F8F-1 Bearcat, Hobby Boss 1/72

F8F-1 Bearcat | Hobby Boss | 1/72

US Navy VF-3, Lt. A.M. "Mike" Granat, 1946

nW5IVqZ.jpg

Finished this on 11/22/2021.  I originally intended to use the decals for Lt. Cmdr. D.C. "Whiff" Caldwell, which came with the Monogram kit I had.  It was the only scheme out there for years and was done many times, but I still like it.  My reference book had a picture of Caldwell's Bearcat, which was a F8F-1, not an F8F-1b (which is what the Monogram kit is more like).  However, the Monogram decals turned out to be unusable and so I ended up using the Hobby Boss kit decals, which I rather liked.  

This is probably the best Hobbyboss easy assembly kit I've ever built, everything went together well, and the one seam that needed fixing really didn't take that long.  I did improve the landing gear bays and added my own scratch cockpit. Since I wanted it to be a dogfighter, I left the ordnance off.  This meant I had to cut the bomb off the pylon they provided as one piece, and I had to make new rocket pylons.

I built this concurrently with my Monogram F8F Bearcat, which I converted to an F8F-1b and which can be found here.  WIP is here.

Finishing: Gaps filled with Testors putty and CA, scratch built cockpit, scratch built engine access bay and ducting in the wheel wells.
Paint: Mr. Surfacer 1500 black primer / Marbled with Mr. Color Dark Ocean Gray and Mr. Color Dark Earth / Mr. Color Midnight Blue main coat / top coat of hand-brush applied Alclad Aqua Gloss

Q3Ai2bq.jpg

NH5m51Y.jpg

jK8aqt1.jpg

5EFXCu5.jpg

5LgOHVP.jpg

hdBGPrV.jpg

C3awgRK.jpg

mOq0T6E.jpg

nWKp43c.jpg

tVCYfMg.jpg

e6tTtym.jpg

The cockpit was just a tub, but I liked the seat.  I found a way to use my Dremel tool to cut the cockpit away leaving just the seat:

SbZqA48.jpg

dPRQ8DG.jpg

I scratch built a cockpit and inserted it.  It's hard to see from the outside, so it may have been a wasted effort...

bnBMofJ.jpg

prBv3FB.jpg

oikisTf.jpg

Thanks for looking, I hope you like it.  Comments, questions and constructive criticism always welcomed!

Edited by opus999
  • Like 32

11 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Lovely little model, Opus.  When it comes time for me to do a Bearcat, I think you've convinced me to start with the Hobby Boss kit rather than the Monogram F8F I already have or hunting down an Art Model or Sword kit. 

The cockpit removal was tricksy indeed.

I don't remember if I described it well or not in the WIP, but the seam on the left side was really the only one that needed fixing and about 5 minutes with a file and some micromesh made it look like it was never there! :) Definitely one of the most painless assemblies I've had in a while.  I am a bit proud of carving out the cockpit -- I wasn't really sure if I'd get away with or not!  I had a backup plan though...

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a wee beaut. Definitely one I'm after now I've seen this. 👍

Steve.

It was a fun build -- I would recommend it.

2 hours ago, BleedingBlue said:

Nice job on the cockpit.

Thank you!

Wow! This one is near and dear to my heart, as I  converted the Monogram kit back to a stock F8F-1, yellow I-40, BuNo 95443, which was used for operational training. A couple of years ago, it got knocked off of the shelf and the engine/prop broke loose from their mounting pegs; you are no doubt familiar with the kit, so will know there is no way to fix that without cutting the entire cowling off of the model, as the cowling was molded with each fuselage half! Was not aware of how good the Hobbyboss kit was, or that it was a genuine -1, so wouldn't need all the corrections that were required on the Monogram kit! Guess I need to score one of them and replicate my dear old I-40, which was my very first conversion and built over a week end! Thanks for sharing your build and WIP- I will definitely save it as a modeling reference!

