Takom 1/16th Panzer 1 Ausf B Build Log

Hello All,

Santa has just been and left a load of parts for me to super detail a Takom 1/16th Panzer 1 Ausf B kit, so I have started this thread to document my progress especially while I am waiting for weathering supplies to arrive for me to complete my Trumpeter 1/16th Jagdtiger. The objective of this build is to create a completely accurate Panzer 1 Ausf B replica. 

fu11sOq.jpg

A full update will be provided for the Jagdtiger once completed. 

These are the parts that I have so far, I also have some Aber machine gun barrels (not shown)

EyZhjOr.jpg

I have quite a bit of experience with 1/35th Panzer 1's

jER08Or.jpg

Training Panzer 1

sCDl7kX.jpg

RiFQf0J.jpg

Flakpanzer 1

dPrt7ym.jpg

fl34UGK.jpg

j36XHHD.jpg

Command Panzer 1

j9pUsWl.jpg

DuigB7K.jpg

Panzerjager 1

95YrYzQ.jpg

o7MmcC4.jpg

Panzer 1 Ausf A - (A full build log of this exists on Armourama https://archive.armorama.com/forums/163760/index.htm ) 

VJrzCkM.jpg

Cx5zzsU.jpg

I also have a genuine Panzer 1 track and 2x MG13 magazines. 

xByPXsI.jpg

gSJyfxG.jpg

Thanks for looking

Steven

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 20

Hello All,

So I have spent a few hours working with the AFV modeler hull parts. Its the case of the good, the bad and the ugly.  This is the kit as it comes out over the box - pay attention to how it is 3D printed. Although mostly good detailing the plastic is very very brittle and will easily snap off as you are trying to separate it no matter how careful you are. 

This is not my first experience with AFV modeler parts, I used them extensively on my Jadgtiger  build so I was expecting some drama separating the parts

Before:

aQm0SYr.jpg

After:

04GKR4x.jpg

The good - This is the gearbox, its well cast but missing loads of details that I will have to add 

avI3VXB.jpg

The Bad - This is the drivers pedals, its shockingly bad and ABER in 1/35th do a much superior job. This is unusable for this project for reasons that will become very clear. This is unacceptable in a kit this expensive. This will go into the trash

EW6FbxU.jpg

OsMApmQ.jpg

The ugly - the damage to the kit part after I removed it from the printing sprue, this is almost inevitable because of the way it was printed. This will have to be fixed. This is not the only part to be damaged, thankfully nothing is damaged seriously or cannot be replaced by an ABER metal set. 

Oh I also have some missing parts, the battery is missing in its place I have two storage boxes, as the battery is out of scale and inaccurate I was going to replace them both anyway but its very annoying. 

cycveDa.jpg

Thanks for looking

S

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 7

Hello All,

The Panzer 1 Ausf B used a more powerful engine than the Ausf A which necessitated a change to the vehicles transmission. The FG35 in the Ausf A was replaced by the FG31 in the Ausf B. Both were made by ZF Friedrichshafen. There are external differences between the two units.  

Within the Panzer 1 the clutch, transmission and the steering unit are bolted together to form a single unit with the clutch and steering unit being identical for both the A and the B as illustrated below. 

QlJs9M0.jpg 

AFV modeller seem to have combined features of the FG31 and FG35 within their transmission and the steering unit is simplified and inaccurate. This same unit is used for both their Ausf A and B kits (which it really should not be). Below is the transmission as it is now, the next time you see it it will be significantly improved:

U7Q4hha.jpg

AR1O4os.jpg

9LjxBcN.jpg

Compare the above to the actual thing - the destroyed transmission is clearly a FG31 used on the Ausf B

tqBy20N.jpg

Qjb63FW.jpg

M0oK6Dh.jpg

Thanks for looking

S

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 10

Even without improvements, the transmission looks good.

I look forward to seeing an improved version. Going to do a fan for steering brakes blocks cooling?

Vytautas

P.S. I see you have made signal flags in the Pz.I Ausf.A tank. Maybe you have information on what they looked like? I ask because I’ve started making the same Hobby Boss (Tristar) kit with a well-visible interior.

1 hour ago, vytautas said:

Even without improvements, the transmission looks good.

I look forward to seeing an improved version. Going to do a fan for steering brakes blocks cooling?

Vytautas

P.S. I see you have made signal flags in the Pz.I Ausf.A tank. Maybe you have information on what they looked like? I ask because I’ve started making the same Hobby Boss (Tristar) kit with a well-visible interior.

I think that its unacceptable that ABER did a better job in 1/35th than AFV modeller did in 1/16th with the transmission and all the steering connections. There are major components simplified, missing or the wrong shape. Yes I will be adding a cooling fan, with what I have planned for the model I could not get away with not adding one. 

I will be cutting out the inspection plate so that you can look at the steering unit, just like I did here

6RXLm89.jpg

I have made two of the ABER superdetail kits for the Panzer 1 and they were both excellent. 

I came across a website years ago that had german recognition flags all listed. I have no idea if its still around. Yep I will be adding them to this model and making the colours up if needed.   

