Last One for 2021: Porsche 956 Short-Tail

Firstly apologies for the photos - I like to take images in natural daylight but it's raining here and blowing a gale and doesn't look much like clearing up anytime soon...

Anyway this is Studio 27's Porsche 956 Short-Tail kit in 1/43 scale, the 1984 DRM (Deutsche Rennsport Meisterschaft) version in the colours of the late, great Stefan Bellof. I was lucky to see him race twice prior to his untimely passing in 1985. Anyway it's largely OOB, with just some extra hoses and wiring.

001 (2)

002 (3)

003 (2)

005 (4)

006 (2)

009 (4)

011 (2)

• Like 21

11 hours ago, Paul D said:

Very nice build.  Have one of these in my stash to build, any issues to look for?

Yes a few: my main gripe was that there are a lot of parts on the very thin sheet of PE which aren't shown in the instructions. In the main these are backing pieces for lights and indicators and would work better than my usual "paint the back clear red/orange etc and overpaint with silver/chrome" method. I worked it out in the end. Also I attached the PE side panels (the body side where the exhaust protrudes) before painting; this part sandwiches a very thin PE turbo support arm and makes it difficult to fit the painted bodywork when the time comes. The instructions do tell you to add the side panels after installing the main bodywork, which is a better option in terms of ease of fitting, but I like to get the main body parts painted as an assembly rather than add parts afterwards and risk unsightly joins. So that one is a personal choice really.

You will think that the windscreen aperture is too small but it's an illusion caused by the recess being quite wide: it all begins to look right as soon as you paint the recess black and add the screen.

Oh and seatbelts! It needs a decent aftermarket set. That bit is plain annoying.

Overall it's not as delicate as an equivalent MFH kit, and the instructions are not so precise either, but it is workable, and you do get a lot of kit for your money, even though it's not exactly cheap.

12 hours ago, Kitkent said:

That’s just beyond excellent! I’ve made loads of Starter and Horbra kits of these cars,but they look like toys compared to this one. Chris.

Me too: I have lost count of the Starter 962s I've built (I always replace their resin headlight assemblies though). Sadly I have only built one Horbra 962 (Brun Hydro Aluminium sprint car) and I wish I'd bought more at the time. They are lovely kits :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Yes a few: my main gripe was that there are a lot of parts on the very thin sheet of PE which aren't shown in the instructions. In the main these are backing pieces for lights and indicators and would work better than my usual "paint the back clear red/orange etc and overpaint with silver/chrome" method. I worked it out in the end. Also I attached the PE side panels (the body side where the exhaust protrudes) before painting; this part sandwiches a very thin PE turbo support arm and makes it difficult to fit the painted bodywork when the time comes. The instructions do tell you to add the side panels after installing the main bodywork, which is a better option in terms of ease of fitting, but I like to get the main body parts painted as an assembly rather than add parts afterwards and risk unsightly joins. So that one is a personal choice really.

You will think that the windscreen aperture is too small but it's an illusion caused by the recess being quite wide: it all begins to look right as soon as you paint the recess black and add the screen.

Oh and seatbelts! It needs a decent aftermarket set. That bit is plain annoying.

Overall it's not as delicate as an equivalent MFH kit, and the instructions are not so precise either, but it is workable, and you do get a lot of kit for your money, even though it's not exactly cheap.

Thanks! Sounds like a decent challenge similar to the MFH kits then.

• Like 1