well regarded, so as KP and AZ work hand in glove hopefully the new kits will be perhaps more AZ than KP, or they could of course be completely new molds possibly? Any way I'm happy to buy them as there are no real alternatives available currently, or likely to be in the foreseeable future.

I knew Eduard had a major warehouse fire and thankfully it seems the molds were not damaged so hopefully their Spitfire kits will reappear soon and pull the plug on the over priced second hand market.

Regards

Colin.

Sorry, just to clarify, I also don't think that a 72nd scale model of a Spitfire should be 5mm short in wingspan and that this smacks of poor design and research particularly when Eduard and others have been able to get such a basic dimension correct. However my point is that in the absence of any other option for the versions being produced by KP then I'm happy to buy them and accept their limitations until maybe better ones come along. To be honest if someone (anyone) produced a 72nd scale Mk.XII then I'd just be happy that it exists in this scale (at long last) and would be quite forgiving in terms of some dimensional errors.

Regards

Colin.

5 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There have been at least two (three?) kits of a Mk.XII plus at least two conversions  I believe that the Brigade set is still available as an easy conversion kit.

I can think of three kits in 1/72 - Merlin (better you should try to convert a Mk.XII from something else, like maybe a DC-3, or a pile of styrene cutlery), Model News, and Xtrakit.

John

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

I can think of three kits in 1/72 - Merlin (better you should try to convert a Mk.XII from something else, like maybe a DC-3, or a pile of styrene cutlery), Model News, and Xtrakit.

John

And two(?) versions of an Aeroclub conversion - vac fuselage plus whitemetal details.  Combining the engine cowlings, prop and exhaust from this with one of the recent Eduard or KP V types should give a reasonable result.

Given that the KP kit had already been discounted because of its under-span wings, and Eduard don't do a Mk.V, I think not.   If not the new Airfix, I would suggest an Italeri Mk.V as a better starting point as the main faults of this kit are in the forward fuselage.  It is easy to take a razor saw to the Italeri radiator to remove it from the wing, then bend the sides inwards to the correct vertical, then glue it on again.

57 minutes ago, malpaso said:

And two(?) versions of an Aeroclub conversion - vac fuselage plus whitemetal details.  Combining the engine cowlings, prop and exhaust from this with one of the recent Eduard or KP V types should give a reasonable result.

Plus the CMR full kit in resin…