PK601 - Supermarine Stranraer

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 9:31 PM, MarkSH said:

Evening all,

Finally got around to applying some actual paint to this build........despite compressor problems...might need a new regulator.......:swear:

v9s9XQS.jpg

Primer; stynylrez, never lets me down.

reWllqa.jpg

Tamiya XF71 cockpit green base layer then a few areas sprayed with the same lightened with white and all sealed with Mig Ammo Lucky satin varnish

usvLqm2.jpg

I added a sort of floor to the mid section compartment, it's probably not at all accurate but I felt something needed to be seen when looking in through the mid upper gunner's position. The detail painting added, a brown and black wash plus some light grey dry brushing.  I will seal it all with matt varnish tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mark.

Wow this looks amazing! Fair play to you!

Boy this kit is really busting my proverbials!

I love this aeroplane but the kit is driving me crazy (nothing new there...3rd attempt...ahem!), even in just making sure that the main planes could be set right, no end of problems ensued including the breakage (separation of the brass strip spar from the plastic) of the upper main plane lower section which had to be repaired.

The whole thing is so delicate that I don't think I can afford to do any serious manipulation in particular regard to masking for airbrushing, the upshot is I will be brush painting from this point on.

Anyway that notwithstanding I have got to a point where paint can be applied.......carefully!

Most major parts have been assembled and primed which I think will be the last airbrushing carried out on this project:

e9f2OIV.jpg

All the lower parts have had a silver dope effect applied (Vallejo Aluminium + Tamiya white) and sealed with Klear. The upper main plane top part has had its first coat of DSG (still drying). 

The inter-plane struts are loosely tacked in place so that I can fit the upper main plane lower part and start a sequenced tensioning of the rigging so as not to cause another major breakage....hopefully.

The outrigger floats will need to be fitted before the lower main plane lower parts are fitted, I am using 0.2 mm copper wire for the flying wire/bracing and some leftover thread from my Impact flycatcher build for the rigging...never throw anything away!

yXCNPet.jpg

Some of the 3D printed details have come out reasonably well, in particular the beaching tyres, with the primer applied the details have really popped out, unfortunately so has the layering effect of the print process (very noticeable on the cowlings at lower right).  I have painted up one of the Pegasus engines, the other is primed ready for the same treatment.

More later,

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 11

True model engineering here Mark the 3D exras really does raise the bar on this kit and does seem to be the way the hobby is

going now how long before we can simply order improved interiors etc like we order decal's etc at a reasonable price?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

True model engineering here Mark the 3D exras really does raise the bar on this kit and does seem to be the way the hobby is

going now how long before we can simply order improved interiors etc like we order decal's etc at a reasonable price?

Presumably when Mark starts taking orders from all his customers   :fingerscrossed:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Presumably when Mark starts taking orders from all his customers   :fingerscrossed:

Which is exactly how numerous "cottage industries" started.

Pete

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

It's all going a bit slowly here at home, unfortunately 3 out of 4 in the household are covid+ myself included and I'm feeling pretty lousy with it.

I have been doing some painting and fettling but not really keen on mucking about with any solvents etc at the moment.

The Stranny has had its base colours brush applied and all sealed in with some Klear.  All of the kit decals are non-usable so I am using some Xtradecal roundels and fin flashes, there is a minimal size difference to what was in the kit, but I can live with it and I suspect the Xtradecals are a better representation of the correct sizes any way.  The main problem was the aircraft code letters which dissolved into a nasty slimy mess on contact with warm water....great, so I had recreate the BN L  letters print and out a few copies as a template for cutting some masks to airbrush the letters.

H5ekJz6.jpg

eJ7DAny.jpg

ecoUk04.jpg

I72kMaC.jpg

9kzJSkY.jpg

J3iNFB1.jpg

Once the decals and code letters are applied I'll be able to seal them in and do some chipping and weathering.

It all sort of fits together and the geometry is pretty good too, getting close to the make or break point with the rigging! Sorry for the glacial progress.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 13

Apologies for missing these last few updates, however its good to see this big kit progressing and the news that you are over the other side of Covid. This GB will certainly be remembered for many reasons as some of you have been effected by this retched virus, so hat's off to those who have gathered their strengths to push through with these builds. I can't believe how good this Stranraer is looking - you have totally transformed a good base kit into an awesome replica. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morning all,

I am finding that this is definitely an odd sequence build....who am I kidding its all bottom about face!  In order to apply my usual weathering process i.e. the application of oil paint as a filter, it has to be done before I rig the model otherwise I just won't be able to access certain areas, it will require some careful touching up after the whole lot is assembled but I knew that would be the case anyway.

I sprayed the aircraft's code letters and sealed with a satin varnish.

KG1xJcP.jpg

Over the satin finish some sponge chipping effects were applied then blobs of various coloured, leached out oil paint were scumbled into the surface and blended to give a uniform faded finish with some variation in colour as well as the addition of some staining in particular the waterline 'tide mark' and exhaust staining

blh3mka.jpg

it all needs to dry out for a few days before sealing again ready for rigging and final assembly.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 14