Airfix 1/72 Dakota as ZA947 Kwicherbichen BBMF

Hello All,

Here I have airfix's Dakota made up to look like the BBMF's Kwicherbichen. This was built for my friend who also happens to be her pilot, so had to make sure I got this one right, no pressure! 🤣

Built mainly out of the box but with the small engine air intakes used, the decals a mix from Italeri and airfix, Invasion stripes painted on, static wicks from electrical wire and lots of modern fitted aerials and lights scratch built from plasticard and sprue. Painted using Tamiya and Mr color in the main with enamel used for detail work.

Well onto the pictures, hope you enjoy.

Matt

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 50
  • Thanks 1

That's gorgeous!  So much careful attention to detail, and the finish looks great.  I hope you can snag a jumpseat ride on this one.  Didn't the RAF once have a one-pilot policy for these things?  The FE sat on the right.  Not anymore, I s'pose.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely job,..... I`m sure your mate will love it,....... wait until he asks you to build his day job cab next!!! Zvesda C-130J or Revell Grily/Atlas? I certainly think you have deserved a cabby at some point. 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

Wow, thank you all for your all praise!

It has been a fun build with the added benefit of an enjoyable research project to boot. Biggest bit is knowing she is going off to a good mate who will really love looking at his favorite kite when he isn't wowing us all at air shows in her.

On 12/27/2021 at 10:25 PM, Charlie Farley 47 said:

You’ve perfectly captured the character of the BBMF Dakota. A true testament to your attention to detail and modelling skill set. I’ve watched the build from the onset and it’s been a real pleasure. I can’t wait to ‘meet her in the flesh’. 

Sweet work!

Thanks Charlie, she is ready and waiting with a valid BF ready for you to take her off on a jaunt to her new landing ground 😀

On 12/28/2021 at 1:32 AM, tonyot said:

Lovely job,..... I`m sure your mate will love it,....... wait until he asks you to build his day job cab next!!! Zvesda C-130J or Revell Grily/Atlas? I certainly think you have deserved a cabby at some point. 

Cheers

Tony

He hasn't gone off to the darkside as of yet 😉 and I just so happen to have 5 of the Zvesda C130J's ready to go on the build pile. Just need to see if he can get it past OC domestic! Although I do spend most of my time getting the 1/1 scale Herc ready for him to take up 😀

On 12/28/2021 at 1:25 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That's gorgeous!  So much careful attention to detail, and the finish looks great.  I hope you can snag a jumpseat ride on this one.  Didn't the RAF once have a one-pilot policy for these things?  The FE sat on the right.  Not anymore, I s'pose.

Alex

There are two of the winged master race up front for BBMF flights, although I am surprised they can fit two pilot egos in that tiny cockpit 🤣 There goes my flight in one!

Thanks All

Matt

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Angell328 said:

Wow, thank you all for your all praise!

He hasn't gone off to the darkside as of yet 😉 and I just so happen to have 5 of the Zvesda C130J's ready to go on the build pile. Just need to see if he can get it past OC domestic! Although I do spend most of my time getting the 1/1 scale Herc ready for him to take up 😀

Matt

Glad to hear he hasn`t gone to the dark side yet Matt,....LOL,...... here`s hoping that you all get a reprieve for next year,........ as you can tell by my avatar pic,.... I was quite close to the old Herk myself too. Won`t go into detail for obvious reasons,...... but I can see a huge capability gap if the 2022 plans go ahead,...... especially for Airborne Forces. 

Keep up the brilliant work Matt,.... and the modelling! Zvesda have a short fuselage C.5 due this year,.... so some nice coloured tails at least! I would love to do the 206 Sqn C.4  with the tail artwork. 

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, tonyot said:

Glad to hear he hasn`t gone to the dark side yet Matt,....LOL,...... here`s hoping that you all get a reprieve for next year,........ as you can tell by my avatar pic,.... I was quite close to the old Herk myself too. Won`t go into detail for obvious reasons,...... but I can see a huge capability gap if the 2022 plans go ahead,...... especially for Airborne Forces. 

