A Centurion for Christmas (AFV Club Centurion Mk 5)*** Finished***

SimonL

56 minutes ago, echen said:

Saves time and paint. 😀

Yep 😁

28 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Really coming along nicely now. The wash around the wheels looks great too btw.

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks! 

Well got a little involved glueing all the little grab handles on the rear engine deck and then focussing on all the bits and pieces on the turret I forgot to take photos of progress. While I waited for the first coat of olive drab to dry on the main hull, I sorted out the mantlet cover. I needed to sand back the plastic on mantlet itself to be able to fit the cover without too much stretching. it looks ugly, but can’t be seen so isn’t a problem. 

resized_3d01a57e-9c2d-40eb-a275-8cd472fe

The soft vinyl mantlet cover fitted easily over this. I found it easier to “thread” the gun barrel through the cover and fix that in place and then using CA glue sorted the mantlet cover, starting from the top and then doing the sides.

While that was curing I sorted the minimal number of decals on the main hull, just using a bit of floor polish to gloss the areas where the decals would be.

resized_3d0cf5a0-06ae-47ec-b53b-00edb274

A couple of coats of olive drab on the turret and here is where I am at this evening.

resized_cd6dd97f-c41c-45a7-8445-3c5407a0

resized_38bf75a0-1a3d-4946-af02-924bccbf

The exhausts dropped into place easily. I have them a coat of heavily thinned MIG Ammo Old Rust. I’ve seen some examples of models with the covers over the exhausts being rusty as well, but I am going to assume that this is an example of a recently painted tank and so I will leave the exhaust covers in OD.

Not far to go - just some detail painting and perhaps a thin wash to highlight the detail. Don’t want to make it too grubby.

• Like 8

Well a slight cockup - although in my defence I was following the instructions. The instructions have you cut the string for the tow cables in lengths of 9 cm - which is about maybe a centimetre too short. I fitted them as best I can (without breaking anything, which is a surprise)

resized_80dcdc5b-7ddf-4432-8f72-d5b631be

I’ve also painted the mantlet cover flat black, and then dry brushed with some Tamiya XF69 NATO Black. The searchlight was easy to fit, just needed to drill a hole in the mantlet cover. I secured it in place with some CA glue. The remaining decals went on with no fuss.

All that was left was to attach the side skirts, which took no time at all. I then applied a thin wash of a 50:50 mix of Army Painter Dark and Soft Tone diluted with water. The aim was not to make it too dirty. I then brushed over a coat of floor polish with some Tamiya XF21 Flat Base. This was something I experimented with awhile

ago, and it gives a nice satin sheen, as I wasn’t wanting it to be dead flat. Once that was dry, a bit of dilute wash of Italeri Acryl Dark Earth and Sand on bottom of the skirts and some aerials from stretched sprue and I am done! I’ve left the searchlight glossy as it appears that way in the photos I have found on the internet.

resized_375f07b2-8dc3-4b00-beca-90644ae3

resized_f00d6120-b2e5-4504-9ba2-40c38d45

All in all a really fun build. I made a few mistakes, but I will know for next time. And there will be a next time - thinking maybe a Mk 3 or an Australian Mk 5…

Thanks for following along.

• Like 13

• SimonL changed the title to A Centurion for Christmas (AFV Club Centurion Mk 5)*** Finished***
On 1/16/2022 at 1:11 AM, simmerit said:

Nice one!

Thanks! High praise indeed - I’ve been following your current build and I am frankly in awe of your detailing skills.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:39 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Simon. Great to see this one finished too. Fantastic job!! Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

thanks! It was great fun.