PK-304 Jaguar SS/100 - FINISHED

When I bought this kit on Evil-bay, it had already been started and it arrived with the body painted in a thickly applied red enamel along with a chocolate interior. Further checks of the box contents revealed that the instructions were also missing along with a couple of the tyres.

Another search resolved the tyre issue, though I will have to ensure that they are fitted as a pair either at the front or rear, whilst the badly applied paint and chrome parts have been stripped with Flash kitchen cleaner - and who knows with some careful assembly I should hopefully end up with something similar to the box art, even without instructions. :lol: 

51777361385_90a9734b01_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51775660087_a6689a4a29_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 18

Nice choice.  I built this unpainted when it first came out and it was lovely to put together, fitting perfectly compared to many other kits around at the time.  It might have been one of my earliest efforts with graduating to liquid poly to assemble - doubt that would be sold to a twelve year old now!

It came in that box art but was green and tan plastic (so unpainted looked okay), so i wonder if someone has subbed later plastic into your kit box?

• Like 1

I'm a recent convert to Matchbox's range of car kits so will watch on with immense interest. I do say, those sprues have cleaned up rather well and I'm sure you will do a cracking job building this kit to your usual high standards. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 26/12/2021 at 22:07, JOCKNEY said:

Classy choice John.

I especially like the rescue element of this kit, good luck.

Cheers Pat 

I built one years ago Pat when I was going through a car building phase, like @malpaso I finished that one in green. I also remember that it was a nice kit to build and this one still looks crisp, so it should go together well.

Cheers

John

23 hours ago, malpaso said:

It came in that box art but was green and tan plastic (so unpainted looked okay), so i wonder if someone has subbed later plastic into your kit box?

@malpaso

Like you I finished a previous build in green with tan interior, but the artwork on the rear of this boxing shows it with a maroon body which matches the plastic in the box. I have not decided on a colour for this one yet, I had thought black body work with either a tan or red interior, but I know that black can be a tricky colour to get right. 

Cheers.

John

17 hours ago, CliffB said:

I can scan you a set of instructions if you'd like some?

Cheers

Thanks for the offer of a scan of instructions Cliff, it would be really useful. 

Regards

John

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I'm a recent convert to Matchbox's range of car kits so will watch on with immense interest. I do say, those sprues have cleaned up rather well and I'm sure you will do a cracking job building this kit to your usual high standards. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

The Flash Kitchen cleaner did a terrific job of removing the paint and chrome from the plastic Dave. I simply left the parts soaking in it for a few days then used an old toothbrush to get the paint out of the corners, it had a nice lemony smell for a short while after too. :lol:

Cheers

John.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've never built any of the Matchbox cars, which is strange as I had most of the Airfix vintage vehicles. I'm following all the vehicle builds with great interest and I can feel an Ebay raid coming on 🙂

John 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 28/12/2021 at 00:24, nimrod54 said:

The Flash Kitchen cleaner did a terrific job of removing the paint and chrome from the plastic Dave.

Sorry John, I've been lead to believe that this is a model building site, so don't want to talk too much about cleaning. But I will... Which flash variant did you use (I have some models I need stripping too and Dettol and isopropanol worked but was particularly messy/smelly and works out quite expensive)?

Good luck with the build, I'll be tagging along for the ride.

David

• Like 1

I hope to make a start on this years group builds soon folks, I am in the process of tidying up a couple of last years missed deadlines over in KUTA 2021, this one being the last of those. I have to finish the lining and add the last details to wrap it up.

51830052601_62a706024b_z.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

3 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Sorry John, I've been lead to believe that this is a model building site, so don't want to talk too much about cleaning. But I will... Which flash variant did you use (I have some models I need stripping too and Dettol and isopropanol worked but was particularly messy/smelly and works out quite expensive)?

Good luck with the build, I'll be tagging along for the ride.

David

This is what I used to strip the paint and chrome from this model David, and this being the first time I had stripped a part finished model, it was a bit of an experiment. I placed the body and seat parts in a zip lock bag and poured neat cleaner over them, after checking that the parts were submerged in the cleaner I left the bag hanging up for a couple of days before brushing them over with an old toothbrush to remove most of the loose paint. I did have to pop the body back in the bag to remove some paint from around some of the details, but that was probably due to my impatience. Since the initial experiment, I have switched to using a plastic sandwich box filled with cleaner which is ideal for smaller parts and also means that you can reuse the product.

51832033539_6f8073bc73_z.jpg51831798618_dfc21b4ef5_z.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I bought a couple of bottles of cleaner in our local Morrisons in June/July for around £1 per bottle, so it shouldn't be too expensive if you need to scale things up.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I used some Tamiya lacquer thinner to remove acrylic paint and was horrified at how good it was. I have no idea what I bought it for, but there's no way I'd allow it anywhere near a painted model now.

It's good to know how easy paint is to remove, and that a paint disaster doesn't necessarily lead to a model being binned. Although I think it can sometimes serve as a good excuse to start something new ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having finished the Class 4 2-6-0 yesterday, I decided it was time I joined the Matchbox party and made a start on this today. Armed with a copy instructions from CliffB's kit, I assembled the engine, gearbox and chassis then primed all of that up, along with the exhaust manifold. After allowing time for the primer to dry I sprayed some Satin Black on the chassis assembly, the next job will be to paint the engine block, cylinder head/rocker cover, gearbox and manifold.

51852529884_b9f134a646_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

I spent the past week prepping parts, painting them up and then I assembled the engine before fixing that in the chassis.

51863757073_595c7b7ded_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51864002679_432f349dc0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I also took some time to tidy up the edges of the body at the sprue attachment points, damaged due to careless removal by the previous owner. I filled them with superglue, then sanded and polished the filled areas.

51862715757_2e0154834a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

51862715837_cc53e30471_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Next job will be to get the chassis rolling and fit the rest of the parts to the underside.

Cheers

John

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Mike Dean said:

Lovely work so far. The engine detail looks first rate.

Cheers Mike. I did a bit of work on the exhaust this morning, removing the tailpipes and replacing them with some lengths of brass tube.

51865548827_ac09de4c9c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 8

7 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I did a bit of work on the exhaust this morning, removing the tailpipes and replacing them with some lengths of brass tube.

A nice touch John.  All I could manage on my MG was to take a drill bit to the tip of the exhaust.  I've definitely got 'tailpipe envy' now!

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, CliffB said:

A nice touch John.  All I could manage on my MG was to take a drill bit to the tip of the exhaust.  I've definitely got 'tailpipe envy' now!

Thanks Cliff, all part of a (un)lucky mistake really. After successfully drilling out the horns I tried to do the same for the pipes, but short sightedness led to me drilling one off centre and that wouldn't do, so it was out with the brass tubing.

I was hoping to get them painted up today but it is too wet to get out to do that, and Mrs N doesn't like me using rattle cans in the house for some reason.:shrug: I know! How unreasonable can you get? :winkgrin:

John

• Haha 3