PK601 - Supermarine Stranraer

Well here I am with another attempt to finish a 'Stranny'

PK601

TXU8CtA.jpg

sOovv16.jpg

given my past history of abortive and just plain failed efforts with this kit I have enough bits to make up two kits.......so you never know, maybe a civvie version as well.

21bOZE8.jpg

Some pre-emptive work on the port fuselage with some scribing and rivet details being added, I'll be starting the removal of the cargo door detail soon before doing a similar detailing job on the stbd. side.

I have also been working on some additional details and ideas for the Pegasus engines possibly with one engine with cowlings off, not sure yet, anyway the files are ready for a test print. I have already test printed one of the engines which came out surprisingly well

QExmMW7.jpg

GhfvgvG.jpg

rPIBUKl.jpg

More later,

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 23

This has got all the haul marks to be a great WIP build Mark. I must say, I’m having a few issues viewing those photos on my iPad, however they seem to load a lot quicker on the iPhone. Those Pegasus engines are extremely impressive and will greatly enhance what essentially is quite a good OOB kit. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Are you planning on building both Mark ?

It all depends on how the main subject goes Pat. I will see as I go, also I would need decide on a subject and to source some appropriate decals etc.

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I must say, I’m having a few issues viewing those photos on my iPad, however they seem to load a lot quicker on the iPhone.

Sorry you're having difficulties with the images Dave, I tried the post on my iPhone and all was good, they were reduced and cropped and load almost instantly when I view the post on BM.... I have just switched over to Imgur as an image host so I'll check out any adjustable settings and see if I'm doing something wrong.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Hello all,

I seem to have got the exposure timings for my 3d printer/resin dialled in at last so I have taken a couple of shots of the Stranny's Pegasus engines and collector ring, I'm sure they'll look better when I've got some primer on them but so far, considering how small they are I'm more than happy...certainly an improvement on the kit offerings.

jbFXs8J.jpg

even the spark plug wires got printed, really happy with that!

DpilShh.jpg

The collector ring stubs fit quite neatly into recesses in the cylinder heads.

Learnt a lot during this little exercise.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 12

As well mentioned above, those new 3D printed engines are a true work of art Mark. Can’t wait to see this beautiful kit being built and wonderfully finished. Not long now before kick off. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Morning all,

So here we go Matchbox PK601 Supermarine Stranraer take .....2...3...2...  dunno, lost count...

First things first, with apologies to those of a sensitive nature, you may notice a glaringly brand new, clean and dink free cutting mat in the following images....new year....new build.....etc, anyway don't worry because it won't look like this for long!

LuwzDIl.jpg

The exterior panel line and rivet detailing of the fuselage has been mostly completed, except for the top surface and the hull which will be done once the halves are mated.  The recessed panel for the 2nd pilot's sliding window has been added as has the window where the cargo door detail has been removed, something I missed on my previous attempt on Mount Stranraer.

v71dSN5.jpg

The interior detailing is underway, stiffeners around the doorways, some suggestions of longerons, frames and stringers and the crew door has had some detail added as I intend to pose it in the open position.

xXXWTGB.jpg

The kit's pilot seat, like the engines just didn't cut it for me so a replacement was modelled and printed.

mIK7QXZ.jpg

....and finally for now I have just printed the port engine to go with the starboard....so that's port on the right and......starboard on....the left...you know what I mean, anyway a subtle difference in that just the collector ring stays are rotated by 40° clockwise as viewed so as to keep the oil scavenge pump at BDC and to account for the similarly rotated collector ring and the associated fixing points for the stays.

Anyway that's all folks, on with the interior detailing.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 17

• MarkSH changed the title to PK601 - Supermarine Stranraer

They are massive improvements Mark, this build is going to be epic and you are showing us the way that 3D moulding is most certainly the way of the future (even present!).
Cheers and lovely progress.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Evening all,

A little progress on the interior details today, probably not going to add much more as not much will be seen once it's all buttoned up, anyway todays additions:

6MNpBWe.jpg

Further internal structural details at the dorsal and tail gunner's positions, I'm not bothering with any detail in the central section between the navigator's station and the dorsal gunner station it just won't be seen but I will be adding some in the nose area.

IdB89py.jpg

The main structure and floor have been added to the cockpit and Navigator's station, not all the components are glued in place yet, just a dry run. I have copied some of the detail ideas from @Vulcanicity's excellent Stranraer build, which I consider the class act with this Matchbox kit, I made the same statement sometime ago when trying to build the Stranny before but Vulcanicity's build along with the Heyford are ones that I keep going back to for inspiration.

Looking at the images now I'm not really happy with the control wheels they look really clunky so I may have revisit those.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 11

Evening all,

A little more interior detail added in the cockpit and nose of the Stranny plus the 2nd Pilots stowable seat and seat back:

GhjsJ13.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 16

Hi all,

I have a question for @dogsbody , do you know whether the engine maintenance platform (see below) or similar was used to service RAF machines? I saw these on another post by a BM member asking for details on the Stanraer and thought what a wonderful image it was showing the aircraft undergoing maintenance work, I would like to try and replicate at least one engine being worked on.  Any ideas?  The other option would be to do a RCAF machine if I can source the markings.

5HuFN8x.jpg

55EQLSq.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8

Afternoon all,

As I mentioned earlier I felt that the steering wheel assembly could be improved on so I had a go at modelling and printing an upgrade. It occurred to me that I could model the whole steering, rudder assembly as one.  I also refined the engine cowlings and they now fit much better around the collector ring.

Additionally I saw a build where someone had scratch built the glazing frame for the cockpit. the kit clear part is not badly moulded at all but the 'clear' parts are very thick and really don't work for showing the interior very well at all so I'm experimenting with a all in one piece print which can be 'glazed' with some thin packaging plastic which is much more transparent than the kit part.  the print below is a bit wobbly so further strengthening is required an easy enough fix.

z3PEhai.jpg

5doGqYK.jpg

A trial run with the steering assembly, unfortunately my measurements were slightly out and the whole thing is 2mm too wide but again, an easy enough fix but overall much better than the rather blobby kit part.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 20

What a wonderful build of a great subject. I really like the detail work you are putting into this and the sensible choice of doing what you can see (mainly). Doing the 3D printing is a real win for you.

All the best with the rest of the build!

Ray

• Thanks 1