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

A quick update on the progress of the build, the transmission is getting there, most of the big modifications have been completed and I will show you what I have done with a before and after when its completed. 

l4w8EqM.jpg

lweIHVY.jpg

Here is where the transmission mounts to the front of the hull

BEpAUlf.jpg

There is still quite a bit left to do but the transmission is about 90% there

Thanks for looking

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Jack Klugman said:

Thanks !

Do you have this set too ?

Yeap! Waited almost 2 years for it! But its here in the corner looking at me... But I'm swearing that I will not start more before finishing some more... :lalala:

Cheers

LM

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

So the FG31 transmission is virtually complete and as promised here are some before and after images. As you can see I have made substantial modifications to the stock model by AFV which is simplified and in some instances entirely the wrong shape. 

Additional minor clean up will be required but nothing too major

Next I will focus on scratch building the tanks battery, this was entirely missing from my kit and they provided two storage bins in its place.  

ieapG0C.jpg

38XZQFS.jpg

eQpjmOp.jpg

KsAj7rz.jpg

GIR9O72.jpg

oFwOdrb.jpg

azcmPcW.jpg

gOwGGp1.jpg

rdesOfr.jpg

ktfk2Mz.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 15

Seeing the gearbox, only one thought comes to mind - WOW!

But from an engineering point of view, I think there is one inaccuracy. Logically, the brakes ventilation pipes should connect to the center of the centrifugal fan, opposite the electric motor. In a centrifugal fan, air enters the center of the drum and is blown out tangentially through a channel in the side of the drum. 
But this is only a logical conclusion, I could not find a photo of this part. In any case, it's probably too late to change anything now.

Vytautas

2 hours ago, vytautas said:

Seeing the gearbox, only one thought comes to mind - WOW!

But from an engineering point of view, I think there is one inaccuracy. Logically, the brakes ventilation pipes should connect to the center of the centrifugal fan, opposite the electric motor. In a centrifugal fan, air enters the center of the drum and is blown out tangentially through a channel in the side of the drum. 
But this is only a logical conclusion, I could not find a photo of this part. In any case, it's probably too late to change anything now.

Vytautas

Firstly thank you everyone for the kind comments. As I was taking the pics I noticed some rough areas that needed some improvements but its 99% there. 

With reference to the comment on the centrifugal fan you might very well be right but I used the primary and secondary sources I had. I have no sources that have the fan in place. 

Here is the ABER instruction sheet for their outstanding Panzer 1 interior set - this is basically what I copied for this build

vkSDob0.png

Secondly this Panzer 1 pic (I think from a Panzer 1 in a Spanish Museum)

eElUftQ.jpg

as well as this link from a newly restored Panzer 1

yZ9NvVc.png

Not an efficient set up I grant you but this is how they set them up (apparently and as far as I can tell)

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 5

Hello All,

So the next step is the starter battery, as noted this was entirely missing from my AFV Panzer 1 B kit

AUM36pm.jpg

4Yvtzx4.jpg

Next is making something useful out of this 

Mym3whU.jpg

hNmgE5I.jpg

I was going to reproduce it in metal but finding something in the right scale has proved challenging it needs to look like this 

78bQJT5.png

Wish me luck

Thanks for looking

• Like 10

Hello All, 

A quick update, I have been working on the drivers pedals, its almost there

uZO3Wxy.jpg

and I jumped ahead slightly to work on the front of the hull and he transmission inspection plate

Before:

W3e68w7.jpg

after

jRzj2G2.jpg

L7HaHxC.jpg

yCUvBcC.jpg

Nq0wQ8p.jpg

Thanks for Looking

• Like 10

Hello All,

So some progress is slowly being made, I have finalised the drivers pedals and glued them in place, they arn't quite ready yet and there is some minor detail work still to do. 

ZIoGz5Q.jpg

I have added some extra detail to the front armour including the instrument cluster

hBXyC5m.jpg

XD5aYRG.jpg

Starting to look similar

ULJOZJ4.png

I was quite worried about the instrument cluster being completely inaccurate but look at the above period photo, there seems to have been two types. What really annoys me is that no instrument decals are provided, you are left to source your own perhaps they helpfully point out by purchasing their  £17.50 Panzer 4 set and seeing what you can make fit. For the price of this kit I am seriously not impressed. 

Yco4m17.jpg

This is from the Panzer 1 at Munster - if you look to the right of the instrument cluster you can see the gearbox fan - my hunch was correct in how it worked !

L4MiSSh.png

Next up is this joke of a storage bin, Aber in 1/35th did a much better job. Honestly its a hunk of resin in the completely wrong shape. I guess by AFV modeler mini feature is now gone (lol

mZ7GN95.jpg 

More scratch building in my future

Thanks

S

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 9

Hello All,

Thank you all for the comments and likes, ok quick update I have finished the storage box and installed it into the hull. Again the ABER 1/35th kit is in front. I have this left over from my training Panzer 1 kit. 

You can make your mind up about the accuracy of the AFV hunk of resin - and I have two in my kit as they managed to forget to give me a battery (it was also small and inaccurate). Off to the landfill they go. 

14aujdF.jpg

With the commanders binoculars holder already installed. Oh I drilled the holes.   

5biVxHy.jpg

and it fits !

c3u5Wh6.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by Jack Klugman
  • Like 8