PK-6: FOCKE WULF FW 190 A

Hi everyone,

I haven't built a Matchbox kit for centuries, and I only have 3 oldies in the stash.

For starter I have chosen the kit PK-6 of the FW 190 A-3 or A-4.

Here are a few photos to show this plastic from another age.

FW 190 Photo 1

The tasteful plastic:

FW 190 Photo 2

Notice, decals and transparencies:

FW 190 Photo 3

This kit has always been described as one of the best models of the A-3/A-4... in its time.

Ergo it is still a good kit and I want to do it justice.

Therefore I will jazz up the cockpit, using a Reheat PE seat, pedals and seat belts.

Te wheels are very much under par and will be replaced by a True Details set.

FW 190 Photo 4

I plan to finish it as a FW 190 A-2 of JG 26, using decals found in a Kagero booklet about JG 26.

The kit's decals are for a FW 190 G, so...

It will be fun!!!

JR

• Like 13

Nice to see you on here Jean and will look forward to a fun filled, slow paced and typically exotic wildlife enhanced WIP thread. 

Looks like you have a few goodies to improve the base kit and its nice to know that (back in the day) these Fw 190 moulds we’re generally highly regarded. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great choice Jean, 

I remember building this one way back. Compared to the Airfix equivalent kit in its day I always preferred the the Matchbox kit. 

Looking forward to seeing you progress this one.

Cheers Greg 👍

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Text
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great choice Jean, 

I remember building this one way back. Compared to the Airfix equivalent kit in its day I always preferred the the Matchbox kit. 

Looking forward to seeing you progress this one.

Cheers Greg 👍

Hi Greg,

this FW 190 is a first for me as a Matchbox kit.

I have only built 2 long noses in my life: the antediluvian one from Airfix, which I remember building with a ridiculous dihedral and weird green colors. And I was so proud of this build! Then I built the Italeri D-9 when it came out.... A great kit, but so long ago!

I want to build this 190 and go to town with it (OK, within reason!). It won't take much scratch to bring this kit several levels up. 

Looking forward to this GB.

Cheers

JR

• Like 3

Hi all,

I shouldn't have, but I started this kit in between putting the finishing touches to my A-4B.

FW 190 Photo 5

By rummaging through my spares' box, I found the spare canopy from the Italeri FW 190 D-9, built eons ago with the blown canopy.

The canopy on the Matchbox kit s one of the most contentious parts, so I took the gamble that the Italeri canopy would fit and I removed the canopy frame from the Matchbox fuselage. Lucky, as I think I can make it fit!

Rather than scratchbuild a whole cockpit, I decided to try and fit the interior of the Revell FW 190 A-8. Again after a quick check, it should fit nicely.

I will try and get an A.M. cockpit when I decide to build the Revell kit! That's how one eventually gets into trouble.

The next step is to fill in all the deep panel lines on the kit and sand paper the raised lines.

Likewise, the fabric texture on ailerons, rudder and horizontal stabilizers is exaggerated, so all shall disappear. 

I want a very smooth airframe with fine panel lines... Why make life difficult?

Oh, Matchbox, in its infinite wisdom, has molded an aerial mast for an A-4 AND one for the A-1 to A-3... Everybody should be happy! I will remove the A-4 mast, of course.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 13

2 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Not an out of the box build then! 

All your improvents sound promising Jean.

Enjoy the build 

Cheers Greg 👍

Hi Greg,

I have been looking at this kit in my stash for over 40 years, never summoning the courage to build it.

Now that I have this opportunity, I want to do it justice. We will see where this leads us!

Have fun with your builds!

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

did a tad more work this evening.

I opened one side, not without difficulties: the plastic is hard and thick and a brand new 11 scalpel blade exploded while trying to open that hole.

The front of the hole is going to be thinned to the thickness of the metal sheeting and 4 exhaust pipes are going to be fitted inside.

The three cooling vents are going to be drawn and cut in a thin piece of plastic . There is no way they could be drilled accurately in the kit's plastic.

Here is a photo of the surgery.

FW 190 Photo 6

Once everything is tidied up, it should look real nice. Or so I hope!!!

Have fun!

JR                                                                 

• Like 9

I built this kit (and others) for my birthday in 1979. Despite having several Eduard 190s in the stash, and a Tamiya A-3, and some Zvezda A-4s, I would snap up this kit again in a heartbeat if it were available at any sort of reasonable price.

• Like 2

Hi,

Out of a whim, I decided to look at the front cowling and prop/spinner assembly.

Big mistake! The representation of the cooling fan is a terrible caricature of the real thing and after what must have been a temporary lapse of reason, I realized that I had removed all of the offending item. 

I felt better, but quickly realized that there was now nowhere to anchor the prop assembly. 

A quick search through he spare box came up with a very old engine of the right diameter. So now I will not only have to rebuild a cooling fan, but install as well a radial engine!

Things are quickly getting complicated.

I drilled a hole at the end of the spinner and I am left with thinning the prop blades quite a lot.

I knew it should have been OOB.

A couple of photos:

BEFORE:

FW 190 Photo 7

AND AFTER:

FW 190 Photo 8

This is modelling!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

Great progress Jean and as you’ve rightly stated ‘This is Modelling”.

There’s something about taking a somewhat basic kit and adding your own and unique personal improvements to it. I enjoy modern day precise OOB builds, however this type of modelling really excites me and the eventual end results are always so much more rewarding. Keep going, you’re doing a great job! 

Cheers… Dave 

Hi everyone,

preparatory work is ongoing.

Panel lines scribed, fabric-covered control surfaces have an exaggerated texture so putty to the rescue.

FW 190 Photo 9

Since this photo has been taken earlier today, all the thick engraved lines have been filled with CA and sanded flush.

Plus I have started opening the exhaust hole in between the landing gear wells,

These three cavities to close and prepare are going to be a mission. Damn. But it should look a lot better.

Have fun.

JR

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi JR

Have you had a chance to do any more to your 190 ?

It was languishing on page 10 of the builds :surprised:

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

all I have done to the 190 is look at it to assess the next step, and I am proud to say that I have made some lilliputian progress!

I have drilled the gun holes into the wings' leading edges, and the one closer to the root has been pushed straight through the wheel well and into the wing. Next step will be to use two lengths of micro tubing and insert the thinner into the thicker one (doh...) for the root gun.

My cunning plan is to finish both wings completely before tackling the fuselage, mostly because I am a bit at a loss how to make the cooling slits behind the engine...

In 1/72 scale they are real thin... Oh yes, and I have opened the tail wheel compartment, as it is supposed to be semi-retractable (like the Hampden, where Airfix forgot the blasted compartment as well).

BUT, my focus at this moment in time is the Etendard IV M, which I would like to finish before the end of the KUTA GB. I am kibitzing on the ejection seat and hopefully will be able to post a photo of it later this evening.

Have fun!!!

JR

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/5/2022 at 12:03 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @jean

We have a 2 week extension on this GB, so an ideal opportunity to get this one in the Gallery where it belongs.

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

I hear you and I shall try, but my modelling life has gone out of the window of late, as I have been away most of the time, or busy with visitors (who do you think does the washing up?).

Cheers mate.

JR

• Like 1