Finished - PK-177 Churchill AVRE bridgelayer tank

When I was a lad, I converted an Airfix Churchill to an AVRE, complete with 'brush bristle' fascine (back in the days when the Airfix Mag was full of conversions).

The bridge layer will be so much more impressive :thumbsup:.

• Like 2

So I've made a bit more progress on this one:

IMG_20220219_221443039_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

I know, there are some seams and stuff but you don't see it as much with my actual eyes 😆🧐

So the guy in the turret is actually a US tank captain - according to the Revell set I got him from, which is US infantry but has this one random pose in it. 

I have a vague idea to do a diorama - something I've never really done before - and it involves using the rest of the the US infantry set. If I do it, I'll do it in this thread, although it will probably also include the Morris quad and howitzer I'm doing in the Bombers group build.

So I cut the .45 pistol out of his hand, and he's pointing at something, and there's going to be some soldiers by the tank and I guess the idea is he's saying, "dude, look over there". I need to trim a bit more off now that I see the photo.

IMG_20220219_221340807.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

Remember this is like the first or second tank I've built since I was a kid. Not my forte. But it's been fun so far!

• Like 5

My tank is in the final stretch now. 

This framework on the back was a real pain. It fell apart many times. In the end, i had to drill a new hole on the top of the tank, and then I used superglue on every joint because I knew this would basically take the whole weight of the bridge.

IMG_20220225_213507857.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

Then I added the mounts at the front of the tank(you can't see them in this photo). I used superglue for those, too, for the same reason. Here you can see it with half the bridge.

IMG_20220225_213610492_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

for the longest time I thought this bridge folded in half and somehow unfolded as it deployed. This turns out not to be the case - it's a single span.

IMG_20220225_220041600.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

You'd think it'd be flat, too, but it's not.

I used thread from a long lost sailing ship kit, and before using it, I ran it over this wax stick a few times. I've found (with said long lost sailing ship) that this waxing helps prevent the dreaded "hairy rigging" effect after a few years when the thread starts to look furry.

IMG_20220225_221413111.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

There is a rigging diagram in the instructions and it basically gets you to do this:

IMG_20220225_224828143_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

In the pic above I had yet to attach the winder thing to the framework. Here in the pic below, it's attached. I need to paint that plastic thing that holds it in place. That's also stuck there with superglue.

IMG_20220225_230203968_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

You can see that the huge weight I put in it way back at the beginning has really worked. The tank totally sits on its tracks even at the back - in fact, maybe too much, compared to the pics I found online.

IMG_20220225_230158072_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

IMG_20220225_230214532_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

Anyway, it's nearly finished. I still want to put the commander in it, so I need to paint him. And there is some touch up paint for the green colour, and then I want to do some detail painting (like that big cable on the side, and maybe I'll do some light weathering or try to add some mud or something. I don't actually know how to do that, being the guy who normally models planes. But I will think it over.

This is actually a really cool kit. I love the pulley system - and note, it actually works. If you hold the little winder very carefully, so that you don't snap it, you can really wind up or down and the bridge will indeed raise or lower. I won't do it too much because it's obviously not going to last long - perhaps I should have replaced the winder thing with a metal piece.

If you can get this kit without paying stupid prices I recommend it - i've enjoyed it so far, for sure.

• Like 8

Looking good.

I had forgotten about the bridge being one part. The type that folded was known as a scissors bridge I believe and I think that they were used on turretless chassis - mainly Covenanter or Valentine. The one in this kit is a "Small Box Girder Bridge" which was carried in one piece. - bigger versions could be towed on a skid I seem to remember. Mine also worked - for a few months, and then the cotton snapped! The bridge is now seperate and the tank turned into a more normal AVRE without the winch and frame at the back.

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've loved reading through this thread. I was given this kit as a birthday or Christmas present back in the 90s. I contemplated building it many times, but I wasn't that interested in armour. I've recently turned to the darkside and been seduced by all things tracks and mud. As far as I know the kit is gathering dust somewhere in my parents' house and I'm feeling the urge to investigate. Thanks!

• Like 2

Come on @Bobby No Mac there will never be a better opportunity to build it than this GB :wicked:

Brilliant progress @bianfuxia and thank you for explaining that is a wax stick in the picture, rather than you clearing up after the dog which was my first thought before I read the description  :phew:

Cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2022 at 3:13 AM, Bobby No Mac said:

I've loved reading through this thread. I was given this kit as a birthday or Christmas present back in the 90s. I contemplated building it many times, but I wasn't that interested in armour. I've recently turned to the darkside and been seduced by all things tracks and mud. As far as I know the kit is gathering dust somewhere in my parents' house and I'm feeling the urge to investigate. Thanks!

You should find it and finally build it! I had it sitting around in my stash too and never would have built it, probably, were it not for this GB.

I am calling it done now, too.

It has no markings because the kit didn't come with any decals and I have no way to make them and no spares.

IMG_20220320_221104634_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

I finished up this guy to sit in the turret - I realize it's likely inaccurate. I mean, not sure why he'd need binoculars. The bridge - and therefore the river - is literally right in front of him. And the mortar cannon deal on his turret is likely very short ranged. And his hat is probably wrong....

But he looks cool I think.

IMG_20220320_221313964_HDR.jpg?w=1058&ss

As I mentioned above he's actually a US tanker and was a standing figure firing his .45 at something. I chopped most of that off and the idea was that he's pointing out to some bad guys so the troops near the tank (part of the diorama I visualised but probably won't build) can go shoot them while this guy lays down the bridge.

IMG_20220320_221310833_HDR.jpg?w=1038&ss

I'm not hugely talented at figures as you can see but I gave that baby pink fresh face a shot of watery black paint. Maybe it could use some more...but even with my eyepiece magnifier it's hard to make it look good in a macro shot.

Anyway - it's done and it's been fun. Better photos in the gallery shortly. I think I will dig a little trench in the gravelly part of my yard and have the tank lay a bridge across that.

Next up, the Auto Union racing car...

thanks for watching and for all the great comments!

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 5

IMG_20220321_133319176_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

It's finished!

IMG_20220321_133323914_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

IMG_20220321_133334858_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

IMG_20220321_133347740_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

IMG_20220321_133401008_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

At this point, apart from marvelling at the tank, you're doubtless thinking "how did he model water SO REALISTICALLY?"

Well, I will let you in on the trick.

First take some H, and then some O, and mix them PRECISELY at the ratio of 2:1.

Then, you need to put that liquid into a special receptacle known as a round bucket.

Gently pour the liquid into the river-shaped cavity you prepared previously.

IMG_20220321_133415125_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

IMG_20220321_133415125_HDR2.jpg?w=1352&s

• Like 12

• bianfuxia changed the title to Finished - PK-177 Churchill AVRE bridgelayer tank
23 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Fabulous stuff :thumbsup:

(has the eagle-eyed commander just spotted way round the water?)

Cheers

Haha yes he's justifying his existence by saying, "Use my bridge! Seriously, there are....mines... on that spot where you could really easily drive around this modest aquatic obstacle. Mines! And booby traps, and sharp sticks and I think I saw a rabid badger, too, right there where I'm pointing! So please, use my bridge!"

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...