PK-112 Fairey Swordfish - COMPLETED.

Thanks for nominating to build the Swordfish Tim, really looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I’ve got a sealed Black Box example slowly shipping its way over from Germany and hope too (eventually) build mine as the all black RAF radar equipped example. I’m not planning mine during this GB as I’ve already committed three kits myself, however seeing yours being build might actually change my mine if there’s still time left at the end of this big show. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whilst awaiting the launch flag, here are my previous stringbags.  

First an Airfix 1/72 Bismark hunter.  This the first generation kit - mine build about 1990.

Airfix_Swordfish_S.jpg

Then a Novo 1/72, pre-war floatplane.  Built about 1997.

Novo-Swordfish-2.jpg

Finally another Airfix first generation kit, this time as a Taranto raider.

Airfix-Swordfish-I-RS.jpg

Which makes me realise, that I want a white Swordfish in my collection - rather than a black one.

Looking for a white, radar equipped (which I've found), and hopefully D-Day stripes (not yet).

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

A small, no-cost improvement on my build.

There is a gap between the wing struts and undercarriage parts, for the lower wings to fold.

Breakdown of parts, gets this right for the upper wing, but not for the lower. 

So I've used my Olfa-cutter to put a groove there, and highlighted with a gel-pen.

05-wing-folds.jpg

Then attached the lower wings, and painted where my spraying might not reach.

06-lower-wings.jpg

• Like 8

I'm going to stray slightly from total accuracy.  I've not really found exactly what I want to build - yet.

I've found Swordfish IIs in white, and with stripes.

Additionally preserved Swordfish III  NF389, which I saw during the D-Day 50th anniversary event at Portsmouth - but without the radar.

Aerosol white applied today, and setting the base for D-Day stripes 

10-white.jpg

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Ned said:

Swordfish being used on D-Day sounds incredulous. What did they do? I like them even more than before.

Guarded approaches to the Channel crossing zone.  Preventing interference by E-boats or U-boats.

• Like 3

Thus is looking lovely I remember building the Matchbox kit a few years ago now. It built up nicely and added a base and gave it to my Dad.  He was on HMS Centaur and they used this for filming of Sink the Bismark where two (I think) came aboard for the filming.

Got a very small pic of one.

Great work on this. 

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don’t worry about the thought this Swordfish was serving as late as D-Day, for a moment there and looking at that masking photo I thought we’d jumped through to the Suez Crisis of 1956! Now that’s an incredible job to get from base kit to completion in well under a week, to do it all with a rigged bi-plane just doubles this cracking effort. Excellent job Tim. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Haha 2

Well done for daring to tackle a Swordfish. Not for the faint-hearted, especially if rigging is required as well!!!

You did a lightning fast job, and it looks great.

Congrats.

JR

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...