Takom 1/16th Panzer 1 Ausf B Build Log

Hello All,

Another update, progress has been dramatically slowed by my recent Coronavirus infection but picked up again the last couple of days. 

uw43Ucw.jpg

qk8WYku.jpg

0kMLR4D.jpg

l9fHSd2.jpg

As you can see only 2/4 vision ports will be open in the turret

cFZP4T4.jpg

CYyyDLB.jpg

Some further details added to the interior

o7kZsHS.jpg

u94jq14.jpg

SVfa9fx.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 11

You have a fine Panzer I collection. I have a few, but it's a "collection in being" as they're all unmade other than a very dusty Dragon Ausf.A from years ago. I really must get on and start one of them (it has to be the trainer tank first).

I've just read your build thread and I'm already searching for a Befehlswagen, it's probably for the best that I can't find one :)

Enjoying your 1/16th work, your level of detail is daunting, I don't think I'd ever get beyond planning something like this.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2022 at 13:16, Ned said:

You have a fine Panzer I collection. I have a few, but it's a "collection in being" as they're all unmade other than a very dusty Dragon Ausf.A from years ago. I really must get on and start one of them (it has to be the trainer tank first).

I've just read your build thread and I'm already searching for a Befehlswagen, it's probably for the best that I can't find one :)

Enjoying your 1/16th work, your level of detail is daunting, I don't think I'd ever get beyond planning something like this.

Thank you for your comments. The Befehlswagen I build was a Dragon kit and I think that I purchased it about 10 years ago but hopefully they are still available

EDIT - Did a search for the kit and your right, they seem very scarce 

Edited by Jack Klugman

On 5/15/2022 at 12:02 AM, Maddoxx77 said:

Man, you put in the work! I'll follow along. Lot's to learn here.

Seconded! 

I have a Panzer 1 from Hobby Boss (ex Tristar) in 1/35. I want to make it with a visible interior, so I will use your build as a reference.

Vytautas

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Sorry that its been a few weeks since my last update, recovering from Coronavirus had killed all momentum on the scheme. So I have been priming lots of the subassemblies looking for flaws and correcting where the resin snapped off

pAITCcX.jpg

lA3UZ8a.jpg

The transmission came out quite well

H37Prfj.jpg

So did the repairs to the damaged ammo racks

pQofILV.jpg

Hoppers for the MG13's look ok now I corrected them and added details

3exbGSs.jpg

As does the radio and MP40

vCOSNXN.jpg

I ended up making a spare MG13 barrel as well. I will be installing the best looking ones

cOuXoBk.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Ok I have been finalising several hull and turret components prior to painting and putting a coat of red primer on to identity flaws in the surface. 

This is the tank as it looks now 

cMwhbhj.jpg

The turret, the grey fur was not my fault

Wkbcw1B.jpg

it was this monsters fault, my new kitten (Katsu)

hYXnRk9.jpg

rNKiLLf.jpg

WDZlhh3.jpg

oaNEF6o.jpg

xV4cUxP.jpg

xAC1Lzl.jpg

PU9Llrb.jpg

evaF90o.jpg

ekxl27O.jpg

I now have to establish a build order as several transmission components need to be added when the transmission is in place. Also no section of the tank will be hull red, these pre war tanks were gray and white 

Thanks for looking

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Jack Klugman said:

This is the tank as it looks now 

It looks fantastic, the model looks very cool sporting primer red and grey.

And Katsu is adorable ;)

• Like 1

Aw, I want a cat, but my mean wife won't let me have one. She wants a stupid dog instead.

Lovely work Jack. Shame to paint over that red oxide, it looks finished.

Edited by Ned
  • Like 1

Just reading through this thread and there is some absolutely fabulous work been done. It's made me realise just how much detail there is in this scale. I'll have to bear that in mind when I make a start on my 1/16th Stuart. Nice work.

John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Rather a lot of progress and the lower hull has moved on and is partly completed. 

The Transmission is complete:

3jkMOdZ.jpg

along with the battery box

mCfwzjJ.jpg

the guns monocular sight

KRgKKif.jpg

An interrupting Katsu

Hqf6AvL.jpg

Weapons

VQU2AU8.jpg

And interior

2zH0idu.jpg

yFo9fYE.jpg

Next post will be of the lower hull completed 

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

Hello All, 

I was rather disappointed with the images I posted yesterday so here are more of an almost completed lower hull

I have made the interior destressed, this will be a tank at the end of the Battle of France so rather tired 

w6Z1aJe.jpg

FyJ1JFi.jpg

kYg2tei.jpg?1

t7U0BEc.jpg

Htva579.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 7

Hello All,

In other news Takom are bringing out two further Panzer 1 Ausf B variants 

a) The one of a kind Panzer 1b with a Stug III Gun mounted on it. I wonder what interior Takom will supply as you will be able to see right into the super structure, there is no way that I am going to build another AFV interior to fit into it. !

dgNGVEj.jpg

The only picture of the presumably only tank converted with a Stug III gun taken after the Battle of Berlin. The life expectancy of the crew must have been measured in minutes. 

yN9rdQF.png

b) The command Panzer 1b

RgBUSJA.jpg

They have to produce the PanzerJager 1 next !

Thanks for looking

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

What you have done to it so far is looking very good Jack. At least with this scale there shouldn't be any need to fork out for A/M items.

John.

Thanks !

So I looked up a 2011 vintage Dragon Kit of the Panzerjager 1b 75mm and looked up the way that they believed the gun was mounted within the Panzer 1b chassis

25EoaWO.jpg

a2ryZG1.png

Logically this would suggest that Takom would be obliged to offer some kind of interior but one I guess missing a lot of detail. 

The dragon Kit interior is also quite basic and inaccurate even in 1/35th 

• Like 3

Your interior is looking great, the way the bits are different colours but somehow blend together - I just don't know how to do that.

I've been determined to stick with 1/35, but if enough 1/16 small tanks come out then I may need to reconsider. If Takom decide to do the s.IG.33 / Panzer I then I will not be able to resist...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ned said:

Your interior is looking great, the way the bits are different colours but somehow blend together - I just don't know how to do that.

I've been determined to stick with 1/35, but if enough 1/16 small tanks come out then I may need to reconsider. If Takom decide to do the s.IG.33 / Panzer I then I will not be able to resist...

Thanks for the comment. I start off with a layer of tamyia XF80 and then use enamel washes in moderation, no particular skill needed. Use the enamels without XF80 and you risk the acrylic paint lifting off

Edited by Jack Klugman

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Rather photo heavy update, as you can tell I have been cracking on with painting. 

I am annoyed that I had to shell out £17 for decals from AFV because evidently a kit that costs £125 does not come with decals for the instrument cluster - and that's excluding the cost of the turret. 

The coins in the back are for weight distribution, this tank is very heavy at the front with nothing in the back.  

WSnApya.jpg

8knBiq4.jpg

yP0MASr.jpg

wQgqnnE.jpg

OOTQtN6.jpg?1

T18h6Yk.jpg

krXZGD4.jpg

j9nzTQn.jpg

pPaqp36.jpg

Dsg2Dcl.jpg

f3DBL2f.jpg?1

mf2GZxs.jpg