A Centurion for Christmas (AFV Club Centurion Mk 5)*** Finished***

SimonL

We are having a bit of a heat wave here in Perth in Western Australia, so just too hot to do any work on my almost complete Airfix M3 Grant. Thought I would make a start taking a look at my Christmas present from my son.

resized_92f4552d-891d-4254-a780-38bfa194

It’s a re-boxing of the previously released Mk 5, an overview of which can be found here:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/afv/kit_afv_35122.shtml

However there are slight modifications. There is no turned aluminium main gun, but there is the mantlet cover, in a soft vinyl type plastic.

7934dbb7-5cd3-4f5e-9842-240ea8d4cf0f.jpe

Another difference is that the road wheels are provided in hard polystyrene and vinyl.

86d06c38-3fb2-4b28-be8a-698a2851532c.jpe

e938e361-a6b3-4ef4-afa7-3f1ce22b8ccf.jpe

I know which ones I’ll be using- the hard ones. Much easier to handle.

At the bottom of the box is a rather nice print of the tank on the box top.

resized_d635f9ae-d25c-4542-827b-dfc53ebd

The included tracks are vinyl, however while visiting the local shop for their Boxing Day sale I picked up these quick assembly link and length tracks.

resized_556f105f-8af9-4aab-ac1a-924178d9

They appear to be a very new release (the box lid says 2021, and I can’t find any online reviews).

resized_5dc7863c-c3ea-4a7b-929b-cd587a57

resized_cf132c9b-4a74-478a-955d-c8e72026

They look rather nice, hopefully they will be straightforward to use.

The kit has several different options from C Squadron, 4 RTR stationed in Berlin in 1960 to 1963 (about the time my Dad was first serving in Germany). The instructions are very specific that the overall colour was olive drab, which surprised me as I assumed it would be deep bronze green. A bit of searching around and I found a few mentions that they were painted OD, with the mantlet cover being painted black. The few photos I could find seemed to confirm this.

This is going to be an interesting challenge!

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 15

• SimonL changed the title to A Centurion for Christmas (AFV Club Centurion Mk 5)

Made a start on this on New Year’s Eve, and got a bit too involved to post photos.

The first step was making the bogies - which was a bit fiddly but they worked out ok. The wheels were a nice tight fit with the outer tyre. 

resized_778640d6-159b-446e-a01d-463631fe

Unfortunately each and every hub cap had a sink mark, which I dealt with using a dab of Mr Surfacer 500. The bogies were easily fitted to the lower hull.

resized_a44a6360-3c67-455b-9c51-ac0270f2

There is a bit of leap now, as there were lots of little bits (some very small) for the rear part of the hull. I managed to lose the tow hook to the carpet monster and so needed to make a new one from scrap plastic.

Once the rear of the hull was glued on I decided now would be a good time to paint the lower part and the wheels. I have a limited amount of Tamiya XF62 (with a dash of Tamiya XF49) which I am going to use for the olive drab, so I decided to go with a brushed on “primer” coat of Tamiya XF61, which I have a few pots of. This one was a new one - and doesn’t actually look the same dark green as usual. QC issues? Anyway, it will be fine as a preliminary coat. I also took the opportunity to paint the various engine “bits” that will be seen through various grills and the tracks with Tamiya XF84 Dark Iron

resized_b2a953a8-c398-4d63-b8fe-4f1e6a1f

Just a quick peek at the rear and that’s it for the day.

resized_356386e6-7249-4c83-b370-9375f136

• Like 10

'Morning Simon. Nice work so far. I've got the same kit, which I'm turning into a Mk.lll. In fact, I have two, because the first one had a warped lower hull, and wouldn't sit flat once the wheel were on. Hope yours doesn't have the same problem.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks John. Checked it with the wheels and all looks good.

Progress today. First the engine bit (for want of a better word), that I painted dark iron yesterday, I treated to a wash with Army Painter Dark Tone, and a light dry brushing with XF56 Metallic Grey. This slotted then neatly under the engine deck grill.

resized_dd7ed481-2fa2-4e0a-9c44-90c89a0f

resized_47f7cf3e-88be-4579-ac69-1018d213

Then it was time to glue the decks in. A bit of fettling was needed to get these to fit neatly. I found it easier to ignore the instructions and attach the two parts of the engine deck before I fitted it to the hull. Some tape was needed to keep it all in place while the cement cured.

resized_51f4aca4-ab4a-40f4-a877-599a0bc8

I then constructed the stowage boxes and attached them the fenders (?) before they fitted neatly to the hull. I also finished painting the wheels and the underside with olive drab.

resized_f55b63db-f392-427d-a7f1-0a072254

resized_51b9c31d-610c-40bf-aebd-98432ec0

• Like 8

Nice progress Simon, welcome to the Centurion club, there are a few of us building Cents at the moment. 

Just one thing I've noticed on your build is that you have got the rear hull plate in the wrong position. The plate sits in slightly from the end of the sides so that there is no gap between itself and the radiator vents.

Ns0mPAQ.jpg

It should took like more this.

YnaTRjKl.jpg

iHWCARul.jpg

Hopefully it's not too late to alter it.

12 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I've got the same kit, which I'm turning into a Mk.lll.

I presume that you're aware that AFV do have a Mk.3 kit John, hopefully with the correct turret roof etc.

