28 Sqn Hunter FGA9. 1/48 Hawker hacking by hendie

hendie

Despite all the issues it has turned out (as we have come to expect from you) beautifully.

So has the carpet monster started to evolve, and we now have a desk monster to deal with too??

Ian

• Haha 3

A superbly stunning result  culminating in an outstanding replica of one of Hawker's finest!

Great workmanship and attention to detail as always with your builds. Looking forward to the next adventure what ever it might be

Stay safe            Roger

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hendie said:

In hindsight...

I should probably have used far fewer colors and chosen a few muted shades compatible with shades of aluminum.

I should probably been less liberal with the dotting. 

I should probably not have used some old cheapo oils I had lying about.

I should probably have thought it out a lot more and not just jumped in at the deep end.

That is all true, except (IMHO) for the very first line: you should have left the metal areas alone and not even get close to them with oils. I only use oil dotting on painted areas; you should have probably only tried the roundels, as a start. :shrug: 

Model looks great anyway - and excellent fix on the seat ejection handles :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hendie said:

Still, that's a Hunter off the 28 Sqn List now. 

And a beautiful job it is to, and a very brave man indeed to try out this much favoured oil dotting, and then remove it. Class and respect!

Another enjoyable thread Alan.

Terry

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hendie said:

Still, that's a Hunter off the 28 Sqn List now.

Didn't they have a two seater then? :poke:

Beautiful Billy Bunter. That is a very nice bang seat too.

Looking forward to the next plastic mangling extravaganza.

• Haha 3

Sorry to hear that the oil dots didn’t come good. It would have been interesting to see what it looked like before it got wiped away. I think I tried it on My 1:24 Hurricane. A lot fewer spots Mind and it worked. Very subtle though, nothing quite as cool as our @giemmeseemed to get. Regardless she turned out rather lovely. I know what you mean about some kits not really being a challenge but sometimes that’s ok, for me anyway. It’s almost a case of “The modeller doth protest too much”  we love it that we have to fix badly fitting / designed offerings.  Stepping down off my soap box I’ll nod my appreciation at the Hunter and hope you find some ‘orrible kit that needs a damn good thrashing for your next escapade. 😉

Johnny

• Haha 4

It’s funny how sometimes for no apparent reason a particular model doesn’t spark the passion.  We still finish it, and still take pride in doing a good job, practicing the craft.  But, the finish is usually lacking that certain something, a spark or flair which shows we cared, that we leaned in and applied ourselves.

Your closing paragraph suggests this was such a model for you, even including an explanation as to why, but for the life of me I can’t tell by looking at the finished Hunter.

• Like 4

Sorry about the oil painting/dot matrix experiment.  I have not tried it yet, but I too think its effectiveness is probably better on a colored surface rather than a metallic surface.  As for the missing part that just vanishes, I blame that on a time space/companion alternative dimension/gremlin theory.  Somehow, without you taking a breath or disturbing the air space around you, some sort of grubbins thing pops out of dimensional time travel to whisk away a vitally important part that you just had in front of you and has now disappeared.   You will then find the missing part several years later in a place that was impossible for it to end up at and wonder how on earth that happened.   Just recently, I found the missing ignition ring to a 1/32 Trumpeter Avenger that went AWOL more than a few years ago and I had to scratch build the part.  The odd thing was I found it in a drawer at my home.  Where I do my modeling is in an office about 10 miles away.  Lousy inter-dimensional, time-warping gremlins!!  It was also a humbling experience as the part I found and what I scratch built to replace it really looked nothing alike.  You, Hendie would have made an exact, cannot tell the difference part.  The Hunter is really stunning.  The replacement handle part looked great.  Only you would complain it was just only satisfactory.  What's next?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/2/2022 at 8:22 PM, hendie said:

Only a Hunter could still look good from this angle

Marg would too tbf. She looks rather pleased with your efforts, so...... mmmmm Marg.... 

I cant help but think that something is missing, I just cannot quite put my finger on it

• Haha 1

Now that's one gorgeous looking Hunter.  Does a most beautiful aircraft absolutely full justice.  Proves at least 2 things to my mind (1) 'proper' aircraft ain't covered in greeblies (duck's and leaves the room) and (2) a hendie build without greeblies is still a hendie build with all the quality that implies.

Oil dotting?  FWIW (not much) my take on it is that you first need to decide what it is you're trying to replicate and I sort of 'spect you probably weren't quite sure.

I reckon you could properly use oil over aluminium here but probably in different ways to oil dotting.

There's some nice hatches and access panels on the underside that could be subtly emphasised with a light dot of an umber-like tone wiped and spread gently over ther panel with a  brush and gentle thinners (like sansadoor) and maybe some others with a dirty grey tone.  The key being only a small tonal change as a result.

And there's some nice edges and corners, like the fuselage and airbrake bulges that could handle a tiny bit of shadow-like emphasis with some darkish oil.

And I reckon a few tiny dots of dirty grey oil on areas like the leading edges, just stippled nearly off, would give a pleasingly mottled look; not replicating any uneven fading of the surface finish but just tonal variation left over from rain, dirt, oily cloths etc etc.

And of course the great thing is if you don't like the result then you just wipe it off.

But this here Hunter doesn't need such attention.  She's special just as she is :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 6