Keep up the brilliant work Matt,.... and the modelling! Zvesda have a short fuselage C.5 due this year,.... so some nice coloured tails at least! I would love to do the 206 Sqn C.4  with the tail artwork. 

I had noticed the Pegasus 😉 Been helping you mad lot jump out of servicable aircraft for 20 plus years now, still can't understand your fascination with it!!

I am playing around with a K model and a J at them moment, making a Mk3 and a Mk5 by mixing and matching fuselages. The 47 Sqn tail is a must build, together with probably XV303. So many favorite frames to make, if I am not careful I will end up with a bigger fleet than Brize!!

Matt

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Natter said:

So that's why you neded to research her so well and get the details correct. As always, it's a belter Matt.

Yep, had to make sure this one was super spot on!

Cheers chap, lets see what the next build will be!

Matt

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Angell328 said:

I had noticed the Pegasus 😉 Been helping you mad lot jump out of servicable aircraft for 20 plus years now, still can't understand your fascination with it!!

I am playing around with a K model and a J at them moment, making a Mk3 and a Mk5 by mixing and matching fuselages. The 47 Sqn tail is a must build, together with probably XV303. So many favorite frames to make, if I am not careful I will end up with a bigger fleet than Brize!!

Matt

LOL,.... I think you were right with mad,..... no other explanation! Never jumped the J,..... just the old K,..... both versions......... loved it,..... but not the airsickness or the standing up waiting to jump with all of that kit on.  

I was in the process of cross kitting the J with a K too,..... in order to do the recent 47 Sqn Special J,..... and also C.3P XV305 in a 70 Sqn special scheme which is also provided on a different Xtradecal sheet,..... but incorrectly labelled and illustrated as a J,..... it is overall green with the 70 Sqn insignia on the fin. 

Like you say,..... we can get a bit carried away,...... I also want to do an early Light Stone and Dark Earth one too with the tactical roundels and I`m currently building another Zvesda kit as XV215 when she wore  `The Fat Slags' artwork in the Gulf. Just humming and ahhing about what colours to use for the faded paintwork. 

All the best again mate and good luck in 2022,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Angell328 said:

Cheers chap, lets see what the next build will be!

Absolute belter of a Dakota Matt.:like:.  Now you've done the BBMF aircraft maybe your next build could be the one parked round the back of camp near the airmans mess? 😉

Pete

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 5:27 PM, tonyot said:

LOL,.... I think you were right with mad,..... no other explanation! Never jumped the J,..... just the old K,..... both versions......... loved it,..... but not the airsickness or the standing up waiting to jump with all of that kit on.  

I was in the process of cross kitting the J with a K too,..... in order to do the recent 47 Sqn Special J,..... and also C.3P XV305 in a 70 Sqn special scheme which is also provided on a different Xtradecal sheet,..... but incorrectly labelled and illustrated as a J,..... it is overall green with the 70 Sqn insignia on the fin. 

Like you say,..... we can get a bit carried away,...... I also want to do an early Light Stone and Dark Earth one too with the tactical roundels and I`m currently building another Zvesda kit as XV215 when she wore  `The Fat Slags' artwork in the Gulf. Just humming and ahhing about what colours to use for the faded paintwork. 

All the best again mate and good luck in 2022,

Tony

Yes there must be some form of madness involved!

I have worked on both versions of the Herc since 2000, so maybe our paths crossed in the past? You all loaded up with your kit, me looking scruffy sitting around on the pan waiting to see you off?! 🤣

I have the old airfix 70's release of the Herc with the bloodhound missle and landrover, that will have to be in chocolate bomber colours. Oh yes there are a few decent Gulf War artworks to play with as well......oh dear I think I am going to run out of display space before ideas 🤦‍♂️😆

Looking forward to seeing what comes from your model desk in 2022, all the best!

Matt

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 9:46 PM, Pete in a shed said:

Absolute belter of a Dakota Matt.:like:.  Now you've done the BBMF aircraft maybe your next build could be the one parked round the back of camp near the airmans mess? 😉

Pete

There is an idea, 47AD's mascot in 1/72 scale...... hmmmmm now where is that spare Dak kit!

• Like 1