Ki-100, Fine Molds 1/72

Ki-100 | Fine Molds | 1/72

Imperial Japanese Army,  111th Air Regiment, 5th Company, Akeno Airfield Japan, 1945

AG4Gz2w.jpg

Finished this on 10/24/2021.  This was build pretty much OOB.  It was an enjoyable build without much drama.  I like to characterize this Fine Molds kit (my 1st) as Tamiya detail with Hasagawa fit.  The surface detail was very nice but there was a little slop in the fit, so I had to be careful to make sure everything was aligned properly before applying glue.  Since painting all the national markings on my Frank and Tojo went so well, and because I like the look, I decided to do the same on this model even though I had all the decals.  I also painted the yellow leading edges and the yellow stripes on the wings, even though Fine Molds supplied decals for those too.  Painting the white border around the Hinomaru on the fuselage turned out to be a challenge since the yellow masking tape does stretch a bit, which could make it unevenly spaced if one isn't careful. As it was, I had to make a couple corrections.  Still it all turned out looking very nice and I'm quite happy with all the markings.

WIP is here

Finishing:  Gaps filled with CA

Paint: Mr. Color RLM81 top / Tamiya silver leaf with Mr. Color Super Stainless Steel highlights bottom / Mr. Color yellow-orange for lines and leading edge / Mr. Color white for roundels and stripes /  Tamiya Acrylic Red for Hinomaru / interior surfaces were a custom mix of one drop each of Hataka RLM79a (Sand), RLM02 and RLM82 / Mr. Color semi-gloss clear overcoat

wBXT6Ga.jpg

pgCejzb.jpg

yT9oFnF.jpg

2f9Ffjj.jpg

BfMwwHk.jpg

6GwvlFx.jpg

ipr1U3i.jpg

sAw4spk.jpg

mBx3BiP.jpg

u9PEfkd.jpg

vFHuhXA.jpg

KCADYS9.jpg

Qk6PYpW.jpg

UuOUYue.jpg

Thanks for looking, I hope you like it.  Comments, questions and constructive criticism always welcomed!

• Like 30

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nicely done, happy to see it get an RFI. 

Thanks Dennis!  I'm happy to see it get an RFI too! :D 

15 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That has turned out beautifully. I'm thinking my one for the Turning Japanese GB now. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve -- you should definitely consider it.  It was a nice kit and a really fine looking aircraft!

13 hours ago, Giampiero Piva said:

Nice, nice, VERY NICE !!! Congrats.

Thanks! :D 

12 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Looks fantastic!  Very nicely done!

Cheers

Andy 

12 hours ago, TonyOD said:

What a beauty!

Thank you guys.  I'm really happy with it!

• Like 1

Hai! That is one beautiful build! The painted-on markings  turned out great, too. I like the subtle touches, like the different appearance on the fabric-covered surfaces. I have the FM and new-tool Aoshima  kits, and they are both very nice., The Ki-100 was one of FM's earliest kits and does lack the finesse of their later releases, but still very nice. Your choice of scheme and  markings was a good one! :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Hai! That is one beautiful build! The painted-on markings  turned out great, too. I like the subtle touches, like the different appearance on the fabric-covered surfaces. I have the FM and new-tool Aoshima  kits, and they are both very nice., The Ki-100 was one of FM's earliest kits and does lack the finesse of their later releases, but still very nice. Your choice of scheme and  markings was a good one! :like:

Mike

Thanks Mike!  I really liked that scheme, although the other ones weren't bad either.  It was a nice kit, and I'd certainly make another FM kit.