28 Sqn Hunter FGA9. 1/48 Hawker hacking by hendie

hendie

Wow, that's great work on the pylons, you should sell them on tinternet.

I know nothing about Hawker Hunters, so forgive my foolish question. It looks like Airfix have supplied an "older style" airbrake that is shorter than the ones I have observed on later versions (e.g. FGA9). The later(?) style completely covers the trench for the actuator. From my meagre research, I believe Airfix have got it right (phew). Do you know when the change was made? I seem to recall something about this in another thread but can't find it.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

• Like 2

Ooops, slipping in at the back a tad late, but look, page 3 already and you've nearly finished!

Nice choice of subject for a SPIPIP (see I have actually read it all). I'm especially interested in this one as after my first 1/48 build last year (a Meteor F8), I actually picked up one of these a little while back in the form of the F4 boxing but which seems to have all the parts for the F6 and a Naval one judging by the nose options. 

I'll be following with interest and taking notes on how to build it properly!

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh found you. Playing a round with a hunter I see. I do have this kit so it’s going to be a pleasure watching someone who knows what they’re doing put it together first. 😀 only read through the first post and I just know you’re going to find something too greeble! 🤪 you ain’t foolin’ me guvnor.  I’ll tag along if you don’t mind.

Johnny. 🙌

Not sure how I missed this, Alan, but seeing that I'm joining so late, how about that paint you promised a few posts ago? Asking for a friend, you know....

:rofl2:

Loving the build so far, BTW :clap: 

Ciao

• Haha 1

ok all caught up. Told you you’d find something to fix. 👍😀

”How much More black? And the answer is, none. None more black”.  Ahhh I do love that quote, especially with lots of black areas covered in dark shadowy blackness. Love the MB seat. Very nice. And I think the idea for getting tread on the tyres is masterful. Might half inch that.  Great progress. 

Johnny. 🙌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apologies for being AWOL chaps.  That old nugget called life sort of got in the way and while I've been catching up here and there on BM I haven't had much chance of bench time recently. Since you lot are all moaning though I thought I had best post some kind of update just to keep the wolves at bay.

The not quite so mighty Hunter got some primer. - eventually.  It put up a brave fight but succumbed in the end.  I used a new (to me) primer that everyone seems to rave about - more on that later.

P1080002.jpg

The decision is made. I'm giving up on Alclad primer. My current grey primer (which is actually cream colored) is going in the bin. I'm very disappointed in the inconsistency of quality of their primers, and had enough.

I remembered to stick the front window in place (and subsequently forgot to paint that black before any primer/top coat went on).  Masking tape is there to prevent any errant glue spills.

P1100003.jpg

Of course, the inevitable happened.

P1110004.jpg

Before you all jump to conclusions, no, it wasn't the new primer. It was Alclad again.  Take a gander at the masking tape and note how the paint stuck to the masking tape is a different color?  That was some Alclad primer that I didn't remove around the cockpit area as I was worried about losing detail.  It was definitely the Alclad that gave way and not the new stuff.

P1110005.jpg

So what is this new wonder stuff I hear you all say?  Well since you ask... I have been doing some research trying to find a replacement for the Alclad grey, and saw many, many posts with people raving about Stynylrez primer, so I dug deep and ordered some.

Conclusion?  It's going straight into the bin alongside the Alclad.  Horrible despicable stuff.  It really is.

I tried everything to get it to spray.  It's supposed to be used straight from the bottle :hmmm:- they're having a larf surely?  The stuff is like trying to airbrush treacle on a cold day.

I tried 3 different sized nozzles all above the 0.5 that everyone mentions. I couldn't get it to splutter at anything less than 35 PSI. 40 PSI was only slightly better.  I tried thinning it with IPA, thinning with Acetone, with Mr Color Leveling thinner, and plain old water.

Water proved to be the 'best' (relative term there) thinner but even then I could only spray for a somewhere between 10 and 30 seconds before it coughed and fell over.

This is probably why it didn't want to come out of the airbrush.  This happened every time I tried to spray it, and it was a real pig to clean up the airbrush before I could try again.

