BK's second build; Messerschmitt 109E PK-017

An unboxed kit, no decals nor instructions and actually from 'scrap' kits.
Years ago I got a load of mixed 'scrap' kits. By sorting through them I've managed to get a complete 109 
The yellow sprue was in a different 'scrap' bag from the brown wings sprue and the one fuselage half and the prop was in a bag of mixed scrap parts. I had to find a canopy for it in my spare canopies box but I think its a Matchbox one as it fits perfectly
I actually found three Matchbox 109s mixed up like this in the scrap bags

Matchbox%20Messerschmitt%20109E%2C%20PK-

Decals will come from my spares.

I have plenty of decals for 109s but I'll see what takes my fancy as the build commences

• Like 13

Agree, there’s something special about resurrecting what was once thought to be a bin-able kit, so its great to see these moulds receiving a second lease on life. All kits deserved to be built, so two thumbs up for a great save. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've made a start on this as the first to be started
The Messer 109 had lots of holes on the nose parts. None of these are on the Matchbox kit so I decided to put some of them in. Once started it became, 'just another one, then another'
Starboard side fuselage half. Untouched, top, and some holes cut in, lower. I've gone over the holes with a pencil so you can see them

Matchbox%20Messerschmitt%20109E,%20PK-%2

The top of the engine cowling, untouched, left and with holes cut in, but some fillers not smoothed, right

Underneath the nose, the oil cooler radiator air inlet and outlet cut away. Don't worry about the size of the holes, this will be dealt with later in the build

I'm building 3 of these kits at the same time. Two props just about ready and three sets of main wheels painted

The pilot doesn't look too happy

I've decided this will be a Spanish Air Force E3, post-SCW

• Like 10

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I hadn't realised you were building 3 of these in the same build thread !

ah, let me make it a bit clearer.

I'm building 3 Matchbox Messer 109s

1 x on here in this GB

1 x on another forum which is also running a Matchbox GB at this same time

1 x on my workbench as it was another 'scrap' kit but too far built to be eligible for either GB

Thus, as I work on the 3 simultaneously some photos will show parts and workings for 3 kits

• Like 2

You know there’s a name for ‘Two Timers’ like you BK!!! 

All good Fred, I see and hear your logic and building three will just add confusion to me and my build list. These 109’’s are looking great. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You know there’s a name for ‘Two Timers’ like you BK!!! 

All good Fred, I see and hear your logic and building three will just add confusion to me and my build list. These 109’’s are looking great. 

Cheers.. Dave 

It's OK Dave, he's promised us the nicest one for our GB, the others can get the "also rans"

• Haha 3

More cutting and drilling

On the tail end, I've opened up the tail wheel recess and drilled the hole just in front of the tail planes on the fuselage sides  

The hole for the pitot is too far forward so I've filled it and drilled a new hole. I've drilled the holes on both wings for the aileron mass weights 

The 'E3' I've chosen to do appears to have been fitted out as an E1 first. It has the machinegun holes in the wing leading edge next to the 20mm canon

Doing 3 at a time means industrial multiplicity
6 u/c legs

6 u/c doors [the ones on the right come from another kit]

I'm missing one Matchbox under-wing radiator unit so I've made a latex rubber mould of a good one so I can cast a resin copy

Time for a group photo chaps
I'm painting up a gang of pilots for some of the different kits I'll be doing

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Weeks ago I got the 109 mostly assembled and then undercoated with grey paints

Sort of half-way through the undercoat painting;

But the paint went funny and I got severe orange-peel [no jokes please, I'm not in the mood for them]

I had to strip the paint off, which also removed some fillers, affected the glued joints allowing parts to come off and the MrMuscle affected the plastic surface

I've been very busy on other things so I've only just got around to start into rebuilding the 109

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Sorry to hear that Fred

I had a similar issue on a Fulmar when the paint went all weird, I had to strip and repaint, a real pain at the time but seeing it finished I'm glad I did it.

Hope it goes well.

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the 109 mostly re-built and I've put on an undercoat of Humbrol 1 on the fuselage and tail

I have to finish shaping the aileron mass balances. I drilled through the fronts of the wing radiator intakes and glued in very thin lengths of HSS for the rod thingies you can see on the real ones ~https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fb/a7/dc/fba7dc60b7d6d34426240b4f827db2f4--me--luftwaffe.jpg

I'm now waiting on the very poor enamel undercoat to dry so I can do the wings [with a different paint]

• Like 9

Still seam filling, smoothing down, re-priming, seam filling, smoothing down. . . . . 

Nearly done with that

Getting a good primer finish is important to me. A bad primed surface will only give a poor top coat finish

I don't always prime but with these very colourful Matchbox kits the primer is useful

• Like 3

Despite the various shades of grey on it this 109E is just about ready for its main colours to be applied

White on wing tips and rudder first and some RLM 02 on some details, then RLM 65 underneath and RLM 63 on top side

• Like 6

Wing tips and rudder painted white then masked off for the underside blue-grey

Topside grey nearly done. I need to mask off the fuselage belly to finish that part

• Like 7