PK-602 1/72 Avro Lancaster B Mk.I/III

I bought this back in 1991 and started it shortly after. Thirty years later it's still under 25% complete so I saw this GB as an opportunity to get it finished. 

51728646303_ca4d53bb6d_c.jpgDSCF2856 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51729048534_0d3f07eac7_c.jpgDSCF2855 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51728397696_691a97df20_c.jpgDSCF2854 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51777921270_10fd7a7981_c.jpgDSCF2936 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51777919780_2f848f3141_c.jpgDSCF2935 by timothy jones, on Flickr

• Like 21

It's not a bad kit. I built one in 1990 as an ASR3. Probably a few details wrong. The grindstone shaped wheels I replaced with my first attempt at home moulding. 

• Like 1

The classic Matchbox Lancaster.... a little crude in places, however there's enough there to build up into a very presentable Lancaster replica. It's also the only 1/72 kit (IMO) to not have the fuselage side windows which is always a nice touch if building a late serialed Lancaster. I had this kit as a young lad and naturally chose the one-off RAAF scheme. This was always a surprising decal choice as that particular Lancaster did actually possess fuselage windows? What was I to care however, this 11 year old Rabbit Leader was buzzing around his bedroom with his badly painted Humbrol 11 Lanc buzzing over some fictional Japanese city.  I still have another kit stashed, although like most modern day Matchbox kits, the decals have solidified to the waxing paper and are totally unusable. I wish you well with your saved kit and we'll be willing you on to get this one finally finished. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m also going to be watching as I think I’ve got one of these in the stash (and before anyone asks, no it won’t be appearing in this particular GB… :tease:). When it originally came out it was a vast improvement on the old (I mean REALLY old - 1958ish) Airfix effort that I had made as a kid, although there have been much better models issued since then. IIRC the recommendation at the time was to insert a wing spar otherwise the weight of the wings could open the fuselage joint up.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Galligraphics said:

I’m also going to be watching as I think I’ve got one of these in the stash (and before anyone asks, no it won’t be appearing in this particular GB… :tease:).

Oh you tease ! :wink:,

What better place to build it than here in this GB ? :wicked:

• Like 1

I dont know how far you are going to up-grade the kit but the rear entry door really could do with being moved just so the decal placement looks better.

I didnt realise about the door until I started applying the decs . . .

Matchbox-Lancaster-047.jpg

Good luck with your build . . . 

Ian

• Thanks 2

I hadn't planned on any upgrading but thanks for the info @Mancunian airman

After around 30 years work has recommenced with the engine nacelles fitted to the wings and the wing to nacelle closing panels fitted.

51901772194_18626ced3a_c.jpgDSCF3128 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51900479192_880a0bede9_c.jpgDSCF3127 by timothy jones, on Flickr

There are a few gaps that'll need some filler but it's not too bad. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, TimJ said:

After around 30 years work has recommenced with the engine nacelles fitted to the wings and the wing to nacelle closing panels fitted.

Can I recommend the purchase of a faster drying adhesive :whistle:

• Haha 4

On 2/27/2022 at 9:00 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Can I recommend the purchase of a faster drying adhesive :whistle:

And before anyone asks.... No, we are not extending this GB that long! Good to see this Lanc taking shape. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Haha 2