Amodel X-55

Merry Christmas people.

I'd like to add this, or rather, these:

211226a box 211226b bits and obitsu

There are two cruise missiles in the box. The one on the box-top is an X-55 and the one with the bulges, bottom right (= fuel tanks), is the X-55M. One needs to be in transport mode as there is only one set of wings and one engine in the box. There's a trolley, whose sprue I've missed in this photo, for the transport-mode one. The "Obitsu Body" thing is a base/holder for a doll-figure which I'll modify to be a stand/base for the missiles.

This was midnight last night as you see. I thought I'd assemble the airframe pieces and brass rod to engage with the base,

211226c airframe bits

, and then get to bed one-ish to be up bright and breezy, glue dry, to go for the superman option....

So, it took me till 3am to get the airframes sorted out and I woke up less-than-bright-and-breezy at 10am! The glue is very dry. I am now going for the 24 hours over three days, great escape, option.

These were my first comestibles:

211226d tablet treatment

Sore teeth. I must have taken these tabs about tooth-hurty in retrospect.

211226e X-55 stand holder

This is the X-55 half fuselage with the wings on and the tail drilled out to take the bit of brass. It's just tacked on with superglue here and then that was re-inforced with epoxy before assembling the missiles and engine pod.

Here they all are glued up and clamped at 3 o'clock in the bleeding morning.

211226f glue drying

Very late breakfast and tablet treatment:

211226g brunch

I do think I should be given more time, say a week, for being on tablet treatment, Enzo.

Good to go again now:

211226h restart

So that's 3 hours gone, albeit 14 hours in.

Alan

Edited by Angus Tura
peppered with errors
  • Like 4

Thanks chaps. I wouldn't be too sympathetic about the ailment: pulpitis. Entirely my own fault according to Mrs.Tura and a consequence of my continuing devotion to the Scottish diet. The tablets are antibiotics and painkillers and other that irn-bru and vodka being off the menu, I'm not feeling an particular pain.

I don't really have any progress pictures for you, as you'll see.

20211226_153222

Lunch: Mrs.Tura's excellent capon as a sandwich with excellent Sainsbury's mango chutney.

20211226_200210

Tea: Stuffing and ham, also by Mrs.T (and Sainsbury's).

Here's my stop point.

20211227_002416

I stopped at midnight, and had to have a couple of family hours earlier. So, I think I've got 13 hours tomorrow.

You could be forgiven for thinking that, other than sticking on the engine, I haven't done anything all day. However, I have spent an extremely tedious day getting rid of sink marks and seams.

20211227_002612

Bedtime. Night night.

20211227_005234

mañana, amigos,

Angus

• Like 2

So, today so far has been quite christmas-ish because of an epiphany I just had.

I finally got all the seams done by 11.30 when parental duties kicked in.

211227e Restop

It then became clear that, because of a nasty attack of cava-induced lethargy on the part of Mrs.Tura, the parental duties were not going to kick back out again. As of now that remains the case.

I have been despairing of fitting in the remaining 11.5 hours today therefore...until...the epiphany: The blitzenbuild goes on tomorrow! Yippee! I have therefore kicked back to compose this before the next bit of parental taxi-ing.

211227f lunch or tea

Alta Rica, Cheese and onion on toast with Worcestershire and outstanding Polish confection.

Later...

Angus.

Cheese on toast - magnificent! Had the same, but without the onion.

LUFC - you're Leeds and you know you are? 

Might see you in the Championship next year - KRO.

Good luck with the build.

Jinxman, are you ill? Are you seriously suggesting that Leeds United might be relegated? In Bielsa we trust. As they say here in Yorkshire, "I may be wrong, but I highly doubt it." You're a lot more sound on the cheese on toast. 'right up there with Steak au Poivre and Tomato sandwich with chilli sauce.

So, the familial mucking about went on quite a while, to put it mildly.

211227g restart

Finally got restarted here (actually twenty minutes earlier and forgot to photograph,) and got the making of the missiles finished here:

211227h Missiles finished

The tailfins were a bit trying and they're going to need some filling to look OK. Here are the bits of the trolley:

211227i trolley bits

And here's the guts of it stuck together.

211228a Trolley mostly

So, I think that gives me 7 hours tomorrow, family allowing, obviously.

Night, night.

211228b night night

Alan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Deary dear.

So much mucking about today, I won't be able to fit in the 7 available hours:

211228c final restart

This was restarting 6.5 hours before the shutters come down. 

Here are the missiles undercoated Gunze Mr.Surfacer 1500 and I couldn't resist a bit of my favourite paint: alclad II pale burnt metal, just to waste a bit more time, you understand.

211228d missiles undercoated and burnt metal

Back to the trolley,

211228e trolley progress

No time for cooking...while you certainly can turn bad-boy in 4 minutes, you can't get enough thin coats of white Mr.Surfacer 1500, to make an X-55 white, on in less than an hour and a half!

211228f tea and missiles white Mr.Surfacer

Axles on:

211228g More trolley progress.

See you in a bit. I don't know that I'm going to get many stencils on.

Alan

• Like 1

Thanks your jinxfulness. I sort of made it in that I sort-of got the X-55, the flying one done albeit minus decals but although I thought I'd posted just before midnight, I missed it. I have been here before and I imagine its because of lots of activity at that time. I'm not so cross as really neither of them is anything-like finished. The trolley needed a lot more furtling than I thought: it's been designed for the X-55, I think, and needed a lot of mucking about, by blitzbuild standards anyway, to fit the X-55M

Anyway. Thanks much Enzo for the Blitzenbuild which I have hugely enjoyed. See y'all in May.

211229a Finished-ish

Alan

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jinxman said:

I don't what it says about us modellers, but I have one of those Pot Noodles - given to me as a Christmas pressie by one of my daughters - good girl!

Good luck with the build.

It says we have great taste but probably less than great cardiovascular systems.

Alan

• Haha 1