P1150006.jpg

this appeared to be a smooth mix about 5 mins earlier...

P1160007.jpg

Back to the internet and then found a whole bunch of people complaining about quality control of Stynylrez and how susceptible it was to temperature change and other factors.

Did I say it was going in the bin?

I'm really tempted to go to Mr Color primers but it only comes in small jars and I loved the convenience of spray straight from the bottle.  More research needed methinks.

In a huff with primer I drilled some holes in the nose wheel.  I even managed to space them somewhat evenly which is unusual for me.

P1180010.jpg

With the primer fiasco above, it took a few session of micromeshing to get the case coat anywhere near smooth, but it was getting time to add color.   

Hear that Giorgio? 

Color!

You want color?  Here you go then...

20220124-173418.jpg

OOps!  :D    Cat's out of the bag now isn't it?  That's been the reason for my slight AWOLness of late.  Due to circumstances outside of my control, I was informed I had other priorities and had to have some 1:1 modeling done in the basement. There was this one, then there's another one next to it, and there's a smaller one just around the corner. Still lots to do before I'm allowed out on my own though.

Oh, you want the other color.  Here you go then. A Hunter swathed in luxurious grey

P1180008.jpg

I used Mr Color this time (learning my lessons) and what a pleasure it was to spray after that lumpy treacle of a primer.  

I'm glad I made the effort to open out the boundary layer vents. As small a feature as it is, I think it does add something to the overall effect.

P1180009.jpg

The tanks were given a splash of same before I get into masking and detailing

P1240012.jpg

and there we have it.  Normal service will be resumed as soon as my priorities have been adjusted.

• Like 19

Sorry to hear of you primer woes, but looking good now.

I’ve used Stynylrez primer a few times but only in black and haven’t had any problems. Perhaps the colour makes a difference to the final outcome, but I don’t see why it should. 

Is the Mr Color primer very smelly? I’m looking for a replacement for my Halfords grey primer which I can’t get any more from the UK. I’ve ruled out Tamiya primer as SWMBO objects to the odour.

John

• Like 2

Looking good now. 

I tried Stynlrez a few years back. I managed to get it to spray ok but it didn’t like sticking to a model much. In fact it stuck to the airbrush better. Since when I’ve been a convert to Mr Colour and never looked back. 

Keep up the good work. 

James 

• Like 2

I like ultimate primer, it’s aqueous and can be thinned if needed with water or ( I tend to use) Tamiya thinner. The only niggle I have is that it is subject to tip drying in the airbrush so you do need to periodically clean the nozzle and tip.

resized_2cd8e1d6-a095-45e9-b977-7396690cI did manage to do 14 109s in one session with it last year( when I think of it….)

resized_a586a74a-cf92-4712-a28b-9a327d69I use grey, but it comes in black and white as well and lasts a long time, I got this bottle in 2019 and there’s still plenty left.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear of your primer problems Alan. It has been a familiar theme in my life too. Alclad has given me some very variable results, and I'm also finding some water based acrylic primers don't always stay down when masking is lifted, but for me it does also seem to be the relationship with what's underneath the primer. For example I've found that where Mr Surfacer has been used to fill/smooth areas, acrylic primers on top can lift (but not all of them do!). I'd say batch issues must have plagued Alclad for sure, so all a bit random with them really. I know some AFV modellers who swear by Stynylrez primer and I have used it once a while back and had no problems that I recall. I'm currently having to "restore" the underside of a P-51H which had AK One Shot grey primer, covered with AK extreme metal enamel - mostly it worked, but some small areas lifted after masking. Could have been the Mr Surfacer "sub coat" issue I mentioned before as it seems to have peeled away from areas that had received that treatment prior to primer. Incidentally, AK extreme metal on to AK's gloss black primer has been amazing, with no lifting at all after a complex multi panel masking of an F-86.

I have yet to experience any issues with Mr Paint (MRP) or Mr Colour primers, so I tend to stick with those now, but primers and masking is a black art for me these days, for sure!

The Hunter looks lovely in its latest primed state.

