Douglas Skyraider. Xxxbinnedxxx

Hi folk's,been on the search for Matchbox's 1/32 Bf109 for a while still not found one in good condition

at a reasonable price so out has come this re-box of their Skyraider kit I got for a tenner last year.

20211226_180654

Good parts count nicely molded too but very little detail compared to more modern kits but it is Matchbox

so I love it.

20211226_180416

And three interesting schemes on offer not sure which one to do though.

20211226_180643

• Like 14

Wow Steve, I had no idea this Revell kit was the Matchbox A1-E reboxed. So good to see this still relatively available and with decals that should be a lot better than the original. I’ll look forward to see how you get on with it, no doubt it’ll build up in typical nice / quick Stevie J style. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Wow Steve, I had no idea this Revell kit was the Matchbox A1-E reboxed. So good to see this still relatively available and with decals that should be a lot better than the original. I’ll look forward to see how you get on with it, no doubt it’ll build up in typical nice / quick Stevie J style. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

Cheer's Dave,I had a quick google when this boxing started turning up on the net,I think it was released around the time Revell

folded in the US and a lot of kits turned up with the discounter's (one of our "bargain" stores had the F16 and F105 in at £10),

once I saw it was the Matchbox kit I bought it.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

... once I saw it was the Matchbox kit I bought it.

Seems impossible to believe, however strangely I know where you're coming from! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great choice Steve and that's one heck of a lot of plastic for a tenner !

Good luck.

Cheers Pat 

Thank's Pat I plan at least another one for this GB likely to be in the bigger scale failing that maybe it's time to tackle a Heyford

for the first time, my first ever Matchbox kit was the Gnat!

• Like 2

• stevej60 changed the title to Douglas Skyraider. AD-5. (PK651).

Last time I saw these in a shop (2 years ago). They were going for $35 U.S.. I want one but not going to pay that much. I need to find a cheaper one because it will need a bit of work on the interior. A couple of better seats and an instrument panel would be sufficient. The rest can be scratch built. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Next to get started will be this one later today the old Esci kit built well for me a year or two ago,this one I've decided to build in the

early US Navy scheme of all over Blue should sit alongside the RN version nicely.

20190201_183440

20190201_183400

• Like 6

Hi folk's,look at ten different pictures of this aircraft's cockpit you get ten different colour and layout combinations so for me

a typical fifties type of finish will do so sprayed dark gray seats picked out in olive green headrests in red.Add some spare decals

masking tape belts with detail drawn on with a very sharp pencil and I'm happy with the busy look.

20220110_194056

20220110_194043

A dry run of the glazing shows a decent fit so by the time the framing is painted and the tinting done I think the cockpit should suffice.

20220110_195102

• Like 12

That’s looking so splendid Steve, the homemade seatbelts are absolutely brilliant and that canopy does look to be a decent fit. You are making me want one! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Great start.  Watching with interest.  I purchased this kit last year and did an easy rescribe of the entire kit using some new tools....and BAM, I get deployed for a year.  So it's sitting at home awaiting my return.  

So in the mean time....I'm going to live through your build Steve, hope you don't mind me watching closely.

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Collin said:

So in the mean time....I'm going to live through your build Steve, hope you don't mind me watching closely.

Glad of the company Collin hope you enjoy.

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks great so far Steve, was looking at these recently myself and will see how this developes.  Cockpit looking good and your Esci one looks lovely great job on that one.

Chris

Thank's Chris

8 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looking good Steve👍

Love those seat belts, I never realised this was a three seater!

Cheers Greg

Cheers Greg,been tackling the outer wing joints tonight,very stressfull!

• Like 3

Hi folk's more progress,even though little can be seen it's nice to paint and weather the engine before the covers go on.

Wing's cleaned up and sanded then added and left a couple of days to dry,and yes the filler needs an outing!

20220113_191505

Lovely fit of the rest of the assemble,nice one Matchbox tool makers.

20220113_192657

• Like 11

That's looking the goods Steve and that smooth solid base of Dark Blue really highlights your great Internal Cockpit work. Did I say you're making me want one of these kits - really badly! 

Cheers and nice progress.. Dave 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's looking the goods Steve and that smooth solid base of Dark Blue really highlights your great Internal Cockpit work. Did I say you're making me want one of these kits - really badly! 

Cheers and nice progress.. Dave 

Go on Dave you know you want to.

4 hours ago, beany said:

Outstanding progress Steve. Love the seat belts - I shall be stealing that idea for mine.

Thank's Beany,just run of the mill masking tape add a bit detail with a pencil but make sure it's pin sharp.

20210822_200016

• Like 2