PK-134 F3D-2 Skynight ++ FINISHED ++

Hi John

I gather that the hatch was in 2 parts - the rear was jettisoned when a handle was pulled in the cockpit, and the front swung down to form a windbreak - strange that MB missed it out.

Pete

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hi John

I gather that the hatch was in 2 parts - the rear was jettisoned when a handle was pulled in the cockpit, and the front swung down to form a windbreak - strange that MB missed it out.

Pete

Hi Pete,

If you check the Detail & Scale link below you will find the image that I have come across, unfortunately there is no direct link to it so it means that you will have to scroll through. It is Image No.12 in the last set that show an aircraft undergoing restoration. It looks like the hatch/windbreak sits within a larger panel, I will scribe a suitably sized and shaped panel on the underside in the next day or so and at least there will be some sort of detail there representing this important feature.

Detail & Scale F3D/F-10 Skynight

You should also find what I think may or may not be the spar detail in the undercarriage bay in there too.

Cheers.

John

• Like 1

A bit of work done on both of my builds for the GB today . For this one I scribed in some details on the underside and have included the hatch at the opposite end of the crew escape chute. I can't swear that the details are accurate but I have positioned it based on photos in the link in the previous post. I have made the assumption that the belly panel details follow a similar pattern to those on the rest of the kit, and there is nothing there on the kit anyway and it has to be an improvement over that.

51884733510_9921d3351d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I also made some time to rescribe the tail and then glued it in place, the fit of that part is poor and requires some filling on the sides and underneath.

51884733550_7d6acfdfa5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks for checking in.

John

• Like 6

I added the canopy parts yesterday then masked them off ready for a covering of matt black. That was sprayed on from a rattle can this morning, once dry I sprayed some primer over the model and tidied up a couple of areas that needed further attention. Because this will be finished in a Gull Grey/White scheme I then added some parts to the underside, I still have to decide whether to add the pylons now or after the painting is completed.

51900901967_fb178cb2fd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51901956408_409786a67c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John.

• Like 8

Looks smashing in that smooth primer finish John. The base coat colours should take to that so easily. Preparation is key in this hobby, so  this is well on its way to being yet another stunningly finished model. 
Cheers.. Dave 

44 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

I still have to decide whether to add the pylons now or after the painting is completed

What I do some times is tape the wing and poke holes where pylons mount. Place the pylons and mark the area gently with a blade. Take the pylons away and score and remove excess tape. The locations for the pylons wont have paint. This way you can put decals on without having to cut/modify/move them to fit around pylons. Then remove tape and glue pylons in place. 

• Like 3

On 24/02/2022 at 21:35, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

What I do some times is tape the wing and poke holes where pylons mount. Place the pylons and mark the area gently with a blade. Take the pylons away and score and remove excess tape. The locations for the pylons wont have paint. This way you can put decals on without having to cut/modify/move them to fit around pylons. Then remove tape and glue pylons in place. 

Thanks for the tip Dennis, I will store that away for future use. The pylons that come in the kit are quite thin and are probably underscale, so I decided to add them in this case.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Hi John,

nice and tidy build, as usual! You can turn a Matchbox kit into an Hasegawa look-alike...

Not a bad day's work.

Keep at it. It is going to be beautiful.

JR

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jean said:

Hi John,

nice and tidy build, as usual! You can turn a Matchbox kit into an Hasegawa look-alike...

Not a bad day's work.

Keep at it. It is going to be beautiful.

JR

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your comment and apologies for the late reply, but it is my birthday and we have just had a virtual party with our son and daughter-in-law who live in the Netherlands. A night of playing games with plenty of fun and laughter. Anyway time to get back to the serious stuff. This is looking OK now I have got the topcoats on, I'll give it another once over tomorrow in the cold light of day before unmasking, then it will be time to paint a few details before starting on the decals.

John.

• Like 5

Happy belated Birthday to you!!!!

Enjoy life and regards to Caron.

JR

• Thanks 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle, @jean, @Rabbit Leader,

Thanks for your birthday messages and comments fellas.