Terry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I like ultimate primer, it’s aqueous and can be thinned if needed with water or ( I tend to use) Tamiya thinner. The only niggle I have is that it is subject to tip drying in the airbrush so you do need to periodically clean the nozzle and tip.

resized_2cd8e1d6-a095-45e9-b977-7396690cI did manage to do 14 109s in one session with it last year( when I think of it….)

resized_a586a74a-cf92-4712-a28b-9a327d69I use grey, but it comes in black and white as well and lasts a long time, I got this bottle in 2019 and there’s still plenty left.

This is my 'go-to' primer as well Marklo. Agree about it drying quickly, I mix in some home brew flow improver, and also dilute it with thinners. But as a relative newbie it's the only primer I've used so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

and that’s why I don’t use primer at all. 🤷‍♂️

Risky, I do find that I get much better results where I prime first. That said I don’t always prime and I even resort to brush painting or rattlecans sometimes.

resized_c10271be-7fa1-4d9f-ab7c-16592ad5
My Graham White was brush painted with out priming. 

resized_d16e9013-f1b8-45e7-9324-eeb5c297But the likes of the Sukhoi just had to be primed to have a hope of getting the needed nmf look.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 4:24 PM, hendie said:

it's just not getting my juices flowing so I'm not sure how far I'll go on the legs.

Why am I hearing a Led Zeppelin song in my head?

I need to do something similar to my house, in order to have a proper workshop.  I really should...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In all seriousness, I've never has paint adhesion issues with spraying directly onto plastic, as long as it's properly prepared with a degreasing agent (I use Windex).  I do check suspect seams with random paint before applying the colour coats.  Throwing a primer coat  in the mix just adds risk for not much reward as I have found.

Now, the Hunter however, I've very glad to see it progressing, and in such fine fettle too.  Please keep going.  Please. :)

• Like 3

I am STILL waiting for my Jaguar ladder!

Nice work though. Maybe try that lovely resin FR10 conversion set on your next one. It is oooh such a delight.

• Haha 1

On 25/01/2022 at 00:51, hendie said:

Here you go then. A Hunter swathed in luxurious grey

P1180008.jpg

looking fantastic!
Sorry to hear of your Primer woes though. I use Tamiya rattle can myself. It’s really good but…. It does smell. It smells amazing!!🤤

On 25/01/2022 at 07:31, Biggles87 said:

I’ve ruled out Tamiya primer as SWMBO objects to the odour.

Ha! Actually lolled at this.  My wife always calls up for me to shut my door if I’m spraying Tamiya primer or top coat as she says she can smell nerd. 🤣 

Great work on the cellar too. Looks really great. Is that bellow ground level? I fear my cellar would be too damp for such furnishings.  

Johnny

• Haha 2

Sympathy on the primer tribulations Alan but that Mr.Color looks a fantastic finish - especially on them dandy looking pylons.

On 25/01/2022 at 00:51, hendie said:

There was this one, then there's another one next to it, and there's a smaller one just around the corner

How much wine are you intending to store exactly?

• Haha 2

Wine should be stored in a cellar. Hendie has basements, which are different. Mostly because of the spelling.

20220124-173418.jpg

This picture proves that while Hendie has many followers, he only has one fan.

• Haha 14

On 12/28/2021 at 10:33 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice choice of subject. I can't imagine why you waited so long. A lovely Aeroplane.

I remember doing retractions on the Mech's course. Someone had to catch the fluid in a bin on the blowdown part. Not me though.

There's opportunity for a couple of good 'f'nars' in the opening chapter, but I'll have to let you off this early in the build. (Oh, alright, maybe a 'snort'!)

He's self isolating, so you'll have to help yourself. Please replace the corks after use.

I've loaded the Dray wagon with Firkins of Old Sporran & am awaiting a Landing craft for the transatlantic trip to Texas.

And Texas is awaiting your arrival with bated breath.

• Haha 1

Well, I am very impressed with your scratchbuilding efforts and results.  It is pretty impressive and you have become even more talented.  You still have the same deprecating treatment of your own abilities, so some things don't change.  I also must commend you on your 1:1 building skills.  A lovely aircraft even though it doesn't have propellers.

• Like 1