PK-134 F3D-2 Skynight ++ FINISHED ++

• nimrod54 changed the title to PK-134 F3D-2 Skynight

I'll be interested to see what you make of the Skynight. I had the kit but sold it on when I reduced the stash. I built the Rareplanes kit many moons ago and it came out pretty well. 

• Like 1

I've got the same kit John, however we wait a month or so for Osprey's Skyknight Units of the Korean & Vietnam Wars book to be released before I even think of tackling mine. In the meantime I'll watch over your build to get those few handy tips that always seem to accompany your great WIP threads. 

Cheers. welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

Hi John,

great choice.

I do hope you will go for the Korean war paint scheme! It is really iconic.

I will definitely follow, whatever you choose!

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

@JOCKNEY, @Mr T, @Rabbit Leader, @stevej60, @jean

Thanks for all the interest chaps, I have ordered a Pavla cockpit set and some decals for this one. I used a Pavla set on this Buckeye, built for the previous Matchbox GB and it went in pretty well. I still have to make a final decision on a scheme yet, but the sheet has a US Navy aircraft finished in grey/white which was zapped with large and small Tiger heads and flag when on a visit to Canada.

39528233014_a6539ec94c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

38434215260_f4a00367bd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Nice kit. I followed the instructions and painted mine black but have since seen suggestions it should have been the normal dark blue!

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

For those not using the Pavla cockpit set, both seats should have head rests. It's not shown in the instruction but I believe the rounded one does have it moulded on a stalk. I thought it was part of sprue and cut the seat out as indicated. The other seat was missing in my kit so I had to scratchbuilt it and the headrests any way; the Palva set is a useful reference. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a bit of work on the Jaguar SS this morning, I finally made a start on my second build this afternoon. The first job was to prep the resin cockpit and then make the necessary changes to the fuselage to accommodate it. Then I assembled the wings and after that I started to fit the engine nacelles and exhaust sections, they are going to require a bit of filling. Once I have those tidied up I will start work on the intake sections then sort out the resin before fixing that in place and closing up the fuselage.

Cockpit. The kit part is on the left, Pavla replacement on the right.

51866834114_5bedf65e58_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51866593673_5b0a0eba58_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51867166435_b000faf515_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 11

Nice work.

Having the canopy of that Buckeye open has made a huge difference to the overall look of the plane. It's also a very good gettaround for disguising the thickness of the canopy. A very nice looking model.

The clear parts on my Skyknight are pretty poor, rather thick, with a slightly pebbly look to them. I doubt much will be seen through them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyW said:

Nice work.

Having the canopy of that Buckeye open has made a huge difference to the overall look of the plane. It's also a very good gettaround for disguising the thickness of the canopy. A very nice looking model.

The clear parts on my Skyknight are pretty poor, rather thick, with a slightly pebbly look to them. I doubt much will be seen through them. 

Thanks Tony. The canopy on the Buckeye was pretty clear and fairly thin to start with. I tried to make it appear thinner by painting some of the front frame black.

The clear parts on my Skynight are like yours, so I am not sure how much of the cockpit work will be seen once things are buttoned up.

Once I had finished assembling the cockpit parts this morning I got some primer on that and the seats.

51870389526_fb05f33af2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I then spent the rest of the day working on the wings. First job was to rescribe the panel lines using the raised detail as a guide, after that I sanded off the raised detail. I have also started boxing in the undercarriage bays, and after finding a photo on Detail & Scale's website I added some spar detail to the forward side of the bay. This makes sense because a pair of parallel panel lines run on either side of the undercarriage bay, this I have assumed to be the location of the wing spar.

The rescribed upper surfaces.

51869426212_061dd130b6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And the lower surfaces with the wing nearest the camera having the spar detail added (nearest edge) and the bay boxed in.

51871040195_7e5ed39167_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I have no doubt that once they have primer on there will need to be some corrections to the panel lines.

John

• Like 9

Lovely progress John and all this extra detailing will add to a very beautiful model. The boxed in wheel wells look good so I’ll watch on for more tips and tricks as you get to them. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Lovely progress John and all this extra detailing will add to a very beautiful model. The boxed in wheel wells look good so I’ll watch on for more tips and tricks as you get to them. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks very much Dave.