I unmasked the model a couple of days ago but I wasn't happy with the soft edge definition between the Light Gull Grey and the White which was probably due to my choice of using Blu-tac White to set the boundary between the two along the fuselage. Today I remasked the areas affected with tape and resprayed the grey along the tape, when it was unmasked again, I had the harder edge that I was after. Looking back, I don't think that I rolled out the White Tac worms thin enough, but it was an easy fix in the end as can be seen in the following photos.

51912238476_12215ce86c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51912336643_909a23394c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Time now to push on with painting the black areas and smaller details.

John.

• Like 5

Thanks very mich Dave. I have spent some of the afternoon brush painting the wheels with Revel Anthracite for the tyres and sevetal of the black areas had Citadel Abaddon Black brushed on once they had been masked off.

51914007536_8666170f42_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51914623345_504f67cf7d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The scheme that I am planning to use for this build is this one from a Print Scale decal sheet.

51914104093_f0eb6d3458_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The blurb for the aircraft states that when in Canada the British insignia was applied to the stars, but I haven't been able to confirm if the decal supplied is genuine. I have tried searching for photos of the actual aircraft but have only come across a couple of other profiles that show the RAF emblem in that position. Can anyone tell me what the decal circled below is, and whether it is a genuine British symbol? It's not one I am familiar with.

51914623545_62143b9d9c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

51914104093_f0eb6d3458_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The blurb for the aircraft states that when in Canada the British insignia was applied to the stars, but I haven't been able to confirm if the decal supplied is genuine. I have tried searching for photos of the actual aircraft but have only come across a couple of other profiles that show the RAF emblem in that position. Can anyone tell me what the decal circled below is a genuine British symbol? It's not one I am familiar with.

51914623545_62143b9d9c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

Hi John,

Nothing British I have ever seen. The central shield is straight from the US Navy crest, but instead of a single vertical anchor it has two crossed ones on the dec, with wings on top rather than one each side. I expect one of our friends in the US will be able to identify it. Having said that, there is a drawing in the Naval Fighters volume on the plane with the same caption, but the marking inside the star is totally different, and does indeed look like an RAF style badge with a crown on top, a scroll underneath and a large bird with wings spread outside the centre circle as you can see in the link below.

https://flic.kr/p/2n6vjXP

In fact I have just identified it as the RCAF badge, which makes more sense to me. Should be easy enough to print your own on white decal paper maybe?

rcaf

Darned thing will not re-size!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

PS - the above is I think the current RCAF badge - the 1960 version probably said Per Ardua ad Astra like the RAF one and the bird might have been smaller, our Canadian modelling friends would know! Whoever drew the pic in the book/printed the decs may have been guessing a bit.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your help again Peter, it's much appreciated. I thought that I would broaden my search and have had a look through Canadian, British and US Military symbols and have come across this one for US Coastguard which has crossed anchors. I am now wondering if Print Scale did not have permission to use the RAF emblem, so decided to cobble something together from a couple of US sources. Until I can verify the marking I will leave that decal off for now.

51913258522_e44afb9de5_n.jpg

Thanks again.

John

• Like 1

No problem John,

You may be right - our posts "crossed in the ether" and you will see that I think something may be wrong either way.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterB said:

No problem John,

You may be right - our posts "crossed in the ether" and you will see that I think something may be wrong either way.

Pete

I agree Pete, until it is confirmed either way I think that the marking should be regarded as spurious.

John

• Like 1

After masking up the exhaust outlets this morning I painted those up, then added some short lengths of plastic straw to the outlets that I had primed and painted up with a Jet Exhaust colour prior to installation.

51922044933_b6947f9b02_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Back shortly, Mrs N says that I can't play out any more coz mi dinner/tea is ready. :lol:

Now where were we. Ahh yes...

After that I made a start on the decals, getting most of the main decals on the starboard side and the top of the wings completed. I am going to leave that to set up over night before working on the port side and underneath. That will leave a bunche of stencils to finish this stage off.

51921949261_f3ab0f8229_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51920979987_92683def8d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks for checking in.

John

• Like 2