1:48 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Tropical

Dunny

Hi All,

My latest completion (possibly the last of the year? :hmmm:) is Airfix' lovely 1:48 Hurricane Mk.I Tropical. I have built two previous versions of this kit (of which more later), and I know that it is a lovely kit, viceless to build. I've chosen to complete as P2638 of 274 Sqn RAF, flown by Sgt F H Dean from Sidi Barrani, Egypt, 1941. I'm currently reading 'The Desert Air War' by Richard Townsend Bickers, and it's been an eye-opener to the imbalance and shifting nature of that conflict, as well as the pivotal role played by the Hurricanes of 274:

download.jpg

Here's a photo of the aircraft (and Sgt Dean):

Sgt-Dean-of-No-274-Squadron-RAF-examines

The model was completed mostly OOB, apart from the addition of a Yahu instrument panel, and Eduard harness and canopy masks. Inspired by the photo I've chosen to open up the wing gun ports to add a little interest - I've also tried to replicate the level of wear apparent on the airframe, as well as the locally applied 'spaghetti' camouflage. Anyway, on with the photos:

20211227-125234.jpg

20211227-125252.jpg

20211227-125309-1.jpg

20211227-125319-1.jpg

20211227-125345-1.jpg

20211227-125413-1.jpg

20211227-125432-1.jpg

20211227-125446-1.jpg

Here's a shot with a Desert Air Force compatriot - a P40 from 112 Sqn:

20211227_125513_1.jpg

Finally, I couldn't resist a group shot with Dickie Cork's Sea Hurricane from Operation Torch, along with a BoB example:

20211227_125630.jpg

I've very much enjoyed this build, and I'll add it to my 2021 yearbook, which is here if anyone is interested:

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 49

10 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

A very nice finish Roger. It looks good with the P40 and the other Hurricanes.

I built the Sea Hurricane a couple of years ago. It's a lovely kit.

Thanks for the kind words Steve - much appreciated! It does build up nicely and there's plenty of variety, even within the kit schemes,

Cheers,

Roger

A fantastic Hurricane Roger, it looks absolutely stunning  and looks great with the other Hurricanes and P40.  This is a cracking scheme with the spaghetti camouflage too and you have done a superb job on this one. A great addition to your display and yearbook.

Chris

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

A fantastic Hurricane Roger, it looks absolutely stunning  and looks great with the other Hurricanes and P40.  This is a cracking scheme with the spaghetti camouflage too and you have done a superb job on this one. A great addition to your display and yearbook.

Chris

Thanks for the kind words Chris - it was your build that inspired me! I'm back on the Skua now after an easy win...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Very nice, as are all the others!

7 hours ago, Marc the Builder said:

I like it a lot, I have it in the stash but haven't decided on the c/s yet. This looks great!

4 hours ago, Gatesy64 said:

I also love the Airfix Hurricane. You have a lovely touch with the weathering and paint.

Thanks for the kind words gents - much appreciated!

3 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A convincing Hurricane with a particularly interesting finish! A 'character build'!

Did something happen to the stbd side? You only show it from port… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim, 

Thanks for the kind words - I can confirm that the starboard side is in good order!

Cheers,

Roger

26 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

That doesn't half look good!! You've got a really nice "used" look on the plane, and the scorched exhaust trail is very convincing. Those north African guys certainly had some action 

Thanks for the kind words Rob - much appreciated! Yes, these squadrons were fighting in very harsh, unforgiving conditions...

Cheers,

Roger

20 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Superb Roger,...... as are the others too,..... lovely paintwork mate.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the kind words Tony - much appreciated!

Cheers,

Roger

11 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Great job and a great finish. Makes me want to move mine up the build pile.

Thanks for the kind words Mackem - much appreciated!

27 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

That’s spot on ! Never saw this camouflage before! Looks amazing!

Andy 

Thanks for the kind words Andy - much appreciated!