GWH 1/48 Su-27 "Flanker B" heavy fighter building record

haneto

Hi guys

Long time no staring an in-progress thread since I tasted 6 1/700 ship models this year, but finally I'm back to aircraft modelling at the year end.

Which one should I restart with? Undoutly, my favorite aircraft, vanila Flanker tooled by GWH which I also participated in R&D work.

It's quite unfortunately to know the kits have not recieved in your local market yet due to pandemic, after released for almost 1 year in China mainland.

Hope my built will give you some adea about how this kit builds like, not only how it looks like in box.

The overall design concept of this kit is take the best balance between proper detail level and easy-building.

We omitted some invisible details to save your time and effort, to ensure you can finish the kit in a short time period and enjoy the final result as well.

It is based on our experience as modeller, which we would even think how to make the paint job easier when we decide part breaking down method.

Is it a less detailed kit than other Flanker?

Or it is a kit offering you less stress but more fun, to archive the enough detail you need to enjoy after finishing?

It's up to you. 😉 

I have summarized the building progress and made a video for it.

Watch it on Youtube if you are interested:

【4K】Sukhoi Su-27 "Flanker-B" heavy fighter 1/48 GWH complete building record (7 months into 1 hour!)

First, let's start with the "dirty" part of the built.

001.jpg

002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg

Edited by haneto
  • Like 4

Now here comes the colour recipe for small parts.

I painted them by airbrush one by one, and glued them after washing.

You can also add more weathering after assembling.

I believe this is the best way to save time and effort, also to assure the best outcome/result!

047.jpg
048.jpg
OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The cockpit area is finished.

Check out how everything looks like, out of box!

First, the K-36DM ejection seat.

068.jpg
069.jpg
070.jpg
071.jpg
072.jpg
073.jpg

The overall looking of the "bathtube".

074.jpg

078.jpg
075.jpg
077.jpg
079.jpg
080.jpg
080.jpg

Edited by haneto
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Unfortuantely lots of details are invisible after you install the "bathtube" into the fuselage.

That's why I am not a big fan of some over engineered model kits——just don't want to waste my precious time and energy on those so called "details"...

081.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

084.jpg

085.jpg

The inner side of both windshield and canopy.

086.jpg

I always like to switch the canopy from open to close time by time, so test fit the canopy closing status is very important.
087.jpg

So that's all for now, so far so good.

Stay tuned!

Edited by haneto
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 6:51 AM, sammy da fish said:

Thanks for in detail build, that will be a great help as the normal GWH instructions are the kits Achilles heal with such a superb kit.

sammy

I have to agree with you.

The real background is that they do not have enough 2D designers so they have to outsource the instruction sheet design to 3rd party, which limited the final outcome.

On 1/2/2022 at 8:10 AM, drake122 said:

Brush painting canopy tint like that? How do you prevent brush marks and paint pooling? 😱

On 1/2/2022 at 5:54 PM, paulsbrown said:

Adding to drake122's question - did you also dip the tinted front canopy in Pledge?

Great tutorial as always.

Nope, I brush paint the windshield inner side, by clear yellow+clear brown.

Then before it dries, I used tissue to absorb the liquid, as much as it can.

So that the brush painted inner side surface will be very smooth.

The reason I used lacquar paint is that it will not have chemical effect with Pledge, which may have with acryl or enamel paint.

Have a try!

Hi guys

Sorry for the silence for a while.

A bit busy with my daily job at the year beginning, but still try to find some spare time (1-2 hours before sleeping every night) to catch up.

Next week we will have 1 week national holidays as of Lunar New Year, hopefully I can try to finish it by then!

So the built went on.

Engine intake and trunk.

• Like 3

Now the Flanker is sitting by herself!

The D&W 3D print landing gears, thanks to the super strong engineering material and stainless rods inside, are more than strong to take all the weight from this beast!

139.jpg

140.jpg

141.jpg

142.jpg

Thanks to the great engineering of the mold cutting, the kit gear bay cover parts can be used to "mask" the gear bays.

143.jpg

144.jpg

145.jpg

To be continued……

Stay tuned!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We are in the 3rd day of our Chinese luna new year holidays but I'm processing slowly, since I have a lot of family service to do, for my wife, daughter and all the relationships who keep on visiting our home. 

Well, at least, the prime is done.

I cannot believe if anyone who dislike prime!? Especially the #1500 surfacer——It's so silk-like smoothy and honest: always tell you all the great details on the surface, as well as the flaws you made.

146.jpg
147.jpg

148.jpg

149.jpg

150.jpg

151.jpg

152.jpg

153.jpg

154.jpg

155.jpg

156.jpg

157.jpg

158.jpg

159.jpg

Now we are talking: the real fun, painting, begins!

Stay tuned!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 12:22 PM, haneto said:

The incredible Detail & Wonder Studio 3D print landing gears!
113.jpg
110.jpg
111.jpg

112.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg
121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

On 1/23/2022 at 12:22 PM, haneto said:

The incredible Detail & Wonder Studio 3D print landing gears!
113.jpg
110.jpg
111.jpg

112.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg
121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

Those undercarriage legs are simply stunning. I wish they were readily available in Europe.

Duncan B

On 2/2/2022 at 6:50 AM, haneto said:

We are in the 3rd day of our Chinese luna new year holidays but I'm processing slowly, since I have a lot of family service to do, for my wife, daughter and all the relationships who keep on visiting our home. 

Well, at least, the prime is done.

I cannot believe if anyone who dislike prime!? Especially the #1500 surfacer——It's so silk-like smoothy and honest: always tell you all the great details on the surface, as well as the flaws you made.

146.jpg
147.jpg

148.jpg

149.jpg

150.jpg

151.jpg

152.jpg

153.jpg

154.jpg

155.jpg

156.jpg

157.jpg

158.jpg

159.jpg

Now we are talking: the real fun, painting, begins!

Stay tuned!

Did you enhance the rivet detail before priming or is the surface detail slightly deeper than on the original Su-35S kit? (the forward fuselage panel lines look like they are better than on the original Su-35S kit anyway). It took me a long few evenings redoing all the rivets on the 35 kit.

Great work as ever Yufei. Thanks for posting such an in depth "work in progress", it really helps those of us who want to build these kits to the best of our abilities.

Duncan B

3 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Did you enhance the rivet detail before priming or is the surface detail slightly deeper than on the original Su-35S kit? (the forward fuselage panel lines look like they are better than on the original Su-35S kit anyway). It took me a long few evenings redoing all the rivets on the 35 kit.

Great work as ever Yufei. Thanks for posting such an in depth "work in progress", it really helps those of us who want to build these kits to the best of our abilities.

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan!

I only drilled some rivets by 0.2mm drills, on some round/unflat surface where rivets are not round enough.

I believe this is the limitation of mold injection direction(vertical), so it appears on all kits which you need to handle a little.

Rivets on flat surface are totally fine, deeper than those on Su-35 kits actually.

Regarding the D&W landing gears, they are now available on Hobbyeasy site(Hong Kong) and the48ers site, where I think is easier to purchase than buying from China directly.

Hope it helps!

Yufei

• Thanks 1

What a good looking kit, and your expert skills really bring out the best. The landing gear is just stunning, I hope there are more to come from this manufacturer. Is this your own work? Amazing job!