Mike

https://www.biblio.com/book/f8f-1-i-40-us-navy/d/316371462

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

you are no doubt familiar with the kit, so will know there is no way to fix that without cutting the entire cowling off of the model, as the cowling was molded with each fuselage half!

Yeah.... ouch!  I can see how that would be a near-impossible fix.

Was not aware of how good the Hobbyboss kit was, or that it was a genuine -1, so wouldn't need all the corrections that were required on the Monogram kit!

I'm not a rivet counter, but as near as I can tell the shape and the panel lines are right.  HB is supposed to have a F8F-1b out in early 2022, and a F8F-2 out after that, but I don't know when.  I'm keen to get a hold of the -2!

Thanks for sharing your build and WIP- I will definitely save it as a modeling reference!

You're welcome -- I hope something in the WIP is helpful! :) 

Fantastic job!

In line with what was said earlier, I too wondered about the way Hobby Boss did the cockpits, but you’ve proved there’s nothing to fret about.

Now where’s that F-86 listing?

• Thanks 1

A superb little Bearcat. You did an outstanding job. 👍 The new F8Fs from Hobby Boss are really nice. It is too bad that there are currently no after market decal sheets available with Post War USN Reserve markings for them. Starfighter Decals did two sheets in 1/72 with some nice options but both were long sold out before the release of the Hobby Boss kit and have not been reprinted yet. 

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

Fantastic job!

In line with what was said earlier, I too wondered about the way Hobby Boss did the cockpits, but you’ve proved there’s nothing to fret about.

Thanks!  It wasn't much more effort to fix up the cockpit and I'm glad I did.

18 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

Now where’s that F-86 listing?

:D  it just shipped today... so it won't be long now!

14 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Wonder- and powerful replica of this nice plane! 

Andy

Thank you Andy!

12 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

A superb little Bearcat. You did an outstanding job. 👍 The new F8Fs from Hobby Boss are really nice. It is too bad that there are currently no after market decal sheets available with Post War USN Reserve markings for them. Starfighter Decals did two sheets in 1/72 with some nice options but both were long sold out before the release of the Hobby Boss kit and have not been reprinted yet. 

Thanks!  I agree... I'd like to see some more post war markings available.  Maybe now that HB is planning the release of a F8F-1b and F8F-2 in the next couple of years, we'll see some more decals released?

On 29/12/2021 at 04:04, opus999 said:

Maybe now that HB is planning the release of a F8F-1b and F8F-2 in the next couple of years, we'll see some more decals released?

The F8F-1B was released recently by Hobby Boss but there was no USN option included. Only Thai and French decals can be found in the box:

http://www.hobbyboss.com/index.php?g=home&m=product&a=show&id=1635&l=en

So I really hope for nice decal sheet from Xtradecal or another manufacturer with plenty of options for all variants of the Bearcat.  

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 10:53 PM, 112 Squadron said:

The F8F-1B was released recently by Hobby Boss but there was no USN option included. Only Thai and French decals can be found in the box:

http://www.hobbyboss.com/index.php?g=home&m=product&a=show&id=1635&l=en

So I really hope for nice decal sheet from Xtradecal or another manufacturer with plenty of options for all variants of the Bearcat.  

I didn't see it was out yet until you pointed this out.  Too bad there's no US Navy decals in it.

• 5 weeks later...

I need to mention that the canopy on this kit doesn't stick up as high as it should.  I know that Squadron makes (made?) vacuform canopies for the Monogram kit.  I don't know if they will fit, but I plan to find out when the HB F8F-1B.

I have these pictures as a slide show on my computer desktop at work and when I saw this after the same side view of the Monogram kit, it was obvious that the canopy is too "flat".  Looking up side views of real F8F-1s, it looks like Monogram got it right.  Typical that HobbyBoss goofs up the canopy.  That seems to be their standard operating procedure. :(  I'm no expert but I don't really see any other major errors, although I did notice the shape of the fuselage behind the canopy between the monogram and HB is slightly different -- I'm not sure which is correct.