I made a start on painting up the cockpit yesterday and got it finished last night, I still have to finish painting the detail on the seats then I can fit those and position the headrests on the rear bulkhead. I've added a couple of electrical panels to each side of the fuselage and a small panel on the port side. The more observant may have noticed that the instrument panel is different to that in the earlier photo, thats because the panel originally fitted is for the  F3D-2Q (Electronic Warfare variant) but after some deft work with a scalpel I was able to remove it and replaced it with the correct panel for a -2. 

The port half of the fuselage has been rescribed using a combination of tape, rule, a couple of scribing tools and a razor saw for some of the tighter curves, once I have rescribed the stbd I should be ready to fix the cockpit tub in place and glue up the fuselage.

51874367039_f0fa158d44_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51874693640_d4e697f0cd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51874051836_ce074abb99_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51873089172_37af6008d3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51874367299_a6c02ebdf5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

This morning I did a bit of work on the undercarriage bay of the other wing, gluing a piece of sprue in position to represent the wing spar, and that was it for the day as we had to get over to my dear old mums place with her weekly shopping.

51874693680_424c0fc37c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers for now.

John

• Like 8

I have made a bit more progress over the last couple of days, completing the boxing in of the second undercarriage bay and rescribing the starboard side of the fuselage yesterday.

51877650528_6a69c75fcd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Then today I added the intakes, finished off the cockpit by adding the seats and headrests, then that sub assembly was glued into the starboard fuselage half. I filled the nose sections of the fuselage with some weight using Liquid Gravity before gluing the fuselage together. 

51877572426_468a193ccc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51877572376_ab09f54663_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51877650393_458e161a20_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51877889884_e85a5aefb3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I will leave that overnight to harden off and tomorrow I can start filling and blending in the intakes, after that I'll tidy up the joins before I glue on the wings and tailplane.

John

• Like 11

Excellent work John it's nice to see love and attention being put into a kit many would write off as not worth the time to improve I

always admired MB for tackling this kit a few other's Airfix,Revell and the like wouldn't.

• Like 2

Hi John,

I seem to remember it is a nice kit. I see from your pic that your resin cockpit correctly includes the escape hatch at the rear, unlike the kit. I don't suppose MB provide any indication of the escape chute on the underside of the fuselage either - can't check my kit as it is hidden in the roof.

Pete

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s all looking very neat John, the cockpit is extremely realistic and excellent work boxing in those wheel wells. Coming along nicely- as expected. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks again Dave, The resin cockpit is a big improvement over the finished kit part, though I daresay that better modellers  that I could make a decent job by improving what is in the box.

11 hours ago, TonyW said:

That cockpit looks the business. Nice work on the wing spar as well, a subtle but very worthwhile addition.

Cheers Tony, though, as we have already discussed, some of the detail may be lost under the canopy. I still need to have a look for some photos of the main undercarriage doors, I am sure that they are going to need some thinning over the spar. 

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent work John it's nice to see love and attention being put into a kit many would write off as not worth the time to improve I

always admired MB for tackling this kit a few other's Airfix,Revell and the like wouldn't.

Thanks a lot Steve. I think that most MB kits were fairly accurate in shape though a little sparse on detail in places, and many folk are often critical of the depth of panel lines, but with a bit of time and effort a decent model can be made and often it can push you to do something that you may not even consider trying on a modern kit. I don't build to competition standard and as long as the end result looks like the thing that I am trying to build, and I have enjoyed working on it, then that is all that matters to me.

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi John,

I seem to remember it is a nice kit. I see from your pic that your resin cockpit correctly includes the escape hatch at the rear, unlike the kit. I don't suppose MB provide any indication of the escape chute on the underside of the fuselage either - can't check my kit as it is hidden in the roof.

Pete

Hi Pete,

It is a nice kit and has gone together pretty well so far. As I have said to Steve, detail is sometimes lacking on MB kit and this one has no detail on the underside, so the panel for the escape chute is missing. I have found a photo that would give a very rough location, and from what I can see it sits between the engine nacelles at the forward end of the large doors on those. For the most part the panel lines look to be correct, so it is a bit of a mystery why Matchbox decided to leave out the detail on the underside.

John

• Like 3