Wayne

9 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

I presume that you're aware that AFV do have a Mk.3 kit John, hopefully with the correct turret roof etc.

Wayne

Hi Wayne, and a Happy New Year to you. Unfortunately, when I first started this build, which must be around 10 years ago, AFV didn't do a Mk.lll, so one of the first purchases that I made for the build was the Mk.lll turret from Lionmarc. It' quite good, and includes the mantlet cover.

John.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Nice progress Simon, welcome to the Centurion club, there are a few of us building Cents at the moment. 

I'll second that!

Interesting to see how your Mk5 comes along, I've one stashed whilst working on the Amusing Hobby Shot Kal presently.

You're making great progress, looking at what you've achieved so far the chances are you'll be done well before me too!

Good luck

Darryl 

Thanks Wayne, must be still used to making aircraft and assuming all joints are smooth 🤣. It’s sort of permanently fixed in now, so instead I can fill that gap:

resized_7633b137-87a2-4d9c-96e5-3109f7af

I will then use some plastic strip to build up those edges. Not perfect, but will hide the cockup.

Daryl. Thanks -  I am building to a deadline. I have two more weeks of leave!

• Like 4

Progress yesterday- a bit of a tedious session painting the rubber tyres on the road wheels - for which I used Tamiya XF-85 Rubber Black. Only some

minor touch ups needed. I also put together the exhausts, which I think I will paint first and then add later once the main colour scheme is on. Along the same lines I’ve started to paint the various pioneer tools. For the wooden bits thought I would try something different. Usually I just use a reddish brown - in this case XF-68 NATO Brown. This time though I painted a coat of X-26 Clear Orange (not avoiding brush strokes) over that. Just in camera shot are the adjustments I made to the rear of the hull to fix my earlier cockup.

resized_168c15f3-c598-47c3-a2ec-c1e4d3a8

In between painting the wheels I also put the turret together. Just a dry fit of the main armament and mantlet cover. A bit of seam line, but most will be covered by the side panniers, so only a little to fix up. In relation to the mantlet cover, anyone had experience with these? Would CA be the way to go? Also, should I prime before attaching to the turret?

resized_fa58d51c-31be-4d64-9f99-5eadcdd7

As for the panniers - I am pretty certain they shouldn’t be that large a gap. I will need to sand the positioning pins down a bit I think.

resized_eeb43c1f-32ee-46ec-a582-9349c340

• Like 4

Another rather hot day today, so after taking the Christmas decorations down (it being Twelfth Night), I spent most of the day lounging around with a cold drink in hand listening to the Test Match from Sydney. I did manage to finish painting the tools. The metallic parts were painted in XF56 Metallic Grey, a wash of a 50:50 mix of Army Painter Dark and Soft Tone and finally a coat of Italeri Acryl Flat Coat. Just some light dry brushing with olive drab on the relevant bits and these will be done. Rather happy with how they have turned out.

resized_b567b0ac-f004-4e62-9f6e-3b5e24b7

• Like 3

Hi, I'd have thought CA would be the way to go witht the cover.

I believe you do want a degree of stand off for the turret bins but as you say the gap does a little too pronounced, that said I'm no expert...

Atb

Darryl 

13 hours ago, SimonL said:

As for the panniers - I am pretty certain they shouldn’t be that large a gap. I will need to sand the positioning pins down a bit I think.

That could be about right Simon. This photo is of a Shot Kal, and there's quite a gap.

99d2a6b1-58c7-4bd5-b0d8-dd6e49de7fe8.jpg

HTH's.

John.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice John - so no sanding required!

Another  hot day today. I focused on starting the weathering process on the wheels and underside. First a wash with diluted 50:50 mix of Army Painter Dark and Soft Tone

resized_a0be947b-c11d-4d8c-9b86-37a7c324

This was then followed up by a wash with heavily diluted Italeri Acryl Dark Earth with a dash of Flat Sand. I am aiming for a slightly used, dusty look, as I assume these peacetime Centurions were kept pretty clean (the photos I have seen would seem to confirm this).

resized_f681f93c-ee5e-4c58-941c-c7190a12

And then I just push fitted the wheels onto their axles. 

resized_bba881e3-4fc7-4614-a1ac-035b8d74

Starting to look like a tank!

resized_9797d18e-425c-47b3-ace5-1961e410

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 6

@Alpha Juliet is that the 1:35 or 1:25 scale one?

Onto the two tasks I had been a bit nervous about - the tracks and photoetch.

First the tracks. I gave them a wash with the Army Painter mix and the Italeri Acryl “dust” as I did for the wheels.

resized_b7237e40-b7a3-4355-b3fe-70060786

The fenders were a bit loose at the front so I added a little bit of plastic card as a stiffener on both sides.

resized_b2d72da4-a1a2-473e-8ece-ad9c877c

Once the washes were dry I fitted the tracks to the wheels, starting with the long run along the bottom of the wheels. I used Tamiya extra thin cement which gave me a fair amount of give to wriggle things into place. The paint was smudged here and there, but the base colour of the plastic just looks a bit rusty so that was fine. In the end it wasn’t as hard as I thought.

resized_df20a118-885a-4b3a-8b86-6645df7c

Next the photoetch - thankfully not too much of it. Didn’t botch it up too badly. If anything sorting the tow ropes was harder. Now I’m off to get the excess CA of my fingertips…

resized_736c9625-e16c-4210-97ba-fb42e39b

• Like 5